Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 online problem

• 04-08-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    Have had this since it came out and last Thursday it stopped connection to online server games. I got a big update from EA just prior to the problem showing up. Whats the procedure for getting help, is there a number I can dial or is it only the online help encyclopedia which never quite seems to have answers to your specific problem.

I can see plenty of online games with free slots, but cant connect to any of them. battle log shows the "reserving a slot" window on the bottom left of the screen. I have had this before last year but cant remember the details.
    TIA John

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the main executable has updated, then a local firewall may be blocking it.

Alternately, your install my be damaged, though I doubt this. But to check it, right click the origin entry and choose "fix install".

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

This saga has deteriorated significantly since this post. I contacted EA about it and spent quite a while on the phone to them without any joy.They gave me a list of instruction on how to edit the registry to completly remove the game and reinstall it...... everything about the gamelooked fine at their end of the pipe.

In the end i uninstalled battlefield 3 completely which included purging it from the registry using regedit. I left it then for a few days and done a fresh install from the dvd, which of course is not from the dvd at all,..... all the dvd has is an old copy of Origin on it, and the rest is downloaded once you log in to origin.

Needless to say......Origin put up an error before the first k was downloaded, something nondescript, but it installed anyway with errors.When I tried to play a multiplayer through battlelog straight away there was a problem in that it wanted me to download the End Game ad-don. When I use battle-log to try to play a multiplayer game origin has a better idea.......download an update for 8.4.1 which also fails and Im back to where I started out from.

I am not re-installing Windows just to try to fix what is obviously an origin/EA problem. I have virus checked the pc and ran malware bytes just to be on the safe side. its only origin/BF3 that has a problem, all other apps are fine and the pc itself is fine.

Anyone got any suggestions.......other than taking the BF3 disks to the recycling.

Spear wrote: »
    If the main executable has updated, then a local firewall may be blocking it.

Alternately, your install my be damaged, though I doubt this. But to check it, right click the origin entry and choose "fix install".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

try installing it in safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Walker34 wrote: »
    This saga has deteriorated significantly since this post. I contacted EA about it and spent quite a while on the phone to them without any joy.They gave me a list of instruction on how to edit the registry to completly remove the game and reinstall it...... everything about the gamelooked fine at their end of the pipe.

In the end i uninstalled battlefield 3 completely which included purging it from the registry using regedit. I left it then for a few days and done a fresh install from the dvd, which of course is not from the dvd at all,..... all the dvd has is an old copy of Origin on it, and the rest is downloaded once you log in to origin.

Needless to say......Origin put up an error before the first k was downloaded, something nondescript, but it installed anyway with errors.When I tried to play a multiplayer through battlelog straight away there was a problem in that it wanted me to download the End Game ad-don. When I use battle-log to try to play a multiplayer game origin has a better idea.......download an update for 8.4.1 which also fails and Im back to where I started out from.

I am not re-installing Windows just to try to fix what is obviously an origin/EA problem. I have virus checked the pc and ran malware bytes just to be on the safe side. its only origin/BF3 that has a problem, all other apps are fine and the pc itself is fine.

Anyone got any suggestions.......other than taking the BF3 disks to the recycling.

This is not an obvious EA/Origin problem, the problem is most likely local.

Origin will install it from the disk, even though it says downloading, it is downloading the files from the disk. But if you don't have a data cap take out the disk and download direct from Origin. The data on the disk is two years old and has been updated a bunch of times. Download the fresh game files from Origin if you can at all.

From what you have posted it looks as if Origin is struggling to connect online to update. Each time it tries it fails and gives errors. This is most likely what is causing it and you need to try and figure out what has changed on your system that is blocking it.

The culprits usually turn out to be antivirus or windows defender. What anti virus have you? is it Mcafee or Norton both are notoriously bad for this, did you have a trial for either? They often update on Wednesday night too.

Try do a clean boot or boot in safe mode with networking and see if Origin will update and install the game that way. If it does then you know its a local software issue and you need to look at getting that fixed.

Advertisement