Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cnoic Caislean in the Ballygunner village

Options
  • 04-08-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Well guys. We're on the budget of 180k, mortgage approved. Out of all houses available in Waterford we think the new build 4/5 bed in Cnoic Caislean is the best value for money. My question is - do you think the Cnoic Caislean is rather good or rather bad estate? Bacause the estates such as Farmleigh or Paddocks might seem to be a good address, however every person buying a house for their family would rather stay away from them these days (no offence please, just how I think people see it). So do you think the Cnoic Caislean could end up as a bad estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

Myself And my gf were looking at these recently looks like a nice estate the 4/5 bedrooms are great value house and build wise! Seems to be a good few kids living there in the 2 and 3 bed houses so could turn out anyway in the future no real way of telling I suppose! Our man reason for not buying was that all the well placed 5 beds are now gone other than the showhouse and the two new 5 beds are being built right in the centre of the estate and every single house can nearly look straight into ur back yard which means less privacy! So they aren't quite the bargin the 5 bed in the cul the sacs are! Hope the bit of feedback helps ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

It did help in a way. Thanks a milion.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

Re: Cnoic Caislean

Mmmmm, pros and cons IMO (viewed them last year).

Pros:

* Seem well built (decent builder from what I hear).

* Will be energy efficient (solar panels etc.)

* New houses (very few new around)

* Price seems ok (not a bargain nowadays IMO, but prob ok on balance i think at 170k?).

Cons:

* The 4 beds are very small for a 4 bed IMO (tiny garage room etc.)

* Built a bit on top of each other (tight cul de sacs with little green area etc.)

* No curb appeal IMO. Please don't take offence/lynch me anyone, but they look a lot like council houses to me, especially being built next to the nice big Ballygunner Village houses. I know that the houses there are not council houses (some part V social housing there iirc) but they give me that first impression, esp. the terraced ones (my OH said exactly the same thing when we viewed them). Just my impression, no doubt others will differ and/or not care.

* Ballygunner is not as desirable a spot as it once was (ref. the big social housing estate etc.) (the OP made reference to "good" and "bad" estates, so is clearly interested in this sort of thing). Hard to know how good/bad CC will be as an estate, but it will never be in a position to "look down" on any established Dunmore Rd estate IMO - bar the Dunmore Rd being very popular with renters (i.e. people want to live there) I have heard nothing bad about it or about there being any "bad" estates there (I know people who own and live in houses in: Earlscourt, Farmleigh, Viewmount and Collins Ave and are all very happy where they are FYI). I would favour the Dunmore Rd or Williamstown Rd over CC/Ballygunner personally but thats just my opinion.

Anyway, just one opinion OP, so take heed/ignore as it suits (you did ask!:)). Good luck wherever you end up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I looked at these houses before and there were a few things that turned me off the place.

1. There are no actual chimneys in the houses so you cannot have a solid fuel fire and have to use a gas fire or do a good bit of work to get a stove put in properly.

2. The estate has no real grass verges or decent footpaths so the road feels like it ends right at your house.

3. The biggest thing for me though was that the estate will still take some time to complete fully and you will have to put up with construction dust, noise and traffic and then it will probably take years for the estate to be taken in hand by the council for maintenance purposes if ever...

Other then that the houses themselves are alright but on the small side...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Hi guys,

I've been living in Cnoic Caislean five years now. Majority seem to be first time buyers like myself, which will surely mean in the coming years it will be a very family ordinated estate.

The development is almost complete so I wouldn't be at all nervous ablout living in an unfinished estate.

The last few four beds maybe over looked but a bit of clever planting, trees/hedging would solve that problem.

Since we've been here we have had no problems with the house or the estate, and liam the builder was always very good to deal with.

I don't see oursleves moving from here as we have great neighbours and the general area is quiet and everyone is friendly.

If you need to know anything else feel free to drop me a PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement