Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week long ban from After Hours.

Options
  • 04-08-2013 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Hello,

How are all ye handsome lads doing? I am currently on the receiving end of a week long ban from AH as I allegedly made a racist comment on a thread about the merits of fried rice versus boiled rice and why is there a price difference.
    The OP did not know the difference and among the comments were the usual terrible puns such as 'Flied lice' and 'something wong'.

I made the comment 'There must be a chink in your armour'. It is clear it nothing but a harmless terrible pun as chink can mean a flaw and is not aimed at anyone in a racist manner. I understand the racial connections with the word but it is clearly non existent in the context I used it and is nothing more than a harmless terrible pun like the others in the thread which went unwarned and un-infracted. I however got a straight ban, I could understand an infraction or on thread warning but Dr. B edited my post after another comment had been made which was very close to my comment; 'you have found the chink in my armour', made by another poster. I assumed he would be back to infract so I came back a few hours later and nothing was done and my comment was the only one with action taken against it. I asked why was no action taken against the other posters but was ignored and was given a vague answer saying chink is a racist word.

I have got in contact but am being ignored now.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi lkionm,

Apologies for the delay. I've looked over this for you now.
    lkionm wrote: »
    I made the comment 'There must be a chink in your armour'. It is clear it nothing but a harmless terrible pun as chink can mean a flaw and is not aimed at anyone in a racist manner. I understand the racial connections with the word but it is clearly non existent in the context I used it and is nothing more than a harmless terrible pun like the others in the thread which went unwarned and un-infracted.

Given what the thread was about, it's pretty clear that you were using the word "chink" as a pun given how it relates to Chinese people. Given that your previous bans from After Hours have been for one day and three days, along with a previous warning and infraction, I think a one week ban is acceptable in this case. Please take more care in how you post in future.

I am upholding the ban. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish, or allow this dispute to be marked as resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I understand the length of the ban, next is 3 months, 6 months. The length of the ban is not being disputed as it could have easily been for a day or 3 days. Thats just how the cookie crumbles.

DR. B informed me the other poster got a red card for using the same word in the same thread, it didnt show up for me when I signed out so will have to take his word on that one. For me it seems strange that the same word from 2 different posters can justify 2 different actions. I get a ban 'for my petty record' and the other poster gets a slap on the wrist after I brought the point to the mod since he saw the word before he banned me. For me an infraction would have been the fairest course of justice, or an on thread warning if he was feeling lenient that day as it is very clear there is no malice or intent to provoke from any poster.
    My bans/infractions were for 2 noob mistakes from not reading the charter, pointing out a spelling mistake. 3 out of the 5 infractions I got have been reversed.
    My 2 bans were from an ex mod who recently admitted he went overboard in his recent modding of AH and it was too much. That was for suggesting someone take a date to a graveyard for tea because his mother had passed away so couldnt take the girl to his mothers for tea. Hardly monocle popping.
    The second ban was for a traveller bashing thread we had a while back, which is grand.
    I will be careful in the future in what words I use. There wasn't obviously a need to use the word chink apart to make a terrible pun.

I would like an Admin please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Keep up the good work lads.

winky face

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You're a charmer, aren't you.

I'll tell you what else you are: wasting our time. Context is everything: one word does not always equal the same action. One person might have a clean record and make a slip vs someone with an extensive record who should know better, but yet manages to keep breaching the rules.

So yes, this stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement