Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excavator hit underground Esb cable

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yes, can you tell us how much the guy had originally agreed to do the job for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I would be holding back retention money on the digger driver,the main contractor,if the cable was not at minimum dept and yourself for not having a banksman with the machine driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

tipptom wrote: »
    I would be holding back retention money on the digger driver,the main contractor,if the cable was not at minimum dept and yourself for not having a banksman with the machine driver.

A banksman! Really? For levelling a bit of top soil, jesus lads was it a 6 year old driving the machine. He ****ed up, he should pay for the mistake.

Also the OP said the driver admitted to having hit a cable before, so he should have been extra careful.

A banksman! Really? For levelling a bit of top soil, jesus lads was it a 6 year old driving the machine. He ****ed up, he should pay for the mistake.

Also the OP said the driver admitted to having hit a cable before, so he should have been extra careful.
    Obviously he must have had a few other jobs besides levelling to go down that dept but I agree the driver should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

Obviously he must have had a few other jobs besides levelling to go down that dept but I agree the driver should be shot.

Hey back home again, didn't get chance to ring Esb with time difference and everything, the reason he went down to this depth was because he was taking level of garden down in this corner and he stripped topsoil off and wanted to remove subsoil in order to put topsoil back over to ensure enough surface for lawns flower beds ect. I don't want to see anyone outta pocket it was a mistake we all make them:o Afew here mentioned paying him minus whatever the Esb costs to repair but as job is currently working out around €500-€600 mark if the Esb come back with bill of €1500+vat we will be seriously out of pocket and even if we half the bill he will still owe us money and judging by his attitude at the moment he will leave us sing for it. As I said before I have no bother paying people what their owed but he is expecting us to pay for his mistakes, maybe he wants to keep it from his insurance company as it may cause his premium to increase because he hit underground power cables before....
    Or maybe he has no public liability insurance?
    But I think he has as he does a lot of machine work in area.......

• Advertisement

Whatever his instructions were,he dug out sub soil to the dept of the elec cable and I can only presume that he was only going to put back on 5-6 inches max of top soil back on, which would be a crazy thing to do considering there should 24 inches min cover.

Its a bit of a messy situation and if you could get him to contribute to the cost and take the hit on the rest of it yourself would be the best outcome of a bad situation.

If he is not accepting any responsibility I would tell him that you think he should employ somebody who CAN drive a machine and is not a danger to all around and let him sing for his €600.

Yes, can you tell us how much the guy had originally agreed to do the job for?

There was no agreed price for job only a quotation which he said €60/hr for dumper and digger he reckoned it would be €900 max, based on two full days work he did in total €620 worth of work going off this quotation per hr.

Whatever his instructions were,he dug out sub soil to the dept of the elec cable and I can only presume that he was only going to put back on 5-6 inches max of top soil back on, which would be a crazy thing to do considering there should 24 inches min cover.

Its a bit of a messy situation and if you could get him to contribute to the cost and take the hit on the rest of it yourself would be the best outcome of a bad situation.

If he is not accepting any responsibility I would tell him that you think he should employ somebody who CAN drive a machine and is not a danger to all around and let him sing for his €600.

No nobody knew for definite how deep conduit was buried so it was unknown before we started, the garden has been left raised (original level)with subsoil and topsoil intact over the conduit but its safer in long run, so it still has full cover of soil

Advertisement