Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom free upgrade. what's it all about?

• 04-08-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Question about Eircom broadband here.

My mother currently has ADSL with them and when checking the number I see eFibre is due later in the year. Anyway, she gets around 4Mbps and when I checked the sky availability checker, sure enough they only offer 3.9Mbps to her.

So, when I use the Eircom line checker and it tells me she could be upgraded to "up to 24Mbps" before being upgraded to eFibre when it is finally rolled out, what are Eircom talking about? Is there a realistic upgrade there with ADSL+ to something useful, if so, will they give her a half decent modem (one that supports VoIP)?

Or are Eircom just spinning yarns about the "intermediate" upgrade possibility before eFibre arrives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Was changing supplier recently and asked them exactly that. "Up to" is meaningless really, if your mothers line will only get 4mbps then that's all she will get regardless of any upgrade. She can only get increased speeds if she upgrades to efibre which requires the installation of a new socket and modem. IMO, eircom weren't offering the best deal for the upgrade but it depends on her usage.
    I would totally steer clear of UPC too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

UPC doesn't offer BB to her road in any case, so she's suck (not that she even knows it) with a xDSL based solution for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The eircom site only has two outputs: Congrats you can get it now OR Its coming in X and you can get 24Mb now. Even for Extended reach 6 lines. Dont believe it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

murphaph wrote: »
    Is there a realistic upgrade there with ADSL+ to something useful, if so, will they give her a half decent modem (one that supports VoIP)?

For a VOIP call you need 100Kbps up and down. So a broadband connection as you mentioned above is enough. To give bandwidth priority to the VoIP device, you can setup QoS at the router which litterly only takes a minute. The modems Eircom supply will support VoIP yes. Most modems do.

Thanks folks.

So, I think we're just going to leave it with Eircom for another few months until eFibre is actually available and then take this for €20 and port her number to Blueface and take their €10 a month pack for telephony.

As an aside we got our own upgrade here in Berlin this morning. €30 a month for 50Mbps/10Mbps with flat rate calls to all German landlines and a quality, configurable router (FritzBox 7360).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That utv thing doesn't add up for me.

Even non fibre is coming up at €17 a month including line rental

http://www.utvconnect.ie/residential/broadband/broadband/broadband-only/

But then elsewhere on the site its €13 plus line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Mr. G wrote: »
    For a VOIP call you need 100Kbps up and down. So a broadband connection as you mentioned above is enough. To give bandwidth priority to the VoIP device, you can setup QoS at the router which litterly only takes a minute. The modems Eircom supply will support VoIP yes. Most modems do.

Just on a technical note. It's 100Kbps for G.711 [uncompressed]
    You can get away with 20Kbps [maybe less] for G.729 [compressed]. Blueface, and many other providers, support G.729.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That utv thing doesn't add up for me.

Even non fibre is coming up at €17 a month including line rental
    It sort of does add up though...

The "non-fibre" product possibly costs UTV more because they need a POTS line right back to the exchange for it to work. With VDSL you have no "real" POTS line presumably if you go with UTV (at least that's how it works in Germany...only Deutsche Telekom VDSL customers retain an actual POTS line to the exchange, the resellers all axe that and only provide you with VoIP telephony (which I have absolutely no problem with).

Just a thought?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

RangeR wrote: »
    Just on a technical note. It's 100Kbps for G.711 [uncompressed]
    You can get away with 20Kbps [maybe less] for G.729 [compressed]. Blueface, and many other providers, support G.729.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Bandwidth+consumption

G.711 - 87.2 Kbps
    G.729 - 31.2 Kbps

G.729 is like mobile quality, and G711 is better than a landline call. In reality I would give at least 100 Kbps for a G711 call and 50 Kbps for a G729.

Advertisement