Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surbiton west london

Options
  • 04-08-2013 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

any of you know surbiton or live there, what it like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

If I recall correctly, this was set in Surbiton. Looked nice in the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Its pretty far out from central London, its in zone 6 I think. It seems like a nice area; very suburban.
    Its near Kingston which is a bit studenty, but a bit more livelier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

mitosis wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, this was set in Surbiton. Looked nice in the 70's

You are absolutely right. The Good Life was set in Surbiton. Even to this day fans of the series drive around to find Tom and Barbara's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's South West London, most of the suburbs there have decent pubs, restaurants, shops, schools etc and have been spared the New Labour treatment, go either direction towards Heathrow or Croydon and it's sh!te but none of that would impinge on you in Surbiton.

Barnes, Putney, Mortlake, Teddington and Twickenham are all decent areas as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Nice enough place. Good train service to Waterloo so pushes prices a bit though.
    Near enough to Kingston. All that area is nice but like anywhere has a 'chavy' element in parts.

Anorak moment....The house in the Good Life were filmed elsewhere Ealing / Uxbridge way...just saying :)

never been there before so i'm glad surbiton is sounding decent, got a pal living over there who i gonna house share with.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I think there is a night bus from central London to there, so you have a cheap option for partying with drunks on the way home :)

It is walking distance from Kingston and about 15 mins on the faster trains from Waterloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

harney wrote: »
    I think there is a night bus from central London to there...
    Which probably takes about 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

djpbarry wrote: »
    Which probably takes about 3 days.

Given my night bus to St Reatham use to take 45 minutes (If I didn't fall asleep or have to get off for a call of nature) an hour from Central London is more likely

• Advertisement

Given my night bus to St Reatham use to take 45 minutes (If I didn't fall asleep or have to get off for a call of nature) an hour from Central London is more likely
    Surbiton is a hell of a lot further out than Streatham?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Layinghen wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. The Good Life was set in Surbiton. Even to this day fans of the series drive around to find Tom and Barbara's house.

The good life was film in Northwood. nice area.

Surbiton is a hell of a lot further out than Streatham?!?

At two in morning them night buses do move , have gotten from Streatham to Regent street at 4:30 in the morning in half an hour .

Nice things to be on after the 0300 rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

At two in morning them night buses do move , have gotten from Streatham to Regent street at 4:30 in the morning in half an hour .

Yeah, I don't think they have the timed stops en route so there's no cruising at 15mph or pulling up at bus stops with nobody at them.

Took me well over an hour to get from Shoreditch to Clapham Common Station on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

It's probably not the best place to live if you're looking for a lot of central London night life - those long distance night buses should be reserved for rare and desperate situations!
    I live a few miles further south, and love my area. Lots of open spaces, greenery, quiet, good public transport but driving is easy, and as mentioned, very suburban.
    What sort of information are you looking to find out about it?

i've been told it about 30 min to get to the heart of london by train so i will have the best of both world, i like the sound of the area in surbiton. i check the map it not far from hampton court so cant wait

i've been told it about 30 min to get to the heart of london by train...
    It'll be expensive though doing that journey on a regular basis, so don't forget to factor that in. A monthly travelcard for Zones 1-6 is over £200.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

i've been told it about 30 min to get to the heart of london by train so i will have the best of both world, i like the sound of the area in surbiton. i check the map it not far from hampton court so cant wait
    It is and I love the train services, but trains finish before midnight and cost about £8 return.

It'll be expensive though doing that journey on a regular basis, so don't forget to factor that in. A monthly travelcard for Zones 1-6 is over £200.

i wont be working in the capital , just areas nearby like kingston, wimbledon or richmond

• Advertisement

Took me well over an hour to get from Shoreditch to Clapham Common Station on Sunday morning.

Sunday Morning is not 0300 , and you should have got the tube from Old Street

Sunday Morning is not 0300...
    I meant the wee small hours of Sunday morning, obviously.

I meant the wee small hours of Sunday morning, obviously.

Teach you to get rat arsed in a trendy area :pac: nae probs getting home from staid old W1 ;)

Teach you to get rat arsed in a trendy area :pac:
    Not something I'm intending on make a habit of - I was brought there against my will.

Not something I'm intending on make a habit of - I was brought there against my will.

I now live around the corner from the place and avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Sorry for dragging everything off track with the night bus debate :o

I live a little further out and have to shell out £273.80 for the pleasure of getting to work every month :(

The fast train takes about 15 - 17 mins from Surbiton into Waterloo, but it ends quite soon after midnight.

Apparently there is or was a 24 hour bus between Kingston and Surbiton but I walked it one evening and it wasn't a terrible walk. Google maps shows it at around 29 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

biZrb wrote: »
    Its pretty far out from central London, its in zone 6 I think. It seems like a nice area; very suburban.
    Its near Kingston which is a bit studenty, but a bit more livelier.

Only 20 mins to Waterloo though...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Nice enough place. Good train service to Waterloo so pushes prices a bit though.
    Near enough to Kingston. All that area is nice but like anywhere has a 'chavy' element in parts.

Anorak moment....The house in the Good Life were filmed elsewhere Ealing / Uxbridge way...just saying :)

I believe Thomas Hardy lived there at some point also

it official i'm going next week on monday (bank holiday)

cant wait:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement