Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Require advice regarding TV licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

what? didnt understand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What dont you understand?

Gatling wrote: »
    So a large monitor to watch TV

sorry don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tonyheaney wrote: »
    :confused: Hey there guy and girls I have a question i could REALLY use your help. My neighbour got a letter in the door saying they have a limited time to get the TV licence. They are an all Chinese family and do not watch TV. The have a large monitor which could be a TV but as they do not own a serview box the TV set/ computer monitor is not capable of receiving any sort of signal, even if they wanted to. So it is nothing more than a monitor for which they watch Chinese TV and talk to their family using a webcam which is attached to the TV which is in turn attached to a laptop computer.

Do they still need to buy the pointless TV licence?

Cheers in advance

If the letter was address to the "occupant" then they don't really have a issue.

If the letter was address to the "occupant" then they don't really have a issue.

erm? it was addressed to the good folk who live in the house, of course it applies to them

• Advertisement

erm? it was addressed to the good folk who live in the house, of course it applies to them

No name, no bill. Just a empty threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

No name, no bill. Just a empty threat.

I've been trying to figure out whether this is actually fact or urban myth.

Received a note in the dorr the other day stating that we have 5 days to buy a licence. I've the form ready to go, but still resent paying €160 a year for the rest of my life to support RTE and it's shambolic productions.

If I'm actually paying towards the services, shouldn't we have the right to demand they reduce their service to one station, providing items of public value only. Not to mention, hiring people for reasonable salaries.

Why am I being forced to contribute to the production of Fair City!?! I don't watch it, and see no value to it's existence from a cultural or informational stand-point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I resent paying for it too- especially as I can't even receive RTE/TV3/TnaG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

well the use it to watch youtube or cctv Chinese tv and qq (chinese msn)

So then they are using it as a television?

So then they are using it as a television?

not any more they got rid and are using the lap top, and awaiting a visit from the sand man when he arrives :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

not any more they got rid and are using the lap top, and awaiting a visit from the sand man when he arrives :D;)

They're sorted until January then- at which time they have to pay for the laptop........

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure out whether this is actually fact or urban myth.

Not a Myth. You can't fine or summons "the homeowner". You have to find out who that is. Only real way a license inspector can do so is to ask at the door.

They're sorted until January then- at which time they have to pay for the laptop........

hypothetically speaking :rolleyes: what would happen if i bought a landline, read books and newspapers used my old nokia 6310, had a old style radio ;)... all with out the aid of my time machine of course :D then what :D

Not a Myth. You can't fine or summons "the homeowner". You have to find out who that is. Only real way a license inspector can do so is to ask at the door.

they can easily say me spek no engish" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Property tax means that is not very difficult at all, if the organisations have an agerrment to share information.
    Obviously you would have to have registered for LPT, which i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

hypothetically speaking :rolleyes: what would happen if i bought a landline, read books and newspapers used my old nokia 6310, had a old style radio ;)... all with out the aid of my time machine of course :D then what :D

Still have to pay
    Its based off any device that can receive public information

Radio ,phone ,laptop,tablet ,games console and so on and so on

Gatling wrote: »
    Still have to pay
    Its based off any device that can receive public information

Radio ,phone ,laptop,tablet ,games console and so on and so on

hmmm think ill go live in a cave haha:D:D:D:D

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Property tax means that is not very difficult at all, if the organisations have an agerrment to share information.

Information sharing does not exist within our government departments.

Advertisement