Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrived to Cork for work, but don't like the place. Having a cultural shock.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The 202 DOES go to Blackrock! It'll take about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Hollyhill in peak hours though. Ballintemple and Ballinlough are also good areas south of the river. Douglas and Bishopstown are also nice and I happen to know a few people from Apple living there.

The shopping centre at Blackpool is OK, but limited selection of shops. Apart from that - I don't like the area, but that's a personal thing!

Ballyvolane is a nice area, but although it's only 2.5 miles away from Apple, you have to go halfway round the world to get there if using public transpsort. You need to get a 207 into town, then wait for for a 202 to get you there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Grustel25

infosys wrote: »
    Hi OP.

Wellington road is not the best place in the city to stay. If you need a place for a couple of weeks that's cheap is student accomodation. http://www.deanshall.com/about.asp?p=summer-lettings---accommodation-in-cork-city-for-students-including-self-catering-apartments

All the student accomodation do summer short term lets.

Things to do in cork, if you like chocolate go to o'Connaill's on French Church Street, for a hot chocolate. Take a walk around the English market for nice food ideas.

For long term accomodation I would say try to stay city centre there are only a couple of good apartment complexes. What is your budget?

BTW the weather has been crap the past few days cork never good in the rain lol. If you like good wine take a walk to lattitude over on Anglesea street for a nice glass, if you want the real irish pub experience call in next door to Charlie's beware of the early morning drinkers.

My budget is around E600/month for either a studio or a flat. So, you suggest staying in the city? But you are right, I haven't seen any decent places to rent here. Thank you for the tips. I don't drink, but the idea of good chocolate is great!

The 202 DOES go to Blackrock! It'll take about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Hollyhill in peak hours though. Ballintemple and Ballinlough are also good areas south of the river. Douglas and Bishopstown are also nice and I happen to know a few people from Apple living there.

The shopping centre at Blackpool is OK, but limited selection of shops. Apart from that - I don't like the area, but that's a personal thing!

Ballyvolane is a nice area, but although it's only 2.5 miles away from Apple, you have to go halfway round the world to get there if using public transpsort. You need to get a 207 into town, then wait for for a 202 to get you there!!

So, is it quite easy to get to Apple from Bishopstown, Douglas, Ballinlough and Ballintemple? Or do I need to take a couple of buses.
    Just checked Blackrock, seems nice indeed. Nothing for rent though hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Grustel25 wrote: »
    My budget is around E600/month for either a studio or a flat. So, you suggest staying in the city? But you are right, I haven't seen any decent places to rent here. Thank you for the tips. I don't drink, but the idea of good chocolate is great!

If you are willing to share then €600 a month will get you a fair place, for example 2 bed really nice apartment in the Elysian currently on market for €1,400, so sharing €700 a month http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1364296 this is the top end of the market.

Getting a place by yourself for €600 is going to be neigh on impossible.

Worth a look very close to City and I think bus to work goes close by http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1367111

So, is it quite easy to get to Apple from Bishopstown, Douglas, Ballinlough and Ballintemple? Or do I need to take a couple of buses.
    Just checked Blackrock, seems nice indeed. Nothing for rent though hehe.

Ballinlough, Blackrock and Ballintemple are on the 202 route. So only one bus. Douglas it'll be a 207, or a 215 (I think, but open to correction) into town, then the 202. Bishopstown will be a 208 in, then 202 as before.

• Advertisement

Ballinlough, Blackrock and Ballintemple are on the 202 route. So only one bus. Douglas it'll be a 207, or a 215 (I think, but open to correction) into town, then the 202. Bishopstown will be a 208 in, then 202 as before.

Oh great, that did answer most of my questions. Now, what would I do without you:)? Probably, sit on the laptop all day, trying to figure out the bus network system:). Thanks a ton for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sorry to hear your not settling in, but keep positive Cork is a great place once you get to know it. Don't take any notice of a couple of rude people you get them everywhere, “Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There are a few of things to bear in mind about Cork.

Firstly, it's a *lot* smaller than London in terms of population, so quite obviously it's not going to have all the stuff London has and it can be quite a change to go from a huge city to a small one.

Secondly, it's mostly a Victorian City which tends to mean that the nicer accommodation is very hidden. If you walk through Montenotte, Blackrock, Sundays Well, there are absolutely huge houses but they are all hidden away behind walls and look completely invisible when you walk down the streets. However, if you walk along the riverfront at the Marnia or the Mardyke you'll see huge victorian villas perched on the hills.

Thirdly, I'd suggest getting out of a hostel a.s.a.p. Anywhere I've ever stayed in one they're absolutely miserable. It's fine if you're there as a back packer with loads of your mates and are willing to rough it, but if you're a grown-up with a job, they're not great places at all and you're unlikely to have the same kind of interests as the other guests.

Also bear in mind that in a small city (much like any small city in England) accommodation tends to focus around houses rather than apartments. So, if you've a decent income and you're planning on staying a while, I would start looking in areas like Blackrock, Douglas, Rochestown, maybe Wilton, Bishopstown if that's near where you work or if you're on the northside maybe Montenotte and Sundays Well.

It has loads of really nice accommodation it's just a matter of looking and avoiding the lowest rungs of the ladder in the city centre.

A lot of Cork people actually live in towns around the city so, keep that option open too.

Bear in mind too that there's a bit of a North/South divide in Cork, albeit not quite as clear cut as that. The area to the Northwest where Apple's located is a large collection of council estates. If you go to the Northeast it becomes a lot more affluent and leafy but kind of out of most people's price range.

On the south side, there's more of a suburban vibe. Areas like Douglas in particular have a nice suburban setting with loads of restaurants and bars and shops etc.

I had a very similar experience in London. Moved over and was working in quite an interesting job but my accommodation was horrendous. It was so bad I hardly ever went home before 9pm to avoid it and spent a lot of time miserable until I found a new house share.

It can be quite tough moving to a new city but I really think you'll grasp Cork quite quickly. It's just a matter of cracking the accent :)

In general, it's not very different to a small UK city in most respects and tends to have quite a bit more going on than most.

Check out the Rough Guides and Trip Adviser for a lot of tips.
    Also, I'd say wander into a few artsy events or join something.

www.triskelartscentre.ie might be a good starting point for example.

Cork's not quite as buzzing as it was in 2005-7 but it's still got a decent amount of stuff going on for quite a small city.

Also you've just arrived in the middle of a major downturn in the weather. It had been stunning for the last few weeks. I'm sure the heavy showers aren't helping.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in a small city like this, public transport is not how most people operate.
    Ireland's one of the most car dependent countries on earth and you will not be able to access a lot of stuff without a car.
    So, I would strongly suggest that you get one a.s.a.p. If you don't have a driving license, apply for a provisional and learn to drive.
    A full UK or any EU license is valid here for driving and the rules of the road are very similar to the UK. The only differences are the shapes of the road signs and the speeds and distances are in KM rather than miles.

It's a really big issue, you're moving to what is essentially a city that is the hub of a big hinterland of interesting towns and villages with huge scenery around it and to access that you need a car.

London's the other extreme where a car's a major pain in the rear and public transport's the only way of accessing most things.

In the short term, I'd say base yourself in good quality apartment accommodation or a house that's in reach of the city centre. Check the bus routes carefully before committing to a lease if you're in the suburbs.

If you're home sick, get yourself a Tesco Mobile SIM. The calls to international destinations, including UK landlines are extremely cheap.

You can pick them up at the Kiosk in the Tesco on Paul Street.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your not settling in, but keep positive Cork is a great place once you get to know it. Don't take any notice of a couple of rude people you get them everywhere, “Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.”

Love this phrase! Just on the spot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hm, I think I meant Blackpool :), but mistyped:). I only passed it and the shopping centre seemed all right, though who knows?
    As for Blackrock, how do I get to Hollyhill from there? I know 202 doesn't pass Blackrock. Am I right? do i need to change a couple of buses?

While this will be heavily disputed, many of the nicer areas tend to be south of the river in Cork. That's not to say that the north side doesn't have nice areas because it does, but it has less of them than the south. The problem with that is that naturally, the south side is a lot further from Apple.

If you're staying around Wellington Road, it's far from the nicest part of Cork. It's quite rough around those parts these days, and the streets around it like McCurtain Street aren't great either (although kind of up-and-coming). Like any city in the world, the inner city is never that great and always tends to be rougher than further out.

The 202 does go to Blackrock, but you need to stay on it through the city centre. It goes from Mahon to the city centre to Hollyhill and back. From the city centre, it goes from alongside the bus station on Parnell Place out to Blackrock.

I've had a look on daft, and there's quite a bit available in nice-looking house shares in decent areas for good prices. Here's some:

Old Blackrock Road, which would be a 5 minute walk to the nearest 202 bus stop, bringing you straight to Apple: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=726769

Blarney Street, which isn't the best area but the house looks lovely, and it's relatively close to Apple: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=724382

Parnell Place, right by the bus to Apple and to Blackrock (although might be noisy at night): http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=729736

Near Anglesey Street, so city centre and close to the bus. Friendly sounding housemates: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=727681

River Towers is a gorgeous location in Sunday's Well: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=729137

Old Blackrock Road again: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=707464

Victoria Avenue - no photos available, but again, right on the 202 line and near to the city: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=694604

Another lovely looking place on Old Blackrock Road: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=729414

That's 8 places you could arrange immediate viewings of. Frankly, the sooner you're out of the hostel, the happier you'll be. They're only in the city centre too, there's tons more places out there in specific neighbourhoods (like Sunday's Well: http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=722419 and http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=728563).

• Advertisement

Cork City Bus Routes:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Cork

Sadly, Bus Eireann's site's absolutely useless and treats Cork City routes as if they were some kind of after thought, however it's a source of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have been exploring the city for the last 2 days and haven't really seen any decent areas yet. Maybe, I am not going to the right places? I live 2 minutes walk from the city, Wellington road and have walked around the whole city, including all the possible "quays", Patrick street, UCC etc. took a bus to Apple, so passed Gurranabraher and other areas, but liked none. Blackpoll seems nice, but it is a long way from where I work. So, not even sure where to look. There doesn't seem to be much advertised on daft.
    As for B and Bs, all of them were very expensive at the time. I need to stay somewhere for another 2 weeks and then I am planning to look for my own flat to rent.

Yeah, you are not going to the right areas. You're way up the northside. There are lovely parts of the northside, but holyhill, gurranabraher and blackpool are not great. The inner city quays wouldn't be great either.

Head to the southside instead. Douglas, blackrock, ballintemple. The 202 does go to blackrock. No bus change needed.

I'm assuming you're working in Apple?

There's a good sense of community up there too. I'd suggest that maybe you have a word with the HR team and see if they've any advice on accommodation too or if they could put you in touch with someone in the office who might be able to act as a bit of a tour guide?

Or, even in an informal way just ask some of your colleagues if they could show you around.

From what I gather, they're a friendly bunch and there are loads of people from all over Europe working up there too.
    So maybe rather than asking a Cork person, ask someone from say the Netherlands or something and you might get an interesting tour of the place.

If you're on pretty decent money, you should be able to get something very nice in Cork without too much difficulty. There are quite a lot of nice apartments in the city centre.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there's often some room for negotiation on rents. So, feel quite free to bargain them down a bit. :) There's a property slump at the moment, although still some pressure on rentals in the city due to a lot of people that would ordinarily buy being in the rental market at the moment.

Sometimes you can get better value in terms of rental houses in the suburbs than on apartments in the city centre too as demand is driven by younger people working in some of the IT companies, particularly continental Europeans who always seem to be a little loathed to be anywhere not right in the city centre.

Personally, I'd say if you're hear for a year+, maybe embrace the more sedate suburban life style and dip in and out of the city centre as needed. There's a lot to be said for having a house with a garden and all that stuff.

The other thing to remember is that it's only the size of say Norwich or Aberdeen. It's about half the size of Edinburgh or Brighton!
    Irish people and Cork people will tend to over-blow its size quite a bit.

There's about 198,000 in the immediate city built up area and about 300,000 in the city + hinterland and close on half a million in the county, which is a huge area physically.

Where as Dublin is the 5th most built up area in the Ireland and Britain around 1.1 - 1.2 million people in the immediate urban area.

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah, you are not going to the right areas. You're way up the northside. There are lovely parts of the northside, but holyhill, gurranabraher and blackpool are not great. The inner city quays wouldn't be great either.

Head to the southside instead. Douglas, blackrock, ballintemple. The 202 does go to blackrock. No bus change needed.

It is NOT necessary to go southside! Plenty of nice areas north of the river - Shanakiel, Sunday's Well, Ballyvolane being some that come to mind.

Montenotte's nice too, but a pain in the arse transport-wise. Not great when the ice and frost comes either, as it's very hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Cork City Bus Routes:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Cork

Sadly, Bus Eireann's site's absolutely useless and treats Cork City routes as if they were some kind of after thought, however it's a source of info.
    Decent map of bus routes here, also if you search for cork public transport I think there's a decent independent website outlining it.

Edit: here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jamesbere wrote: »
    “Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.”

Explains Cork City :cool:

With regard to communications:

Tesco Mobile www.tescomobile.ie

For broadband: (if you've cable) www.upc.ie (up to 150mbit/s)

Most of the city is also now covered by fibre-to-the-curb (FTTC) from eircom and it's sold under various brands.

www.eircom.net/fibre
    https://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/
    https://www.magnet.ie/products/fatpipe-70/
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/fibre

Most of the mobile phone companies do a mobile broadband dongle with at least usable for browsing speeds (kinda 3-4 mbit/s in reality although they'll tell you it's up to 21mbit/s).

Vodafone, O2, Meteor/Emobile and Three all do it.
    From personal experience, go with Vodafone, O2 or Meteor/Emobile for broadband. Three is slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

1. Hostels are not the best place to live and judge a city from.

Try looking for a house share with others, I think -- daft.ie has a section for that or look up small adds in the local paper....the Echo... for sale in most shops.
    Best of luck. Corks not a bad place . I came here for a short 8 week cource, 27 years ago. Still here.!!
    Left for London for 2 years, couldn't wait to get back here.
    Give it time and you'll wander why u ever wanted to leave.
    Beautifully county too.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There are a few of things to bear in mind about Cork.

Firstly, it's a *lot* smaller than London in terms of population, so quite obviously it's not going to have all the stuff London has and it can be quite a change to go from a huge city to a small one.

Secondly, it's mostly a Victorian City which tends to mean that the nicer accommodation is very hidden. If you walk through Montenotte, Blackrock, Sundays Well, there are absolutely huge houses but they are all hidden away behind walls and look completely invisible when you walk down the streets. However, if you walk along the riverfront at the Marnia or the Mardyke you'll see huge victorian villas perched on the hills.

Thirdly, I'd suggest getting out of a hostel a.s.a.p. Anywhere I've ever stayed in one they're absolutely miserable. It's fine if you're there as a back packer with loads of your mates and are willing to rough it, but if you're a grown-up with a job, they're not great places at all and you're unlikely to have the same kind of interests as the other guests.

Also bear in mind that in a small city (much like any small city in England) accommodation tends to focus around houses rather than apartments. So, if you've a decent income and you're planning on staying a while, I would start looking in areas like Blackrock, Douglas, Rochestown, maybe Wilton, Bishopstown if that's near where you work or if you're on the northside maybe Montenotte and Sundays Well.

It has loads of really nice accommodation it's just a matter of looking and avoiding the lowest rungs of the ladder in the city centre.

A lot of Cork people actually live in towns around the city so, keep that option open too.

Bear in mind too that there's a bit of a North/South divide in Cork, albeit not quite as clear cut as that. The area to the Northwest where Apple's located is a large collection of council estates. If you go to the Northeast it becomes a lot more affluent and leafy but kind of out of most people's price range.

On the south side, there's more of a suburban vibe. Areas like Douglas in particular have a nice suburban setting with loads of restaurants and bars and shops etc.

I had a very similar experience in London. Moved over and was working in quite an interesting job but my accommodation was horrendous. It was so bad I hardly ever went home before 9pm to avoid it and spent a lot of time miserable until I found a new house share.

It can be quite tough moving to a new city but I really think you'll grasp Cork quite quickly. It's just a matter of cracking the accent :)

In general, it's not very different to a small UK city in most respects and tends to have quite a bit more going on than most.

Check out the Rough Guides and Trip Adviser for a lot of tips.
    Also, I'd say wander into a few artsy events or join something.

www.triskelartscentre.ie might be a good starting point for example.

Cork's not quite as buzzing as it was in 2005-7 but it's still got a decent amount of stuff going on for quite a small city.

Also you've just arrived in the middle of a major downturn in the weather. It had been stunning for the last few weeks. I'm sure the heavy showers aren't helping.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in a small city like this, public transport is not how most people operate.
    Ireland's one of the most car dependent countries on earth and you will not be able to access a lot of stuff without a car.
    So, I would strongly suggest that you get one a.s.a.p. If you don't have a driving license, apply for a provisional and learn to drive.
    A full UK or any EU license is valid here for driving and the rules of the road are very similar to the UK. The only differences are the shapes of the road signs and the speeds and distances are in KM rather than miles.

It's a really big issue, you're moving to what is essentially a city that is the hub of a big hinterland of interesting towns and villages with huge scenery around it and to access that you need a car.

London's the other extreme where a car's a major pain in the rear and public transport's the only way of accessing most things.

In the short term, I'd say base yourself in good quality apartment accommodation or a house that's in reach of the city centre. Check the bus routes carefully before committing to a lease if you're in the suburbs.

If you're home sick, get yourself a Tesco Mobile SIM. The calls to international destinations, including UK landlines are extremely cheap.

You can pick them up at the Kiosk in the Tesco on Paul Street.

Thanks so much for taking your time in giving such a detailed reply! Really appreciate it. I don't have a car nor driving licence, but will, probably, need to get one in the future. I know it is quite essential in a place like this.
    As for the Irish accent-lost case scenario. Being extremely good with accents and all sorts of dialect,I simply cannot crack this one. One lady was trying to speak with me on the bus stop today. All I could do is stand there like a freshy who doesn't speak English. Haha. Too much used to the queen accent. The job I had before was in the city, London, and you only have BBC English speakers, so, yes, it is quite a change:). But hopefully I will get used to it at some point.

scudo2 wrote: »
    1. Hostels are not the best place to live and judge a city from.

Try looking for a house share with others, I think -- daft.ie has a section for that or look up small adds in the local paper....the Echo... for sale in most shops.
    Best of luck. Corks not a bad place . I came here for a short 8 week cource, 27 years ago. Still here.!!
    Left for London for 2 years, couldn't wait to get back here.
    Give it time and you'll wander why u ever wanted to leave.
    Beautifully county too.

I only use daft for properties. Ideally, I would like a studio or one bedroom flat, not a share, but there aren't many available in the areas I want. I wouldn't now even consider living in the city centre. It is one of the roughest areas I have seen. Went to visit Douglas, Ballintemple and Blackrock today. Simply fell in love with it. Some stunning sceneries and houses!

• Advertisement

Look. I live here and still struggle with the accent sometimes! I joke that I'm not married as I couldn't understand my husband's responses! :D

Look. I live here and still struggle with the accent sometimes! I joke that I'm not married as I couldn't understand my husband's responses! :D

Hahahaha

I know exactly what you mean! My husband is Scottish and, oh dear, do I struggle to understand him on the phone! Hehe. And that's after 4 years of spending every day together! I sometimes tell him my ears are blocked, so I can't hear properly. His relatives' accent is even worse, as they are from a village in East Lothian. Oh dear! My brother in law was telling me a fascinating story once and commented I am the only one who never asks to repeat anything! Yeah, that was because I didn't understand a word, so didn't know what to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I only use daft for properties. Ideally, I would like a studio or one bedroom flat, not a share, but there aren't many available in the areas I want. I wouldn't now even consider living in the city centre. It is one of the roughest areas I have seen. Went to visit Douglas, Ballintemple and Blackrock today. Simply fell in love with it. Some stunning sceneries and houses!

While it may be a bit above your budget have you thought about a house. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1358155 Ballinlough is between ballintemple and Douglas, Belmont park is a lovely quiet area.

This is within budget, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1356825 downside is I assume its connected to the landlords own house. But if you don't mind that Shamrock Lawn is right by Douglas village. Just across the road from Shamrock law http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1362740 lovely house.

This is well outside the budget but amazing house and location, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1320397

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Speaking from experience in Cork and Ireland in general most car owners are biased against and critical of public transport so don't let them put you off OP. It does make sense to focus your accomodation search around the 202 route.

Furthermore as drinking seems to be the focus of social and recreational activity for 95% of Irish people it makes it harder for a non drinker to fit in.

Try to get involved in sports and social groups in Apple - its a good way to make friends.

To my eye Cork doesn't seem any more dangerous than most parts of London. There are a lot of down and outs and homeless on the streets but most keep to themselves. You may see a lot of teens and young adults in tracksuits around too. In ways fashion is stuck in a timewarp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I don't know your income level. Just suggested shareing as you'll get into a group of ready made flexible friends.
    ps. Corks not bad from a blow in like myself, look at all the positave replys you got, you wouldn't get that in London.
    Simply, welcome.
    Not a rough city by the way.

Very small city centre where you'll meet the good, the bad and the ugly in a small area. Over all a nice place .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

London to Cork is a huge huge change. Give it a few weeks and get settled in your job and reassess the situation. You'll get used to it...

London to Cork is a huge huge change. Give it a few weeks and get settled in your job and reassess the situation. You'll get used to it...

Thanks. Trying to do my best.i am usually very optimistic and trying to find sometng positive in each situation, so I think it starts working for me and I can already see the beauty of Ireland. You are right, it is a huge difference, which I expected, but didn't know it would be THAT huge. Thank you for encouragement :)

Thanks so much for taking your time in giving such a detailed reply! Really appreciate it. I don't have a car nor driving licence, but will, probably, need to get one in the future. I know it is quite essential in a place like this.
    As for the Irish accent-lost case scenario. Being extremely good with accents and all sorts of dialect,I simply cannot crack this one. One lady was trying to speak with me on the bus stop today. All I could do is stand there like a freshy who doesn't speak English. Haha. Too much used to the queen accent. The job I had before was in the city, London, and you only have BBC English speakers, so, yes, it is quite a change:). But hopefully I will get used to it at some point.

I had the same problem in parts of England though too. I really struggled quite badly in parts of Yorkshire and in Liverpool for example. I actually even find some South London accents can be quite tough going.

(I remember having a long conversation with an American colleague in London who basically couldn't understand anything one guy in particular said. I had to translate for her.)

It's just a strong regional dialect and you'll find that not everyone uses it either. Most younger people (especially those who are a bit educated) will tend to speak clearly enough to be understood by anyone.

Older people and some eh, less well educated types, are the ones who are most likely to have very strong accents.

You'll eventually crack the code though. It just takes a while. I grew up in Dublin and I struggle with some Cork accents despite being here since I was a teenager! That being said, the people I struggle with are often either very elderly or from very particular areas of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I came over here from Wiltshire, England in October to live with my Irish boyfriend, so I can empathise with the culture shock! Just small things like the different money, mobile phone numbers, shops and words completely baffled me for a long time, but it really is best to just get out and start meeting people. I was in a right state in the 6 weeks before I found employment but time spent out of the house exploring, socialising and getting to know my colleagues made me feel a bit more 'at home'. I've met so many friendly, open people who were genuinely curious to know more about me, so I'd honestly say I think you just got really, really unlucky in your first meetings with the locals. Seeing Cork in the wind and the rain also makes it seem far more dire than it actually is, so keep an eye out for a sunny day and go for a wander. The English Market was another excellent tip - it's well worth a visit!

I've actually been meaning to join a small ex-pat meet-up group or something like that, so give me a heads up if you decide to join one after all and I'll give you some company!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't really think the City Centre is *that* rough. Just to put it into a London context, it's a bit like putting a bit of everything in London into a very small space. So, you'll kind of find everything cheek-by-jowl because it's a small space and because unlike a big city you're not going to really see an upmarket area and a downmarket area. Life just happens in the city centre.

It's more of a shopping / pub / nightlife hub than a livable space in my experience of it anyway.

Overall, I haven't found the accommodation right in the city centre all that wonderful and I wouldn't consider it myself. There are a few good apartment complexes which are very new, but they're also very pricy. The older ones tend to be quite unattractive and pretty noisy.

The plus sides are that it does have quite a decent bit of shopping.

Upmarket/upscale : Brown Thomas (small, but perfectly formed department store which is actually owned by the same Canadian outfit that owns Selfridges).

Mid-market : loads of stuff - along Patrick's Street and Opera Lane mostly.

It has a lot of casual dining and some quite quirky pubs, cafes and restaurants.

I think for the most part, you have to see it in much the same way as you might see Camden Town or something like that. It's kinda quirky, a little bit crumbling (but in a nice way).

Overall, it's actually quite a safe city. You'll just stumble over the random 'characters' that are probably a lot more in-your-face than they would be in a upmarket part of London where they'd be somewhat more moved on by police.

One tip regarding the locals : I think you've just had bad luck! Mostly people are pretty friendly and bubbly. The accent can kind of add to it as it can make excitable sound incredibly excitable.

The accent tends to actually be used to portray excitement a lot more than most.
    Just listen out for the pitch going up and up and up to the point it will nearly shatter glass. You'll hear this when some lady bumps into her friend who has just bought new shoes for example or someone she hasn't seen since last Friday.

Just feel free to chat to anyone though, they're not at all stand-offish.

Compared to Londoners, you might find the informality of how they do things can come across as a bit 'sharp' / 'harsh', but it's not how it's intended at all.

BTW: a few London phrases that confuse me (and might confuse Cork people) and Cork and Irish phrases that might confuse you.

London ones:

Using "All right?" as a greeting.
    To my ears, that implies there's something wrong with you or that you're inquiring about my health. (Same to Americans btw!)
    Avoid as you'll definitely cause confusion!

"mate" just not used at all in Ireland.

you'll figure out a few others that might get you blank looks.

General Irish odd vocabulary:

Press = Cupboard
    Hotpress = Airing cupboard

A pan = A loaf (possibly comes from French)

there are a few others too.

H and R are also *always* pronounced in Irish accents, much like US/Canadian English.

Cork ones:

they stick "boy" and "girl" at the end of sentences. This usually means they like you or they're treating you informally.

Use of the word "like" all over the place for no reason.

Starting sentences with "come 'ere" or "come 'ere to me".. usually meaning that they're telling you something interesting/juicy/shocking.

Sticking "yeah" at the end of sentences in a heavily sarcastic tone = negative.

I will, yeah! (= I won't).

They can sometimes use 'hypercorrect' prepositions such as "inside in" or "above in" "below in" instead of just "in".

The stress patterns on words and phrases actually resembles French more than English.
    If you listen to the pattern of speech, you'll hear the inflections go up on the end of almost all words and can go way up at the end of sentences.

They also ask questions by making a statement, inflecting upwards and sticking "hien?" on the end.

There was actually a very significant French influence in Cork at one stage and it has hung around in the accent / dialect.

If you kind of treat it as an exploration of English dialects and linguistics, you'll learn it fast. It is basically a full dialect shift from standard English much like Yorkshire, Scotland, Wales, parts of South London etc.
    Overall, it's quite a pleasant sing-songy up-beat kind of accent.

.. watch out for this one too : they swap the verb "to let" with the verb "to leave" and don't even notice!
    For example, many people "leave out their cat" and "leave old people get onto the bus ahead of them"

There are loads of other ones, but they're all just quite quirky and interesting in my opinion anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement