Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrived to Cork for work, but don't like the place. Having a cultural shock.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Your complaining about the us and them attitude found in Cork that can be found in every county/state/country. I know its a shock people are proud of where they are from everywhere.

Yet at the same time you have the biggest attitude of me and them. Where apparently you are superior in every single way.

It would be interesting to see how great you really are. From here you sound like a narcissist with an ego based on your belief of being better "than most".

Only a narcissist with "blinkers on" wouldn't see how nice people are here compared to other cities and the nice scenery here.

I have never claimed to be superior, and had you read the posts i made instead reading what you thought I wrote you will see I have said cork people are more us and them in that they view fellow cork people as one of them.

Your post proves exactly my point of how criticism is taken as personal.You label me a narcissist for having an opinion on a place I know all too well and because you dont agree with me you assume I am wrong, which could be said makes you the narcissist.

I think Irony is lost on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think to say it 'it lacks any real beauty' is quite harsh.

I've lived all over the world, and while it certainly isn't top of the pile, it's not too bad for a city of less than half a million people. Maybe beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Here are some snaps I've taken around the city over the years.

It's a working city, with some great industrial views, which I love... I need to get some of tivoli soon.

24dpog5.jpg

29cqihg.jpg

296ohfl.jpg

2gydiyq.jpg

2hx8vtf.jpg

2i9rp07.jpg

2ms4t1k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I have never claimed to be superior, and had you read the posts i made instead reading what you thought I wrote you will see I have said cork people are more us and them in that they view fellow cork people as one of them.

Your post proves exactly my point of how criticism is taken as personal.You label me a narcissist for having an opinion on a place I know all too well and because you dont agree with me you assume I am wrong, which could be said makes you the narcissist.

I think Irony is lost on you.
    Could you tell me one city in the whole world that doesn't have an us and them attitude to another city or place in some small way?

The us them attitude can be found in everywhere. Its what happens when you group people together. They find something common between them and group themselves by it. Go to a mid sized town anywhere in Ireland and you'll find people divide it into townies and cluchies. Yet go to the nearest city and the locals will consider every from outside of there city a cluchie. Hell in cork city there is the north/south divide, same can be found in dublin. But the thing is only a few people have the us them attitude, but they are the most vocal.

For example I was in Dublin on the Luas last week and there were cork supporters as well. Im not into GAA. There were two drunk dubs loudly singing "I cant read, I cant write, but thats all right cause Im from Cork and I can drive a tractor." Is that evidence that Dublin people have the us-them attitude. I hope not most of them are nice. Same way most of Cork people are nice to to the "them" in this us them relationship. Ive seen Irish people called "thick paddies" by not so smart english people.

Alot of people I know well from Cork dont have the us them divide. I know if I look for it I will find it. I witnessed tons of it in school.

I have no bother criticizing aspects of living in Cork. I do it regularly, its just on the scale of things its still quite a pleasant place to live. And the thing about the negatives is those aspects can be found in other cities such as the blight of anti social behaviour and underage drinking found in parks past 10 o clock every Friday and Saturday night and the lack of garda action.

I am the furthest thing from a narcissist you will find. I could do with a bit of it but I defiantly don't sound like a cat with a broken hernia :p

Its hardly venice rome or paris.

what have we got ?

An english market with sausages, a few churches walking with the dirt, a polluted river, a pond in the middle of a housing estate, aesthetically it a grey dank concrete town in a damp maritime climate which hardly conjures images of beauty.

Step out of the city and you can see real beauty, the harbour which is the second biggest natural harbour in the world , with its rich history, west Cork and north cork have vast areas of immense beauty but be honest what is there in the city that you could say makes it a beautiful place other than our affiliation for what we see as home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Could you tell me one city in the whole world that doesn't have an us and them attitude to another city or place in some small way?

The thing that annoys me the most is the constant comparison to Dublin. I'm not from Cork but l have lived here for 11 years and (gladly) consider it home.
    But if I hear or see one more reference to the 'real capital' I'll scream. Cork should be proud of what it's got full stop. There was a thread on here a while ago about the English Market and people were giving their opinions in it. One poster left a positive message but ended it with 'Dublin has nothing to match it' :confused:
    (I'm not from Dublin btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hurt Locker and Justin, your bickering is boring and off topic, like!
    It's wrecking me head.:mad:

OP, try coming currach rowing some Saturday - bring your hubby when he visits. You'll get some exercise, meet a diverse load of friendly people from different countries and backgrounds (even Russian and English people;)) , see the city from the river.

It only costs €10 for the morning - you'll be fully insured and safe.
    It's about a 30 minute walk from the city centre or a short taxi ride.

Despite what has been said here, the river Lee is now pretty clean as evidenced by the growth of marine sea weed on the quay walls all the way up the city. Prior to the main drainage scheme some years ago the river was in a pretty filthy state.

mordeith wrote: »

dont matter, you are not from cork , thats all that will matter :D

mordeith wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me the most is the constant comparison to Dublin. I'm not from Cork but l have lived here for 11 years and (gladly) consider it home.
    But if I hear or see one more reference to the 'real capital' I'll scream. Cork should be proud of what it's got full stop. There was a thread on here a while ago about the English Market and people were giving their opinions in it. One poster left a positive message but ended it with 'Dublin has nothing to match it' :confused:

Same here. Im not going to lie there are parts of the Cork ego that get to me. The "real capital" bugs me also from holidays people from other counties, especially Kerry, presume I love hurling and GAA is my life. I like Cork for what it is, its my home. I wouldn't compare Cork with Dublin though, ones a small city the others the capital. I know many people do, its pointless and I dislike it. But I have met Dubs who will brag about how much better Dublin is and one even saying Cork is just a big town not a city. It works both ways really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This is really starting to wander into the realms of a philosophical discussion about parochial attitudes!

Maybe we should stick to helping the op?

Hurt Locker and Justin, your bickering is boring and off topic, like!
    It's wrecking me head.:mad:

OP try coming currach rowing some Saturday - bring your hubby when he visits. You'll get some exercise, meet a diverse load of friendly people from different countries and backgrounds (even Russian and English people;)) , see the city from the river.

It only costs €10 for the morning - you'll be fully insured and safe.
    It's about a 30 minute walk from the city centre or a short taxi ride.

Despite what has been said here, the river Lee is now pretty clean as evidenced by the growth of marine sea weed on the quay walls all the way up the city. Prior to the main drainage scheme some years ago the river was in a pretty filthy state.

Sorry Ill stop.

OP if you want to literally see the trees from the forrest, Farran woods is a lovely walk. The River Lee walk in the snow is brilliant, but thatll be another few months away. Also if your in the English market try one of the hotdogs. They are the best Ive ever had.

Many of my polish and my russian friends used to laugh during the last cold spell. The country literally closes down.

In the next few months youll hear alot about the celtic tiger and the mad building. A prime example can be found in Ballincollig. Loads of new houses but an attempt to build a mini town next to the shopping centre failed bad. Most of the apartments are empty.

Learn to block out the following words, theyll do your head in after a while; banks, bondholders, fiscal, developers, austerity and cut backs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork heritage day is August 17th this year... the schedule will be released this evening I think.

This is when many buildings open in Cork for free with guided tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I'm from Cork, moved out years ago and lived in Waterford, Kilkenny and Dublin since then.

I always thought the real capital stuff was a kind of in joke, just messing really.

I've never met anyone in Cork who actually thinks it is. It's a small city and people generally have a connection to most areas so may seem defensive if someone slags it off.

I'd never compare Cork to anywhere, it will always be home but everyone loves home in some way.

The accent is mental, massive spectrum of difference there.

OP - best of luck fitting in there. It's a small city with a lot to offer once you delve beneath the surface and don't be afraid to ask people at work or out and about if there's anything you need to know. Cork people for the most part are pretty talkative.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

As another Cork person, I have to agree with this. Some Cork people can be incredibly close minded, they do think Cork is the centre of the universe. While I can understand the desire of anyone from Cork not currently living in Cork wanting to get back to real capital:D, there is so much more to Ireland than just Cork. While the vast majority of Cork people are very friendly and easy going, there is an element of clubbishness amongst a small minority of people, for some people their only friends are the people they went to school with 60 years ago.

Galway is an amazing city, better than Cork in some ways; there's more going on there, Salthill is only a 30 minute walk from the city centre and they're even more laid back than Corkonians are. Galwegians are so much more outward looking, probably because one third of the city's population is students and because most of the people living in the city are not from Galway county let alone Galway city. Nevertheless, I do love Cork and I miss the way people speech and the accent so much. The accent is very musical and people always sound jolly even when they're not. I certainly hope to be back in da real capital in time to come.

For the benefit of the OP, Cork people have a tendency to end sentences with 'like', which doesn't mean anything really, it's just how we speak, like:D.

This poster is agreeing with a troll.I doubt that this person is from Cork!Tourists from all over the world find Cork to be a beautiful city with friendly people.Cork is probably the nicest city in Ireland imo.

so someone from cork who says something that dont meet your approval is automatically labelled a troll. ?
    I got that on another board as well...

How shallow it is that cork people get so defensive and clannish when they hear something they dont like.
    I am curious to know what upset you about my post as I was complimentary of country cork but see the city as a dank grey concrete town devoid of any natural beauty.

You are exactly the type of person I am speaking about when it comes to that cork mentality and you are too caught up in parochial tunnel vision to even realize it.
    Or do you think discussions you dont agree with should be deleted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The OP decides that she doesn't like Cork after only being in the city for three days!I find that to be a bit odd tbh.Give it at least a month before deciding whether you like Cork or not.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

This poster is agreeing with a troll.I doubt that this person is from Cork!Tourists from all over the world find Cork to be a beautiful city with friendly people.Cork is probably the nicest city in Ireland imo.
    so someone from cork who says something that dont meet your approval is automatically labelled a troll. ?
    I got that on another board as well...

How shallow it is that cork people get so defensive and clannish when they hear something they dont like.
    I am curious to know what upset you about my post as I was complimentary of country cork but see the city as a dank grey concrete town devoid of any natural beauty.

You are exactly the type of person I am speaking about when it comes to that cork mentality and you are too caught up in parochial tunnel vision to even realize it.
    Or do you think discussions you dont agree with should be deleted ?

Take it somewhere else, ladies.
    Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Those pictures are gorgeous Pwurple!
    I think there are some absolutely beautiful spots in Cork - it's not a civic pride or defensive thing though; I couldn't care less if people genuinely dislike it. I don't subscribe to that People's Republic nonsense (it's irony a lot of the time though; not to be taken seriously always).

I don't think anyone suggested it's like Venice or those other cities mentioned (although Venice is actually supposed to be pretty manky from the filthy water and rats :pac:) but it's still very pretty in my and many others' opinion.

It's not amazing, but is a nice, pleasant place to live - I think. I'm not understanding the Galway love - looks like a provincial town IMO. Well the part of the centre I was in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Those pictures are gorgeous Pwurple!
    I think there are some absolutely beautiful spots in Cork - it's not a civic pride or defensive thing though; I couldn't care less if people genuinely dislike it. I don't subscribe to that People's Republic nonsense (it's irony a lot of the time though; not to be taken seriously always).

I don't think anyone suggested it's like Venice or those other cities mentioned (although Venice is actually supposed to be pretty manky from the filthy water and rats :pac:) but it's still very pretty in my and many others' opinion.

"Cork, the Venice of the north"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Where can i meet decent and educated people?That's either the talk of a troll or a snob.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover". - Mark Twain

• Advertisement

BTW, I love the smell of the city centre, all those breweries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

SamAK wrote: »
    I always found that odour revolting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

SamAK wrote: »

There is only one left and its out in Blackpool, also its so modern that no real smell at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

infosys wrote: »
    There is only one left and its out in Blackpool, also its so modern that no real smell at all.

Dis the Franciscan Well Brewery close down then?

And the Heineken brewery still leaves off quite a smell.

Looks like all this stupid bickering over whether Cork is a kip or a paradise and whether Cork people are parochial or open minded has frightened the OP away.

Remember, people, that beauty is a very subjective thing. I think the R&H Hall building is beautiful and should be preserved but I suspect most Cork people would see it demolished in a heart beat.
    On the other hand, I'd happily see a bomb planted in Faulkner's Lane (Opera Lane) when there's no one about but I suspect many think it is a lovely, clean modern street.

Regarding breweries: Fran Well is still producing beer in The North Mall but doesn't produce much smell.
    Heineken does still produce a (IMO) lovely smell when mashing (rumours have it that they are going to cease production there, though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

evilivor wrote: »
    Dis the Franciscan Well Brewery close down then?

And the Heineken brewery still leaves off quite a smell.

Forgot about the Franciscan Well, but I thought with it being bought by Coors production was being moved to a large facility.

Never got a smell from Heineken but beamish was wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Where can i meet decent and educated people?That's either the talk of a troll or a snob.:D

I think that might be partially a language thing - in several European languages rude translates to "mal educated" or uneducated.

So when they use educated/uneducated here instead of polite/rule it sounds a bit weird and elitist - probably not intentional.

While we're on the subject of aesthetics, is that bloody hideously awful Toyota sign still at the top of the Opera House?

Never in a million years will I forgive the idiot that decided the thing was a good idea. Same goes for city hall, horrible building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Megatron!!

If your a londoner I hope ye have thick skin

• Advertisement

infosys wrote: »

go down there on a winters evening after 6pm and get the smell then with especially on a close drizzly day.

It smells worse than the quays by the old odlums did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement