Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrived to Cork for work, but don't like the place. Having a cultural shock.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

SamAK wrote: »
    Same goes for city hall, horrible building.

What on earth is wrong with the city hall?
    city_hall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

pwurple wrote: »
    What on earth is wrong with the city hall?
    city_hall.jpg

Agh, my apologies, this one, county hall on Carrigrohane Road.

http://kieranmccarthy.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/602b-construction-photograph-of-cork-county-hall-near-completion.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sna89

Customer service in Ireland is pretty poor, especially compared to the UK. Irish people are generally less polite in just about every situation, which is probably related to the poor customer service that Irish people have to put up with. Don't be surprised if you're asked to do something at work without the person ending the sentence with 'please', and don't be surprised if you don't get thanked for doing something. Also, most people will say 'what?' or 'what's that?' whereas in England you would say 'pardon?'.

Also the cost of groceries and some other things is a lot higher (as you know, Tesco in the UK is expensive compared to Asda, and yet if Tesco in Ireland charged the same as Tesco in the UK did, they'd be an absolute bargain compared to the other Irish supermarkets), but property tax is so much lower than council tax and take home pay is a lot higher as well, as PRSI (the equivalent of NI in the UK) is a lot lower and the income tax credits are more generous than the tax free allowance in the UK is.

Pick you up on two points:
    1. Customer service in England is definitely no better than here.
    2. Groceries are less expensive and better quality in Ireland.

Haha, I have dealt with Irish customer service agents countless times and I can't remember a single negative experience. The only times i've been left dissatisfied is when the CSA IS NOT ACTUALLY IN IRELAND. Crackly phone lines are bad enough without the heavily accented pigeon english on the other end.

(Microsoft, sort yourselves out and set up call centres for Irish customers....IN IRELAND!)

As for sna89's comment - " Irish people are generally less polite in just about every situation" - yeah right, compared to where? I've lived here for 22 years and there are no more rude people than in the UK, or any other country i've been fortunate enough to visit.

So many commenters here with black and white yes/no conclusions. You can't possibly be correct, none of us can, for every single village, town and city on planet Earth contains vast quantities of nice people, rude people, smart people and stupid people, as well as nice buildings, horrible buildings, good streets, bad streets...and everything in between. You get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

sna89 wrote: »
    Pick you up on two points:
    1. Customer service in England is definitely no better than here.
    2. Groceries are less expensive and better quality in Ireland.

I wouldn't be at all certain of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

SamAK wrote: »

This one?

CountyHall_Night.jpg

I quite like the county hall. Great example of mid-20th-century architecture. It's of its time, rather than being a stupid fake 1900's building.

All full of glass, concrete and promise of the future, things that were important in the 60's. It's a protected building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

evilivor wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all certain of that.

In fact, I KNOW groceries here are a lot more expensive! Choice is better than it was when I first moved here, but still not brilliant.

But like I've said you get much better quality:
    • Meat. Decent butchers here and not too bad cost-wise. Not the supermarket crap we get at home!
    • Butter
    • Bread
    • Cheese
    • Sausages. My London mates KILL to get Clon saussies! :D

But things like loo rolls, washing detergent, conditioners, shampoos and other cosmetics are hideously expensive here. Thank God for Amazon! :D

This one?

CountyHall_Night.jpg

Yes, that one! Each to their own, but I must have passed the place by a hundred times now and not once, ever, have I seen anything attractive, modern or appealing about the place. It's so grey. But apparently, it's been renovated recently?

I prefer to look across the river at St Kevin's to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

"Welcome to Cork. Let's talk about modern architecture and Irish grocery prices!"

And someone said the Irish aren't friendly... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

who_me wrote: »
    "Welcome to Cork. Let's talk about modern architecture and Irish grocery prices!"

And someone said the Irish aren't friendly... ;)

very true, all great when we are having fun , reminiscing, nostalgic, agreeing.

its when you say something that others dont agree with is when it changes.

On the county Hall, the "improvements " were decent enough considering there is only so much that could be actually done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The County Hall looks a lot better now but it looked like Soviet era brutalism, Cork style, before it was refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Great thread - hope the OP is still with us :-)

She is. She's organising coffee and a walk on Saturday, if anyone's interested. I'll try to find the link and post up (after sending a PM to ask if OK!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

On the county Hall, the "improvements " were decent enough considering there is only so much that could be actually done.

Just like everywhere else so.

I think many responses have been very helpful to the OP. I can only say in my travels I've never started a thread claiming I didn't like my new city, that the people were rude and rough. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but I'd consider it very rude to do so. I'd ask for constructive advice without denigrating the people who live there. Plus the expectations of the OP do seem to be a bit ambitious, expecting a drop-in social life/group within 3 days? Would that be true of any city?

All that considered, many of the responses have been very helpful. Even if a lot have been wandering OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Grustel25 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It looks interesting. I will definitely have a proper look at it! Thanks.

I am part of the "Meetups in Cork" group. You are most welcome to come along to our meetups.

Just to clarify, I meant County Hall, not City :)

Been a couple of years since I spent time in Cork. Always glad when I go back though..a tad more appealing than Limerick at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

This one?

CountyHall_Night.jpg

I quite like the county hall. Great example of mid-20th-century architecture. It's of its time, rather than being a stupid fake 1900's building.

All full of glass, concrete and promise of the future, things that were important in the 60's. It's a protected building.
    :) Good way of looking at it. I'm not a fan of the county hall either tbh, but the work on its surroundings has improved, it and that photo makes it look great!

Well, more the way it's said, rather than it simply being disagreed with.

warrior00 wrote: »
    Palm trees and blonde bíthes, I advice you to pack your shít and get the fúck home, yea mother fúcker!

Oh sod off! And whilst you're about it, learn to spell and use correct grammar.

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

Oh sod off! And whilst you're about it, learn to spell and use correct grammar.

Idiot.

It's off a rap song if you must know!

Righto...

And this helps the OP in what way, exactly? Considering the fact the OP is female...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In fact, I KNOW groceries here are a lot more expensive! Choice is better than it was when I first moved here, but still not brilliant.

But like I've said you get much better quality:
    • Meat. Decent butchers here and not too bad cost-wise. Not the supermarket crap we get at home!
    • Butter
    • Bread
    • Cheese
    • Sausages. My London mates KILL to get Clon saussies! :D

But things like loo rolls, washing detergent, conditioners, shampoos and other cosmetics are hideously expensive here. Thank God for Amazon! :D

I'm glad someone agrees with me. Tesco in Ireland is a total rip off compared to Tesco in the UK, and yet Tesco in the UK is expensive compared to Morrisons or especially Asda, Aldi and Lidl. Even Sainsbury's and Waitrose are not a whole lot dearer than Tesco over here and they are the Superquinn of the UK supermarkets. Both of these stores often run 'brand match' campaigns, promising to at the very least be no dearer than Tesco.

Some examples of things that are a total rip-off in Ireland:

- 3 litres of milk, €2.49 in Tesco or SuperValu in Ireland, six pints (3.41 litres) is only £1.48 (€1.72) in Asda, and even in Tesco it is £1.89 (€2.19 at today's prices) in the UK. Milk is 64 cent per litre in a Tesco in the UK, only 50 cent per litre in an Asda, yet in Ireland it is 83 cent per litre - so Tesco Ireland charge 30% more than Tesco UK, which in turn is a whopping 66% more than Asda

- Tropicana 1.75 litre orange juice, £3.28 (€3.81) in Tesco in the UK, €4.55 in a Tesco Ireland, and often they run special offers over here, so it's usually only £2.50. Even on the non-discounted price, the same product is 19% more expensive in Ireland - for exactly the same thing

- 48 Weetabix is normally £4.18 (€4.85) over in the UK, but is often £3 (€3.28) in Tesco, in Ireland Tesco charge €6.25, so the 'standard' price is 29% more expensive in Ireland, again these products are identical

- 1.5 litres of comfort conditioner is £3.30 (€3.83) with Tesco in the UK (it's often available for just £2 or €2.32), but Tesco Ireland charge €4.59, which is 20% more expensive in Ireland

- Surf 2 kg (25 wash) is currently €5 with Tesco in Ireland, but this is down from €8.59! In the UK, Tesco normally charge £5.70 (€6.62), and the special offer price is £3 (€3.48). The usual price is £4 (€4.65) in Asda and Morrisons by the way. Comparing the standard prices in both countries, it is 30% more expensive in Ireland, and if you compare Tesco Ireland to Asda or Morrisons in the UK, it is an incredible 85% more expensive in Ireland

- Tesco organic broccoli is €2.59 in Ireland, vs £1.20 (€1.39) in the UK, that's an incredible 96% more expensive in Ireland

Some things, like pre-packaged meat seems to be cheaper in Ireland for sure, and the quality of Irish food is definitely better, nothing compares to a Clonakilty sausage or a Galtee rasher, and hot chicken rolls seem to be something you cannot find anywhere in the UK, but really, it's totally untrue to say that the cost of groceries and food is cheaper and/or better value in Ireland, because it just isn't.

And I have to go back to the customer service, it's simply miles better in the UK than at home. I am particularly interested in cars, and the UK usually gets longer warranties, and the manufacturers are more inclined to honour things out of warranty in the UK than in Ireland (probably helped by the fact that in the UK people are much more likely to service their car on time and in an authorised garage), but there are things like injectors that Volkswagen recalled in the UK but refused to do the same thing in Ireland.

If you go into shops or department stores, in general the English are far more polite, they generally sound a lot more interested in their jobs and trying to offer good customer service. They're very helpful without overdoing it, it's just more of a pleasure to go and buy things in shops. And in many shops if you spend more than a minute or so, someone will come up and check to see if there is anything you want or anything they can do to help. This seems to be an alien concept in Ireland.

I certainly have encountered bad customer service in the UK, but it happens at a far lower frequency than it does in Ireland that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 lukepaddy2

I love Cork worked down there for a year. I absolutely despise Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

lukepaddy2 wrote: »
    I love Cork worked down there for a year. I absolutely despise Dublin

This is exactly the type of nonsense I was talking about. The first part of your sentence is fine. Dublin (or any other place) has nothing to do with this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ok I think this thread had run its course lads I can only see it going downhill from here so I'm closing it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement