Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Lellan Belfast with bog oak scales.

• 04-08-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi.
    I've finished that razor few days ago. Bog oak scales, natural feel, open grain danish oil finish. Bog oak and aluminium wedge. Not honed yet :)

Before:

mclellan-05.jpg?i=1126180841

mclellan-04.jpg?i=5697091

mclellan-03.jpg?i=1671615838

After:

img0337.jpg?i=1887785543

img0339.jpg?i=590612524

img0340.jpg?i=894242314

img0341.jpg?i=737822908

img0342.jpg?i=1242282939

img0344.jpg?i=1300604152

img0348.jpg?i=1809426742

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Did you fix the hone wear on that blade or has it all been polished and now looks the same as the blade?

Those scales are wonderful - the wedge is fantastic. I can't remember seeing anyone using bog oak for scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Thanks.
    I haven't re-grind the blade. Hone wear is just polished and less visible.
    I'm glad that you like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Excellent work there. Looks gorgeous.

Helped by some great photography too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Macrob,

This razor is following me around :), it is in my rotation; as a Hilliard of 7 Nicolson Street, Edinburgh. A medical supplier - so I am not sure if it was sold as part of a doctors kit, or for shaving.

Then I recently bought a couple of razors in Kingman, AZ one of which was the same Hamburg Ring engraved blade but produced by M. Hunter and Son, Talbot Works, Sheffield.

I suspect multiple manufacturers sent blade blanks to Hamburg for the famous Hamburg grind, before hollow ground razor skills developed in Sheffield.

All the blades I have seen bear this engraving in this font.

Stunning work on the restoration once again, I really am envious of your skills.

Hi.

Thank you all :)

Maciek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

An Irish Made razor is my holy grail! and that one is awesome, any idea if theres any more of them floating about?

Irish blades are few and far between from what I've seen. I did see one that was marked Nassau Street. Pictures are here.

*edit*found more info on this maker. He was James Thompson of 9 Nassau Street (as of 1850)

I would love to get some myself, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I saw a nice stubtail razor made in Dublin on ebay a while back, I was bidding on it but the price went out of my reach. It had nice tortoise shell scales with a silver cap on one end of them. I believe the makers name was "Millikin" I have only seen one other razor by this maker which was also very old. P.s. Nice restore by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Millikin, John, razor manufacturer, 4 Trinity Street.Dublin 1797-98

Some background on Mclellan http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/95677-mcclellan-belfast-hamburb-ring.html

Some background on Mclellan http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/95677-mcclellan-belfast-hamburb-ring.html

He was making razors there from at least 1791 going by this link. By 1920 he was listed as a cutler.

• Advertisement

Another Irish manufacturer to keep an eye out
    for http://thegentlemansoldier.com/Thomas-Read-of-Dublin.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OT but has anything been done with 4 Parliament Street or is it still derelict?

How appropriate would a traditional shaving supply shop be there huh?

I should be in that general area on Thursday so I'll have a chek and see if there is anything there.

Pretty sure still defunct, but been a while since I went past.
    A true pity, I remember going into the shop in the 1980s.

Yeah that's the one.

677917685_o.jpg

677917774_o.jpg

You can just about make it out.

Beautiful razor. Is that an eagle engraved on that scale end?

macrob77 wrote: »
    Beautiful razor. Is that an eagle engraved on that scale end?

Here's a close up of it.

137973d1376595748-my-summer-acquisitions-dsc_0646.jpg

Thanks.
    Fine craftmanship. I see that there's number 1 engraved as well. Maybe it's a part of a set. Where did you get if I may ask?

Thanks.
    Fine craftmanship. I see that there's number 1 engraved as well. Maybe it's a part of a set. Where did you get if I may ask?

I don't personally own the razor :( but was bidding on it when it was up on ebay back in june. The winner of the razor has posted a few pictures of it on SRP in the thread "My Summer Acquisitions" by member "ScienceGuy"

Too bad.
    I'm looking for some 1800'ish razor for myself as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

A few days ago my father shoved a filthy cardboard box under my nose. Upon inspection it contained a "The Double Crown Razor - Extra Hollow Ground" with T. Naughton & Sons, Galway marked on the spine and Made and Hollow Ground in Germany on the reverse.

Are Irish marked razors common? Naughton & Sons was a hardware shop in Galway up until the late 90s.

Irish marked razors are pretty uncommon. I wonder if it was always just a hardware store and the blade was just stamped for the store, or if they were some point a cutlers and made the razor themselves.

It's probably the former instead of the latter.

*edit* Upon reading the post more carefully it's pretty clear it was just an imported razor stamped for the store. Still rare none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Too bad.
    I'm looking for some 1800'ish razor for myself as well :)

Do you restore razors or make scales etc. yourself?

Hi.
    Yes i do.

Maciek.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I picked a pair of straight edge razors stamped T. Read Parliament st Dublin. I`ll stick a photo up when i get hold of a camera.

Dub. wrote: »
    I picked a pair of straight edge razors stamped T. Read Parliament st Dublin. I`ll stick a photo up when i get hold of a camera.

Nice. Where did you find them?

Here they are.

RFEkPupl.jpg

aw9l2Rrl.jpg

MZ32JyTl.jpg

pqr6MtYl.jpg

The initials M.D.B. are engraved on each razor. There is also a finer, visible only at a certain angle, engraving at the back which reads `Burke Dolphins Barn`.

I typed `Burke` and ` Dolphin`s Barn` into Google and came up with this.

BURKE Martin Desmond M.A. (Cantab.) Dip Arch. (London) Pilot View, Dalkey (formerly of Foxrock and Dolphin's Barn) - Wednesday, March 23, 2011 (peacefully) at his home in his 96th year. Husband of the late Nina (died 1979) and the late Julia (died 2010). Former Principal Architect, Office of Public Works. President of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (1982-84).

http://notices.irishtimes.com/8935359-death-burke-martin-desmond

I wonder if this chap was the original owner?

Nice pair of razors you have there. The box looks in good condition too.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Nice. Where did you find them?

A charity shop in Dun Laoghaire luckily enough. It`s rare to find anything shave related in charity shops as they normally get discarded for health and safety reasons. Sad to think how many valuable old razors end up in landfill.

• Advertisement

Now you just have to sharpen them and put them to use.

Advertisement