Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going abroad with a 9month old any tips?

Options
  • 04-08-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

we are going to Scandinavian with my nine month old in a couple of days for one week. Any tips what do pack or bring to make life a little easier. It's a 2hr 30min flight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Hey, I have travelled with a younger baby so mightn't be much help but I brought a touchy-feely book, favourite toy and a soother on the flight.

My friend has a nine month old and she brings a toy that makes noise. She says it may annoy othe people but is better than a crying baby!!

Maybe try a little of their fav food and a bottle just in case.

Enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

bring something for teething - our little one had this knack of starting to teethe badly *just* when we were about to board a plane...

Other than that - maybe a few toys, something to suck or chew on (for the ears) and bring a sling for carrying if you have one - I found that much easier than fiddling with the pram (and also, in some airports (Hamburg for example) you won't get the pram back straight at the plane, but only with your main luggage, a 10 minute walk away...:mad:)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

1. Clip for tying on soother to clothes - can get in Boots. This was the handiest thing we brought as didn't have to worry about sterilising when out when soother was invariably dropped.

2. Ella foods - easily stored. Can be difficult to get nice baby food when abroad.

3. Big problem is sterilising bottles. You'll need a microwave. We brought sterliser bags which weren't great. Would bring our microwave steriliser next time.

4. Milton tablets - could use for bottles.

5. European medical card. There is a 3 week waiting list for these afaik. Your PHN will know more.

6. Buggy - we got an umbrella buggy and left our large travel system at home. Make sure your one reclines so baby can sleep - handy for restaurants etc and for feeding where you are staying. We got Zita Voom online.

7. Sun hat and sun cream.

8. Mini cooler bag to carry your bottles in.

9. Waterproof picnic mat- handy for taking a rest or even for changing nappies al fresco if no facilities around. Can use on the beach as a play mat for baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

3. Big problem is sterilising bottles. You'll need a microwave. We brought sterliser bags which weren't great. Would bring our microwave steriliser next time.

What problems did you have with them ?

We never had any issues and you're relying on the place you're going to stay having a microwave, which most non self catering places won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What problems did you have with them ?

We never had any issues and you're relying on the place you're going to stay having a microwave, which most non self catering places won't.

The place we went had a microwave. The steriliser bags required a microwave. They were ok for a few uses but eventually the plastic would warp and you had to use a new one. They were supposed to be ok for 20 uses but usually got at most 10 out of them.

What ones did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

The place we went had a microwave. The steriliser bags required a microwave. They were ok for a few uses but eventually the plastic would warp and you had to use a new one. They were supposed to be ok for 20 uses but usually got at most 10 out of them.

What ones did you use?

I find the dr browns ones great!

Also - change nappy just before flight so hopefully can avoid it on plane! Try time day so nap due for most of flight . Breast, bottle or soother on way up or down equalises ear pressure

Oh Boots sell UV black out protection shades for buggies. There are two types with one having a zip in the middle so you can check the baby without lifting the entire cover....I got the other one by accident (without zip)

The steriliser bags required a microwave.

You can get bags that only require to be filled with water, I think there's a tablet in them, probably something like Milton, and you can just hang them somewhere and leave the stuff in them.

You can get bags that only require to be filled with water, I think there's a tablet in them, probably something like Milton, and you can just hang them somewhere and leave the stuff in them.

Where do you get those bags? I only heard of the microwave ones?

You can get them in Boots and Mothercare
    Here's the ones from Boots
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Oasis-Disposable-Steriliser-Bags-7-Pack_25755/

and the ones from Mothercare, looking at the images on the Mothercare site I'm pretty sure they're the ones we used. We just hung the bag from the shower in the hotels.
    http://www.mothercare.com/Innosense%C2%AE-Cold-Water-Sterilising-Bags-7-pack/454141,default,pd.html

• Advertisement

You can get them in Boots and Mothercare
    Here's the ones from Boots
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Oasis-Disposable-Steriliser-Bags-7-Pack_25755/

and the ones from Mothercare, looking at the images on the Mothercare site I'm pretty sure they're the ones we used. We just hung the bang from the shower in the hotels.
    http://www.mothercare.com/Innosense%C2%AE-Cold-Water-Sterilising-Bags-7-pack/454141,default,pd.html

Brilliant thank you

Advertisement