Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuseless switching power supply

Options
  • 04-08-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi after the lightning storm last week my dad’s camper leisure battery went dead and when I looked into it there was still power from the 230v but there was no 12v out the power supply to charge the battery.

I took apart the power supply and the 230v 6.3amp fuse was blown when I replaced it blow again with the 12v disconnected so I’m confident enough that it’s the switched power supply that gone

My question is where do I get one in cork?

Comments

Check for wiring faults on the 230Vac side before condemning the old charger. Could be something minor.
    Have a look at the PCB for burns, corrosion or crispy aroma's...telltale signs of permanent damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

i had the 230v on with the charger disconnected and it was fine. then i only connected the input of the charger left the 12v disconnected and the fuse in the power supply side of the battery charger blow straight away.

i cant see and scorthing or a smell of burn. but id ssay the damage is done now and the smell is gone.

i'm thinking its the main capacitor is the issue. i think that would be the first to go in a large voltage surge.

its a Arsilicii AL-C20 power supply so i dont know can i just use a normal charger with it. dont thnk i made myself clear in the first post its the onboard charger that is hooked up the the control system.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/arsilicii--srl-charger-mod-alc20-230-p.asp

What has the lightning storm got to do with it? Was the van smote by the Almighty? Cheaper fix electronics than buy a new unit if you know what you're looking for and can solder. Capacitors usually crack/bulge when they're toasted.

2010-12-11_135315_bad_cap.jpg

I reckon any (automatic or not..your choice) charger will do but I'm not an expert. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Try connecting it to mains inside the house on a new power lead. It might be blowing fuses for other reasons.

The manual for that thing is entirely vague :mad:.

Any idea what "SMART active protections" are?.

"If connected to the external 110/220V mains, the power supply unit delivers power even if the batteries are not connected" ....most chargers will not do this.

• Advertisement

Check; live - earth, neutral - earth, and live - neutral for continuity...there shouldn't be any. If there is it's most likely wiring.

the lightning storm was when the problem started quite a few issues that night with electronics going locally

the 230v is perfect i checked that. the 12V is fine its charging off the alternator just the power supply is is the issue.

my dad went around to a few camper places and there saying its a like for like replacement. i was on to the makers and the model my dad has is no longer made its replaced with AL-BK20 power supply. so i might buy direct off the makers but there on holidays till the end of august.

we'll work away with a couple of battery's charging outside the camper when his away

thanks for all your help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asgep

Hi does anybody know where i can buy a Arsilicii AL120 fuseless switching power supply unit in the Leinster area

Thanks for any help

asgep wrote: »
    Hi does anybody know where i can buy a Arsilicii AL120 fuseless switching power supply unit in the Leinster area

Thanks for any help

I had difficulty trying to find neone to supply our power supply. Went straight to the manufacturers but had to wait nearly a month because the whole factory goes on holidays at the same time. In the end we got it repaired

Advertisement