Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fall in work Not Employer's fault - medical expenses

• 05-08-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

If you have a accident at work where you just lose your balance or whatever and have no grounds to sue ( or didn't want to and accepted it was no fault of your employer) do they still cover medical expenses because it happens at work or would that be part of a claim. Like is it written in stone a employee has to pay medical expenses either way once it wasn't from a accident doing something you shouldn't

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

It would be part of the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There is no immedeate necessity to start running to a solicitor and trying to claim damages. I take it that your employer is aware of the situation and knows that an accident has occurred in work so if I were you I'd raise the subject of your medical bills with the owner/management and see what sort of an agreement you can sort out between yourselves without formal legal proceedings as nobody wins long term in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

There is no immedeate necessity to start running to a solicitor and trying to claim damages. I take it that your employer is aware of the situation and knows that an accident has occurred in work so if I were you I'd raise the subject of your medical bills with the owner/management and see what sort of an agreement you can sort out between yourselves without formal legal proceedings as nobody wins long term in that situation.

From the OP "where you just lose your balance or whatever and have no grounds to sue ( or didn't want to and accepted it was no fault of your employer)"

So the question is in a situation where there is no negligence, can an employee get medical expenses? I would say no unless the employer has some insurance to cover this for his employees, so ask HR to see if there is any scheme.

As an aside just because a person does not believe there is negligance does not mean there is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

infosys wrote: »

As an aside just because a person does not believe there is negligance does not mean there is not.

True enough.

That said, we would be dealing with the Occupier's Liability Act and it would probably boil down to whether there was any reasonably foreseeable circumstance whereby the employers duty would have been breached here. That's hard to see when someone simply lost their balance.

Advertisement