Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended netbook/smartbook for student? Requirements...

• 05-08-2013 3:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy something light and slim that will fit in my handbag. I will be using it primarily for taking notes and surfing the net. It should have good battery life. I will not be using it for gaming.

Looking for something in the €250-350 range, but *may* splurge on something dearer if I think it's worth the investment.

So what would be the best netbook for me to get in the:
    250-350 range?
    350-600 range?

Where would be the best place for me to purchase from?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Netbooks are no longer, I suggest, you spend a little bit more and get something like the ASUS Vivobook (€443 at LD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Torqay wrote: »
    Netbooks are no longer, I suggest, you spend a little bit more and get something like the ASUS Vivobook (€443 at LD).
    Looks awesome. An option, but I'd prefer not to spend that much. What do you think of this one in comparison? http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_One_AOA110-Bb__-_1GB_-_16GB_-_Windows-Blue_with_,Pre_Deliv1096/version.asp

With the vivobook the touchscreen feature presumably makes it more expensive, but I'm not fussed with that all. Would there be something similar without touchscreen? I don't really care about having Windows 8 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

folamh wrote: »
    Looks awesome. An option, but I'd prefer not to spend that much. What do you think of this one in comparison? http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_One_AOA110-Bb__-_1GB_-_16GB_-_Windows-Blue_with_,Pre_Deliv1096/version.asp

An 8" screen? I think not. Besides, this netbook must have been catching a lot of dust in their warehouse, it's more than 4 years old. As I said, netbooks are discontinued for quite some time
    folamh wrote: »
    With the vivobook the touchscreen feature presumably makes it more expensive, but I'm not fussed with that all. Would there be something similar without touchscreen? I don't really care about having Windows 8 either.

It also comes with a power-efficient Core i3 processor and can take on some workload. Stay clear of any laptop with an AMD or Intel Atom processor. They'll cave in when you have a web browser open with more than a few tabs.

Here's a 12" laptop with a Pentium processor for €320. But the battery life seems to be rather poor and Acer isn't exactly my favourite brand.

P.S.: Windows 8 is the only show in town, you don't really have a choice in the matter. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Torqay wrote: »
    An 8" screen? I think not. Besides, this netbook must have been catching a lot of dust in their warehouse, it's more than 4 years old. As I said, netbooks are discontinued for quite some time

It also comes with a power-efficient Core i3 processor and can take on some workload. Stay clear of any laptop with an AMD or Intel Atom processor. They'll cave in when you have a web browser open with more than a few tabs.

Here's a 12" laptop with a Pentium processor for €320. But the battery life seems to be rather poor and Acer isn't exactly my favourite brand.

P.S.: Windows 8 is the only show in town, you don't really have a choice in the matter. ;)

Well, I do want it to be small but not *too* small. Slimline and lightweight. 8" seems good. I'm highly tempted by the vivobook, though... you may have me sold!

Advertisement