Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing gear in Aldi

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Slasher wrote: »
    Aldi have some of their fishing gear in again.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-specialbuys-4th-august/

Some of it looks like good quality. If you're about six foot or over, almost none of the clothes will fit you.

The fishing tackle bag and LED head lamp are great bits of kit indeed.Seperate rigid bait compartment built into the bags base...(very handy indeed).Lots of space for 2-3 reels,tackle,weights and some food/drink.Several large zipper pockets too.

Headlamp is a mere 4 euro.

It has a grand long and wide beam of light which is very good for night fishing/shore angling.:)
    Takes 3 x AAA batteries....which last forever.The batteries come with the headlamp.

I swapped them out for 3 x AAA rechargables instead.

Both items are well worth the few bob.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

As feared the bag was too small for my use and heard other's in there saying similar. Fine bag (for the price) if it was bigger.

The headlamp was expensive for what it was. Plenty of equals on eBay for little or nothing. eg. Or better still pick up a Cree LED headlamp for under a tenner.

The rod rests and scales were dirt.

The clothes were what they were. As mentioned they don't look like they'd fit the taller of us but I'm sure they'll help keep some warm in the winter.

Fieldboots are a bit useless as they aren't waterproof. But for €14.99 they might do the fair weather fishermen.

Neoprene gloves and socks could be useful.

Polarized glasses for €4.99 is as cheap as you'll get and will do the job.

There was other bits and pieces too. Worth a look if you're in there but I wouldn't be travelling there especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

not too sure about the rods,but ive heard the reels are decent on them.

beano345 wrote: »
    not too sure about the rods,but ive heard the reels are decent on them.

Just spent an afternoon up at Clogherhead testing the telescopic beachcaster and reel out.

Rod wont take much abuse,but reel is well built and has 15lb breaking strain line on it.

Good line retrival rate too.:)

Rod is claimed to be a 12 foot beachcaster with a casting weight of 4-6oz,but at best its a spinning rod and 4oz is about the limit for casting...even then its a tad too heavy for casting.

I found that a 3oz weight was about right for the rod.

Pj! wrote: »
    As feared the bag was too small for my use and heard other's in there saying similar. Fine bag (for the price) if it was bigger.

The headlamp was expensive for what it was. Plenty of equals on eBay for little or nothing. eg. Or better still pick up a Cree LED headlamp for under a tenner.

The rod rests and scales were dirt.

The clothes were what they were. As mentioned they don't look like they'd fit the taller of us but I'm sure they'll help keep some warm in the winter.

Fieldboots are a bit useless as they aren't waterproof. But for €14.99 they might do the fair weather fishermen.

Neoprene gloves and socks could be useful.

Polarized glasses for €4.99 is as cheap as you'll get and will do the job.

There was other bits and pieces too. Worth a look if you're in there but I wouldn't be travelling there especially.

The LED headlight I bought in Aldi was 4 euro and is a great bit of kit.Good bright beam of light to see well infront of you..:)

Neoprene gloves are good and have pull back thumbs and index fingers...handy for changing bait.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just spent an afternoon up at Clogherhead testing the telescopic beachcaster and reel out.

Rod wont take much abuse,but reel is well built and has 15lb breaking strain line on it.

Rod is claimed to be a 12 foot beachcaster with a casting weight of 4-6oz,but at best its a spinning rod an 4oz is about the limit for casting...even then its a tad too heavy for casting.

I found that a 3oz weight was abiut right for the rod.

i might invest in one so just for the reel,theres an ol fella who fishes beside me on the barrow with one of their telescopic rods in all fairness they dont look half bad but id rather stick to my own rod! hes caught a few good size pike with it but i normally dont target pike anyways!

Also bought the dark green fishing fleece top for a tenner and also the balaclava for 4 euro.
    Both are a good bit of kit for the money.

The balaclava has an adjustable draw cord on it so that you are nice and snug in it.

Oh and grabbed another pair of the neoprene gloves....(pair for my missus)

I stayed away from the fishing boots.......as only the soles are waterproof,so any surf comming up the beach onto your feet/ankles and you would have wet feet instantly.

Oh and I also bought a large plastic bottle of Stanley hand washing gel.

No water needed to use it.......very handy for washing the hands after comming back up off the beach and just before getting back into the car to head home.

Reduced from 4 euro to 1 euro 99 cents for a large bottle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The LED headlight I bought in Aldi was 4 euro and is a great bit of kit.Good bright beam of light to see well infront of you..:)
    They're the same as the €1.50 eBay ones Paddy. Halfords have a sturdier Energiser one complete with Energiser batteries for a fiver lately. Probably fairly limited stock by now though.

For a good beam get a CREE light for not much more.
    It's best to stick to the cheaper headlights for fishing though. They always get broken!
    Also bought the dark green fishing fleece top for a tenner and also the balaclava for 4 euro.
    That balaclava looked decent for the price alright.
    Oh and I also bought a large plastic bottle of Stanley hand washing gel.
    Am after something like that. Did you get that in Aldi too? Is this it?

Pj! wrote: »
    They're the same as the €1.50 eBay ones Paddy. Halfords have a sturdier Energiser one complete with Energiser batteries for a fiver lately. Probably fairly limited stock by now though.

For a good beam get a CREE light for not much more.
    It's best to stick to the cheaper headlights for fishing though. They always get broken!

That balaclava looked decent for the price alright.

Am after something like that. Did you get that in Aldi too? Is this it?

Thats the exact camping headlamp I bought in Aldi for 4 euro a few weeks back....(just different brand name).

Needed the headllamp right there and then...(tilly lantern broke) so needed 2 headlights (1 for me and 1 for my missus) and Aldi was on the way to the beach in Wicklow.:)

We were still on the beach at 1:30am fishing under a moonlit sky.:D

Thats the Stanley hand wash gell there.
    Works a treat too.:)

The balaclava is good aswell,its fits on and is snug to your face and neck when you adjust the cord on it to suit.

• Advertisement

Heres a pic of the fixed spool reel from the telescopic beachcaster combo kit.

I decided to use it with my other spinning rod,as the Aldi beachcaster is not really that great a job....(see post 5 on the matter)

Its ok and it would get you through a few light fishing trips,or be handy to be kept in the back of the car.But personally I would rather use a different rod.

The reel is good and seems to be sturdy enough and smooth when reeling back in.

Good size spool and 15lb breaking strain line on it.....which is good/usefull for shore fishing.Chunky handle too,so you have some power in it to reel in.

We will see how long it lasts though.

has anybody tried their lures?wonder if there any use for perch?

has anybody tried their lures?wonder if there any use for perch?

Very lightweight to the feel...5-7 grammes I think

I had a look at some of the pike/perch lures in Woodies DIY yesterday...12-15g in weight and some of them are vaned diving lures too.

Again,they look ok,but dont know how they good they are in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rod is claimed to be a 12 foot beachcaster with a casting weight of 4-6oz,but at best its a spinning rod and 4oz is about the limit for casting...even then its a tad too heavy for casting.

I found that a 3oz weight was about right for the rod.

The rod is very heavy. Spent saturday spinning with it and by the end I was in bits. The reel is very nice though, and I like the overall build quality. Although Id recommend tightening all the nuts before you take a trip out. For the price its very good value, even if you end up putting the reel on a lighter rod.

Edit: The rod I have is a blue beachcaster, noticed its red in your pictures Paddy, so to clarify, Im talking about this one

Very lightweight to the feel...5-7 grammes I think

I had a look at some of the pike/perch lures in Woodies DIY yesterday...12-15g in weight and some of them are vaned diving lures too.

Again,they look ok,but dont know how they good they are in real life.

woodies stock fishing tackle? good to hear theres one next door to me! never tried lures for perch,i know when i reel a worm on the line in there going for it right up to the bank so im going to try spin for some tonight. vicious little fish :pac:

syklops wrote: »
    The rod is very heavy. Spent saturday spinning with it and by the end I was in bits. The reel is very nice though, and I like the overall build quality. Although Id recommend tightening all the nuts before you take a trip out. For the price its very good value, even if you end up putting the reel on a lighter rod.

Yep you would have arm pump after a few hours of casting/spinning...:pac::(:D

And as you have said aswell,the reel is of good build quality

woodies stock fishing tackle? good to hear theres one next door to me! never tried lures for perch,i know when i reel a worm on the line in there going for it right up to the bank so im going to try spin for some tonight. vicious little fish :pac:

20-30lb class Boat Rods

12 foot beachcasters,8 foot spinning rods and double tipped 10 feet fresh water rods and fly fishing rods.

Various Fishing reels.

Fishing tackle,hooks,fresh water and salt water lures,mackerel feathers and weights.

Some of the stuff is a little pricey....(2 x 4oz weights are 4 euro 50 cents)

20-30lb class Boat Rods

12 foot beachcasters,8 foot spinning rods and double tipped 10 feet fresh water rods and fly fishing rods.

Various Fishing reels.

Fishing tackle,hooks,fresh water and salt water lures,mackerel feathers and weights.

Some fo the stuff is a little pricey....(2 x 4oz weights are 4 euro 50 cents)

looks like a shopping spree tonight aldi is beside woodies too :pac: normally fishing gear sells out quick in the aldi in carlow

looks like a shopping spree tonight aldi is beside woodies too :pac: normally fishing gear sells out quick in the aldi in carlow

Lots of it left in Balymun and Coolock branches....mind you though,the lures seem to have sold out fast there.

Lots of it left in Balymun and Coolock branches....mind you though,the lures seem to have sold out fast there.

as far as i know theres two aldi in carlow,for that price they'd be worth having you just never know what you'd catch.

• Advertisement

Yeah Woodies have some decent stuff.
    woodies stock fishing tackle? good to hear theres one next door to me! never tried lures for perch,i know when i reel a worm on the line in there going for it right up to the bank so im going to try spin for some tonight. vicious little fish

Not had much luck spinning for perch. You'd be better off with a worm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Spinning/lures are great for bigger Perch, they love a med sized black fury mepps or a small perch coloured rappala, but for shoals of smaller perch worms/maggots would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Was in Aldi in Nutgrove yesterday and they had lots of tackle. I didnt fance the rods or baits but I did buy a fishing bag. It was smaller that what I would have liked but would do for shorter fishing trips. Great at just less than €15

Picked up the last two of the lures in aldi didn't try them tonight but will report back when I do. One of the packs contains two leaders and two pretty strong traces worth the 5 euro alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Slasher wrote: »

Felt a bit let down when I seen they didn't have the small bag in again this year. It's in 2 of the pics in the little magazine they have but not on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I know I've been a naysayer about the Aldi gear in the past and wouldn't use it, but the Polarized Glasses for a fiver are a real bargain for the fishing and are reasonable quality

21/25

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Felt a bit let down when I seen they didn't have the small bag in again this year. It's in 2 of the pics in the little magazine they have but not on sale!

I felt the same about the tent/wind breaker thing. Its in the picture with the "Dad" but not on sale. Maybe both will be coming in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

syklops wrote: »
    I felt the same about the tent/wind breaker thing. Its in the picture with the "Dad" but not on sale. Maybe both will be coming in a few weeks.

True enough, ya think we have a case for false advertising? :) They usually only have the tackle on sale once a year! I actually wanted to get 2 or 3 of them bags as they're good quality!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

gumbo1 wrote: »
    True enough, ya think we have a case for false advertising? :) They usually only have the tackle on sale once a year! I actually wanted to get 2 or 3 of them bags as they're good quality!

I doubt they'll have them in a few weeks as they weren't with this lot. But if you really want them they were available in the UK. You can buy them online and get them shipped to ParcelMotel, ParcelWizard or AddressPal (ParcelWizard probably the best).

https://www.aldi.co.uk/fishing-bag/p/070737050029100

£12.99 a bag which works out at about €15.50. Shipping is free in the UK so you'll just have to pay the ~€4 for the ParcelMotel, ParcelWizard or AddressPal service.

Fine bags but they're small. Wouldn't advise any to buy them unless they seen them in the flesh (or want a small bag).

Advertisement