Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing Relative

• 05-08-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help with my tree. My grandfather was born in 1927 in London. He had a brother called Patrick that he fell out with and didn't speak to. I never met Patrick but remember a relative saying he moved to Bristol as an adult. There is no birth record for Patrick. I have both my great grandparents names and have searched using his mother's maiden name and my family name. I have searched from 1920 onwards. I have considered that he may not be my great grandfathers child but still no luck. Could it be that the record is lost? I have worldwide membership on ancestry.
    I can't ask my grandad as he died in 1995. He wouldn't have told me anyway. My dad doesn't have any further information either.
    I have completed the rest of my tree but keep coming back to Patrick. I've spent 4 yrs working on this and would love to complete the last piece of the puzzle. Can anyone tell me where I might find this record? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is the family Irish?

Is it possible Patrick was born in Ireland? Why did you search from 1920 onwards? When did the great-grandparents get married - if you don't have their marriage cert, get it to be sure of dates, and then search before it for a birth anyway.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is it possible that Patrick is not his first name (but perhaps his second) ?

All UK births from 1916 onward list the mothers maiden name so it should be possible to check all births for someone with a certain surname with the mothers name and see what comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

My great grandparents married in London in 1926, he was English and she was Irish. I have their marriage certificate. I tried omitting Patricks first name and using my great grandmothers surname. But there are no other children born to her showing on ancestry except my granddad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

Did you try searching with just the father's last name? I've found many births this way because the mother's name was not transcribed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Did you try searching with just the father's last name? I've found many births this way because the mother's name was not transcribed.

I don't think that there is a way to search for UK birth records using the fathers name, at least not in Ancestry or FreeBMD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't think that there is a way to search for UK birth records using the fathers name, at least not in Ancestry or FreeBMD...

Sorry, I meant search for "Patrick Surname" rather than "Patrick Surname + mother's surname"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Sorry, I meant search for "Patrick Surname" rather than "Patrick Surname + mother's surname"
    Yes I tried that.
    Now I'm wondering if he was adopted by them or maybe a child my great grandfather
    had with another woman.
    Could the record be lost or missing?

Advertisement