Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breeder in Donegal?

Options
  • 05-08-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anyone recommend a good dog breeder?

Looking for a small dog only...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

ninyule wrote: »

Thanks

http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/

one or two dogs on here. go in two animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks

Why not rescue a dog? There are lots of dog's / puppies out there looking for a good home. Give Donegal pet rescue council pound and maybe the rainbow rehoming centre (they have a mini jack russell 8 mth old ATM) a call see what they have. You'd be surprised what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ninyule

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. The problem is you can't tell the good from the bad on donedeal.

Re rescue dog, great idea but we are a couple in our 60s and don't feel we can put in the work required to rehome a dog with possibly many issues.

Wife wants a Border Terrier (pure or cross) but they seem to be very rare here in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Re rescue dog, great idea but we are a couple in our 60s and don't feel we can put in the work required to rehome a dog with possibly many issues.

Wife wants a Border Terrier (pure or cross) but they seem to be very rare here in Ireland....

Maybe try the Irish Kennel Club and they can put you into contact with a breeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. The problem is you can't tell the good from the bad on donedeal.

This stigma attached to rescue dogs is one that I am yet to come across in reality. Of the many many homes I've seen with rescue dogs, my own included, I'm yet to see a dog troublesome above what is usually accepted. In fact a lot of the dogs you'll find are surrendered because the owner is moving abroad or unable to care for the dog anymore and the dog will be already trained ...

Each to their own though ;)

As Maldesu said the kennel club. They will have a list of registered breeder's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

This stigma attached to rescue dogs is one that I am yet to come across in reality. Of the many many homes I've seen with rescue dogs, my own included, I'm yet to see a dog troublesome above what is usually accepted. In fact a lot of the dogs you'll find are surrendered because the owner is moving abroad or unable to care for the dog anymore and the dog will be already trained ...

Each to their own though ;)

As Maldesu said the kennel club. They will have a list of registered breeder's.

Funny i have to agree with homer here they have a lot of dogs that have no issues and as said are all ready trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to echo what others have said about the rescue dogs.

If you popped in and told them your circumstances they may have a dog there that would be suitable or alternatively they could take your number and call you at a later date as dogs are continually "passing through" there.

However if you have a specific breed in mind then maybe try a couple of the other links that were posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

+1 for donegal pet rescue, they have a fb page that they put up new dogs they get etc. I know it's nice having dog from puppy especially with training but they have dogs of all ages and breeds.

They really do good work and it's not always "troubled" dogs sometimes it's people who it just doesn't work out for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

All 3 of my dogs are essentially rescue dogs. Didn't get them from a rehoming centre etc but all 3 were unwanted by their owners and would either have been left to the Rainbow Centre or even put down.

All 3 have been a doddle. No issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

I also second Donegal Pet Rescue. In fact I had to give my own dog over to them as I moved out of family home and couldn't take him with me because the garden ain't enclosed or secure. I may be biased but he is very well trained and loves going for walks n hugs etc. Was very tough but DPR was brilliant and now he is in good home. Would have been unfair for family to keep him especially with his `owner`(my brother) being in Australia and I was the only one who would take him for walks and vet etc. So yeah there are plenty dogs with DPR that weren't abused or neglected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement