Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 8GB Factory Unlocked on Amazon - Should I buy?

• 05-08-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been looking around for a new phone and I found an iPhone on amazon for 259 dollars (195 euro). I'm wondering if this phone will work in Ireland and if I can just insert my old sim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It depends on whether it's the GSM or the CDMA version. CDMA doesn't use SIMs and only works in the US.

Even at €195, by the time you pay for shipping and customs charges it might not be worth your while. I would wait until September when the new phones are expected to be announced. The rumoured lower cost phone might fit your budget and will be more up-to-date than the 4. If the iphone 4 is discontinued you might pick up a bargain if the networks sell off the remaining stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Finnsch

It's definitely GSM and I need a phone urgently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It depends on whether it's the GSM or the CDMA version. CDMA doesn't use SIMs and only works in the US.

Even at €195, by the time you pay for shipping and customs charges it might not be worth your while. I would wait until September when the new phones are expected to be announced. The rumoured lower cost phone might fit your budget and will be more up-to-date than the 4. If the iphone 4 is discontinued you might pick up a bargain if the networks sell off the remaining stock.
    There's no way a budget iPhone would be that cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Too old. 8GB is too little.

Are you interested in an iPhone or is it the price?

Currently you can get a 16GB Samsung Ativ S from Amazon.de for €224 delivered to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

guil wrote: »
    There's no way a budget iPhone would be that cheap

It won't be that cheap and that's not what I said. Let's take a wild guess and say it will be €399. The specifications are expected to be similar to an iPhone 5 in a plastic case. The 4 only has 8 gb storage and is a 3+ year old model. With postage and customs the imported model could be over €250, possibly more as most of the cheaper models on amazon appear to be CDMA.

Knowing apple the "cheap" model might be €600. We won't know for a few more weeks but i would wait and see. Anyway, just my 2c for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As far as I was aware the budget iPhone will only be available in emerging markets like China and India. So Western Europe and North America will not get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

skimpydoo wrote: »
    As far as I was aware the budget iPhone will only be available in emerging markets like China and India. So Western Europe and North America will not get it.

As far as anyone outside of Apple is aware, there is no budget iPhone.

There are plenty of rumours around a budget iPhone, some purported product shots along with lots and lots of speculation.

Are some of the rumours likely to be correct? Probably.
    Can anyone here definitively state what, when, where and how much? Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

For less than €200 it's not bad. 8gb is ok, but that's really less than 7gb of usable space - once you've got a few apps, a few albums and a few photos on there it'll be time to empty it out. Any reason why you wouldn't take out a €35ish/mo contract and get a free phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Finnsch wrote: »
    It's definitely GSM and I need a phone urgently....

Then shipping one from the US isn't the way. Have a look at adverts.ie. You could have a bargain in your hands by tea time.

Advertisement