Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattery in Limerick open over christmas?

• 05-08-2013 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Myself and OH will be away on christmas eve and christmas day so we will need somewhere to board our 3 cats for 2 nights. Does anyone know of any catteries in Limerick that open over christmas and if so, how far in advance do I need to book? I presume there's a big demand for boarding kennels at that time of year :) Also, how much do these places usually charge? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Most catteries and kennels are open at holiday time, because that is when they are in most demand. But you do need to book well in advance. I can recommend Jockey Hall in Crecora, several of my friends board their cats there and are very happy with the set up and the care they receive.

If you are only going to be away for two nights, you might consider keeping them at home and having Elly from Whiskers and Paws visiting them to feed them, clean litter trays, give cuddles etc. instead! About half a dozen of my cat-owning friends use Elly's services and she is absolutely brilliant - I honestly couldn't recommend her more highly. If it's only a short break, it might be less stressful on the cats to keep them in their home environment. I'd definitely go with that option, if I could. Elly also has a facebook page here where you can see more feedback from her clients.

PS Post on the Limerick forum too, you might get more responses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If it is only for two nights do you really need to board them? Additional bowls of dry stuff and water should carry them over (and additional temporary toilets) and that would minimize the change for your cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

TBH, I'd rather put them in a kennel because they are usually indoor-outdoor, they have access to the back garden through a catflap and the last time we went for 2 nights and had someone in to feed them, 1 of them went roaming 'looking' for us and we didn't get him back for a week :( Locking the catflap and keeping them inside with a litter tray is not and option either as I am pregnant and cannot risk having cat litter around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Well it's only one aspect in making your decision, but there is no fear of you at all with the cat litter. I've had pregnant friends who didn't change their cats' toileting routine at all. The advice given is to avoid cleaning the litter tray yourself, but you can if no one else will do it for you - just use gloves and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. In order to contract toxoplasmosis you would actually have to ingest some of the faeces - and that's if your cats are actually infected.

http://www.hse.ie/portal/eng/health/az/T/Toxoplasmosis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have a supressed immune system and am prone to pick up viruses and infections easily, so I use disposable gloves to clean the litter tray and I put the litter in a zip and seal bag. So far no problems. Of course I always wash my hands afterwards. I read somewhere that humans are more at risk of picking it up from handling raw meat than contracting it from cats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement