Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RaboPro12 13/14 season thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Edinburgh are still very much in with a shot of qualifying the European tournament next season. Bloody odd move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Laidlaw is moving to Gloucester next season and he's going on tour with Scotland in June when they play USA, Canada, Argentina, and SA (now that's some air miles!) so he'll be playing until June 28.

I'd imagine Gloucester have no interest in giving him a late start to the 14/15 season so Edinburgh are taking the fall for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14569.php#.UzLiTfl_tgg

Laidlaw has been given 5 weeks off.

Now this is bad for the league!

Seems odd with Edinburgh not qualifying for next season's European Cup. That's 6 games they won't have to play. Surely could have just benched him for a few games..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems odd with Edinburgh not qualifying for next season's European Cup. That's 6 games they won't have to play. Surely could have just benched him for a few games..

Not with Edin next season and they're far from out of the HEC at the moment. Between them, Scarlets and Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Eod100 wrote: »

Laiwlaw is off to the AP next season and edinburgh will be in the 2nd tier competition if the dont make the new HEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not with Edin next season and they're far from out of the HEC at the moment. Between them, Scarlets and Connacht.
    neilmulvey wrote: »
    Laiwlaw is off to the AP next season and edinburgh will be in the 2nd tier competition if the dont make the new HEC.

Had forgotten that. Forgot they're still in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rumour from Twitter
    David K (@munsterman1) tweeted at 8:53 PM on Wed, Mar 26, 2014:
    Sounds like heineken will be new pro12 sponsor hinted at on irish radio -well known beer brand current high profile in the sport! @simonrug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

No doubt this is due to the league's Leinster bias...

Swan Curry wrote: »

Wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Come again? :confused:

That was meant as a joke,I was supposed to put one of those :D faces in there.

That was meant as a joke,I was supposed to put one of those :D faces in there.

Am I missing something, aside from the smiley :confused:

phog wrote: »
    Am I missing something, aside from the smiley :confused:

Heineken?Leinster?You know what,forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Heineken?Leinster?You know what,forget it.
    What's Heineken got to do with Leinster ? Serious question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

jjjd wrote: »
    What's Heineken got to do with Leinster ? Serious question.

Heino, but I'm not gonna tell you.

• Advertisement

Surely I'm not the only Leinster fan who's heard jokes involving Heineken being a D4 drink?It's all Ross O'Carroll Kelly drinks in the books.That's what I was (in jest) referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Don't worry about it. Everyone is just on edge with the week that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I got it, I got it!

Could be Guiness either? Although if Heineken are losing the HEC then that might make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Surely I'm not the only Leinster fan who's heard jokes involving Heineken being a D4 drink?It's all Ross O'Carroll Kelly drinks in the books.That's what I was (in jest) referring to.
    Ah fair enough, not from Leinster so wouldn't know about that. Thought it may have been a snide remark about a certain trophy up for grabs and who may be the eventual winner of it this year. Counting chickens and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

phog wrote: »
    Rumour from Twitter

Heineken and Sky

Good combo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

If you were a real Leinster fan, you'd know that it's just "Ken". Or Vitamin H if used to cure a hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Heino and Sky certainly have form in this area. Hopefully exciting times ahead for the Pro 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

molloyjh wrote: »
    Could be Guiness either? Although if Heineken are losing the HEC then that might make sense.

Alcohol advertising is illegal in France.

Arthur's Rugby Champions Cup then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Morf wrote: »
    Alcohol advertising is illegal in France.

Arthur's Rugby Champions Cup then?

Look at the thread title...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

keps wrote: »
    Heineken and Sky

Good combo

I like the sound of that! Looking forward to Sky coverage next season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

vienne86 wrote: »

Not in this household.

Yes in some ways it would be good, but with the Welsh regions haemorrhaging players the way they are along with the relative lack of quality in Scotland and Italy it's going to be a very tough product to promote and sell. At the moment there are 3 provinces, Ospreys and Glasgow that are properly competitive. That's less than half the league. And there's more Welsh players on the way out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You could argue that the Rabo is just as competitive at the top as the Aviva, if not slightly more, as a league in itself.

In the Aviva the top 4 is nearly finalised as Leicester, in 4th, are 7 points ahead of Sale, in 5th, and 9 points ahead of Quins, in 6th. Only the top 6 in the Aviva have won more games than they've lost.

In the rabo the top 4 hasn't been decided as Glasgow and Ospreys are still in the mix. Though it's only the top 5 who have won more than they've lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Look at the thread title...

Oooh . . . ummm. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Thornley saying that Turkish Airlines are in for the league sponsorship, but Heineken aren't.

Just watching Glasgow v Ospreys - a dull affair - 3-0 to Ospreys at half time. Quite a strong wind, which Glasgow will have in their favour in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Ospreys are in trouble for the play-offs now...

I thought they were going to sneak it at the end there, a bit more composure in setting up the drop goal was needed but they snatched at it.

They're home to Leinster next and then have Dragons (a), Zebre (a), and Connacht (h), so have a handy enough run in.

I thought they were going to sneak it at the end there, a bit more composure in setting up the drop goal was needed but they snatched at it.

They're home to Leinster next and then have Dragons (a), Zebre (a), and Connacht (h), so have a handy enough run in.

Great last 5.

GW have Munster away and Ulster at home so that's tough enough I suppose.

Although if they could take 5 points from those games I'd favour them:)

I think it depends on how Ulster do in Europe. If they beat Saracens I'm not sure they'll make the play offs in the Rabo.

I can see Ospreys winning nearly all, if not all their remaining games and Glasgow have a great run in too.

Ulster finish up with games against Glasgow, Munster and Leinster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thornley saying that Turkish Airlines are in for the league sponsorship, but Heineken aren't.

The Turkey 12?

rockbeast wrote: »
    Great last 5.

GW have Munster away and Ulster at home so that's tough enough I suppose.

Although if they could take 5 points from those games I'd favour them:)

Remember that Glasgow have two games in hand - one v Zebre (I think) and one v Edinburgh - cold be 10 points there.

Remember that Glasgow have two games in hand - one v Zebre (I think) and one v Edinburgh - cold be 10 points there.

don't think they'll get 5 vs edinburgh but should be interesting for 3rd/4th.

Think Ulster are safe for at least 4th.

• Advertisement

rockbeast wrote: »
    don't think they'll get 5 vs edinburgh but should be interesting for 3rd/4th.

Think Ulster are safe for at least 4th.
    I'd say Ulster will be 3rd/4th with Glasgow. I can't see the Hairsprays making the knock outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Great finish from Seymour for the try. He had no right to score that and the Ospreys will be raging with their defence. Biggar should never have let him get in front of him to touch down. Very lazy pillar defence also from Adam Jones who allowed Glasgow come straight through the ruck to make the try. Given that he had only come onto the pitch 5 minutes beforehand, there's no excuse.

With only 4 games left, it's near impossible to see the Ospreys making the top 4 now.

Buer wrote: »

With only 4 games left, it's near impossible to see the Ospreys making the top 4 now.

I think you're right - I think it'sll be three Irish provinces and Glasgow, and just a toss up for the order.

With 20 mins to go Zebre are beating the Dragons 19-18!

Good news for Edinburgh and Connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

22-18 now, good news for Zebre really. They might get in ahead of Treviso at this rate.

Well they will if they win today but Treviso have a game in hand, which they'll play next week away to Glasgow!

• Advertisement

Leinster 68pts: Toulon (a), Ospreys (a), Treviso (h), Possible HEC SF, Ulster (a), Edinburgh (h)

Munster 63pts: Toulouse (h), Glasgow (h), Connacht (a), Possible HEC SF, Edinburgh (a), Ulster (h)

Ulster 60pts: Saracens (h), Connacht (h), Glasgow (a), Possible HEC SF, Leinster (h), Munster (a)

Ospreys 52pts: week off, Leinster (h), Dragons (a), week off, Zebre (a), Connacht (h)

Glasgow 51pts: Treviso (h), Munster (a), Ulster (h), Edinburgh (h), Treviso (a), Zebre (h)

You'd worry for Ulster now. I can see Ospreys getting at least another 14pts if not more (they could/should have won last night so I think they could beat Leinster) and Glasgow will fancy going to Munster the week after the Toulouse game so could bring in 17-21pts not incl what happens in the Ulster game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

big chance for connacht tomorrow. Dragons drew in italy, Edinburgh lost.

Realistically I think it's too much for Connacht overall. If they lose tomorrow that'll be it for them regarding Europe. A win will keep them alive and I'd say they'd fancy their chances against Ulster if they did get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Realistically I think it's too much for Connacht overall. If they lose tomorrow that'll be it for them regarding Europe. A win will keep them alive and I'd say they'd fancy their chances against Ulster if they did get the win.

Don't write them off. Connacht, with 19 points from their last 4 games, are the in-form team in the league. :D

They have a horrible run in to the end of the season though.

It sure is.

To qualify for Europe they need to win in Lanelli for the first time in how many years, win in Belfast for the first time in how many years, and beat Munster for the first time in how many years?

If Munster and Ulster make it to the HEC SF's it makes their games against them take a different slant I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement