Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RaboPro12 13/14 season thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dregin wrote: »
    Do you not think he's holding Jackson back by taking the kicking duties from him and Marshall back by taking his place at 9? I think those are two points that the IRFU would also look at when weighing up the pros and cons.

A lot of people between 2011/2012 were saying Madigan couldn't make a 10 as he wasn't involved in the kicking duties and they were usually passed off to Fergus or Isa. I think that was done to get him more involved in what he needed to do as a 10 in game. He played far stronger in 10 during 2012/2013 because of it and really begain to pick up on kicking duties as well.

I think the same thing is possibly intended with Jackson up in Ulster. Although admittedly I haven't watched much of their matches over the last 2 seasons. It's just what I suspect is going on, from what I've seen with how Madigan was brought more into the squad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

bilston wrote: »
    Well he's not holding Marshall back from playing for Ireland as Marshall isn't good enough.

This is the thing - he's not getting a chance to achieve his full potential getting 20 odd minutes per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

dregin wrote: »
    This is the thing - he's not getting a chance to achieve his full potential getting 20 odd minutes per game.

Marshall gets loads of game time for Ulster. Sure Pienaar isn't available for September and most of October and November and then Pienaar plays the odd game at 10 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Indeed. Paul Marshall has over 100 appearances for Ulster over 50 of which are starting. The guy has had loads of time on the pitch to develop. He just hasn't delivered consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

There have been numerous posts in different threads pointing out that, in the 2011-2012 season, Marshall had more minutes playing than any other IQ scrum-half. Last season, by the 1st of January 2013, Ulster had played 16 competitive games. Pienaar had played in 7 - so, just less than half. Heaney is good, and will leapfrog Marshall. It's not about Pienaar holding him back.

I suspect Munster weren't allowed to bend the rules with a back-up NIQ scrumhalf as they'd already been given a bye ball in being allowed Botha (re-signed when Afoa was in place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Pienaar is a great player, but Ulster are coming to a stage where he could be hindering Jackson's development. Jackson is still very young, but he needs to start controlling games if he is to continue his development. He won't be doing that any time soon with a player like Pienaar inside him. On top of that, both Marshall and Heaney will struggle to progress further with him blocking the path.

It will be interesting to see what standard of NIEs come to Ulster once the Muller's and Pienaar's move on. Will they be scrapping with Leinster and Munster to find some cheap, promising SHers, or will they still be able to bring in top class talent? Will Connacht end up getting some extra funding in order to bring them up to standard with the other provinces? Ulster were definitely an under-performing side, but as league standings go, they were in a similar place to Connacht before the NIEs arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I suspect Munster weren't allowed to bend the rules with a back-up NIQ scrumhalf as they'd already been given a bye ball in being allowed Botha (re-signed when Afoa was in place).

I really don't agree with that opinion. Botha's contract was extended just as Muller and Nacewa's contract were before him. Yes Ulster had a TH prop in place, but Munster lost a South African international and one of their NIE spots in order to keep the 33 year old Botha on. When you look how Ulster and Leinster were allowed use medical jokers to cover when they weren't completely needed, Munster are hardly the ones getting a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really don't agree with that opinion. Botha's contract was extended just as Muller and Nacewa's contract were before him. Yes Ulster had a TH prop in place, but Munster lost a South African international and one of their NIE spots in order to keep the 33 year old Botha on. When you look how Ulster and Leinster were allowed use medical jokers to cover when they weren't completely needed, Munster are hardly the ones getting a great deal.

Who were the NIQ 2nd row and 15 when Nacewa and Muller signed their deals?

The big difference is that at lock we have POC, DOC, Ryan, Toner, McCarthy, Henderson and Toner who have all played 6N rugby in the past two tournaments and generally people would have little issue with any of them starting a 6N match.

On the wing we have Trimble, Zebo, Fitzgerald, Gilroy, Bowe and Earls who have all played 6N rugby in the past two tournaments and people would generally have little issue with any of them starting a 6N match.

At tighthead we have Mike Ross.

Tom Court appeared for about 60 minutes at tighthead in the 2012 6N which was an unparalleled disaster. Declan Fitzpatrick got about 12 minutes off the bench this season when he wasn't broken and didn't really do much to impress and Archer got 14 minutes against Italy where he was shown up badly.

The need at tighthead is vastly different. I hope the IRFU are going to have the sense not to treat things in a black and white manner. I'm sure they're more acutely aware of anyone how screwed we still are at tighthead if Ross was to break a leg the week before the 6N.

Nathan White is probably genuinely the front runner to be the back up in a year which is a horrible indictment of the development of tighthead props on this island.

• Advertisement

When you look how Ulster and Leinster were allowed use medical jokers to cover when they weren't completely needed, Munster are hardly the ones getting a great deal.

You know that Thorn (I assume you're referring to him) was just taking an available NIQ spot? He wasn't an additional signing.

Terblanche was a direct replacement for Payne who was ruled out for an entire season. I don't understand why anyone would have any issue with that.

Melck was signed as cover when Leamy was injured. Morland was brought in when TOL was still recovering. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

A couple of signings of interest.

Zebre have obtained the services Brendon Leonard from Walkato Chiefs. Appeared 13 times for the All Blacks. I wonder how much that deal cost?

Also Edinburgh have been busy in Australia. They have signed Alex and Ben Toolis from Queensland Premier Grade side GPS Old Boys. It seems the twins mother comes from Lanarkshire. Also Ollie Atkins and Grayson Hart have been signed from Waratahs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

OldRio wrote: »
    A couple of signings of interest.

Zebre have obtained the services Brendon Leonard from Walkato Chiefs. Appeared 13 times for the All Blacks. I wonder how much that deal cost?

Also Edinburgh have been busy in Australia. They have signed Alex and Ben Toolis from Queensland Premier Grade side GPS Old Boys. It seems the twins mother comes from Lanarkshire. Also Ollie Atkins and Grayson Hart have been signed from Waratahs.

I believe Grayson Hart has a Scottish grandfather too.
    Keeping with Edinburgh, they're moving Stuart McInally from the backrow to hooker. Would have thought he'd be too tall for that position, has decent bulk already and I felt he was a decent backrow, looked to be improving with every game. Interesting to see who this pans out, Ross Ford previously went from back row to hooker too.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I believe Grayson Hart has a Scottish grandfather too.
    Keeping with Edinburgh, they're moving Stuart McInally from the backrow to hooker. Would have thought he'd be too tall for that position, has decent bulk already and I felt he was a decent backrow, looked to be improving with every game. Interesting to see who this pans out, Ross Ford previously went from back row to hooker too.

Steve Thompson too and Andrew Sheridan also moved to the front row all be it at prop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Edinburgh have signed yet another SH prop - James Hilterbrand of the Western Force - to go along with Wicus Blaauw and WP Nel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Hagz wrote: »
    Edinburgh have signed yet another SH prop - James Hilterbrand of the Western Force - to go along with Wicus Blaauw and WP Nel.

He is a hooker is he not?

• Advertisement

Fair bit of pre season action happened over the weekend. I think the most interesting result was Dragons beating a fairly strong Bath team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hagz wrote: »

He's Scottish qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just had a look at the TV schedule - is that it? There seems to be a lot of gaps - i.e. matches with no TV coverage. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the TV schedule - is that it? There seems to be a lot of gaps - i.e. matches with no TV coverage. Am I missing something?

Thought it was a bit bare myself although don't forget some of the games in Italy will be shown live by TG4/BBC Alba etc. Ireland needs a regular highlights programme similar to both BBC Wales 'Scrum V' and STV's Sunday night programme showing action from games not covered live.

It'd be great if Rabo themselves organised a highlights show. It could be streamed online, and I'd actually imagine it'd get a decent viewership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It'd be great if Rabo themselves organised a highlights show. It could be streamed online, and I'd actually imagine it'd get a decent viewership.

Their Youtube channel is brilliant.

.ak wrote: »
    Their Youtube channel is brilliant.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. All they'd need to do it is a "studio," two guffbags (Matt Williams?!) and the footage of all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I really like their YouTube channel. They were still posting content of last season up until a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come now over the next couple of seasons. Even looking at the SF in the RDS there's the full match report and all the important events in the game were being posted pretty much in real time. If they could condense the reports down a small bit then a highlight show is very possible. 2 mins 30 seconds on average per match will fill out an hour long show. They already have a voice over so it wouldn't be a big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLclPnIJd8nRsoDyarQchgl3CS5XdEUo-b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hopefully the new 'Second Captains' Live TV show on RTE (the exiled Off The Ball team) will include some of the more colourful rugby analysts and a bit of alternative debate

As luck would have it the first show airs the Tuesday after the Pro12 kicks off.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hopefully the new 'Second Captains' Live TV show on RTE (the exiled Off The Ball team) will include some of the more colourful rugby analysts and a bit of alternative debate

As luck would have it the first show airs the Tuesday after the Pro12 kicks off.

I would say it will be dominated by GAA and soccer for the moment with a small piece on rugby. We'll get something more substantial come HEC and autumn internationals but I can't see them giving us too much rugby with the hurling final taking place on September 8th and the massive Ireland vs Sweden game on the 6th and the Austria game on the 10th.

The Pro12 may barely register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah true, they only have an hour a week on telly as opposed to 15 hours of radio, and with the Pro12 on RTE the after match analysis will probably be the extent of it. Should be good for Autumn series time though, get Joe in on the sofa a stick a beer in his paw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

So we might get to see our away games to Italian Teams on TV afterall.

From here
    John Feehan, Chief Executive of Celtic Rugby, today announced that the RaboDirect PRO12 had concluded a TV rights agreement with Italian terrestrial TV broadcaster Mediaset to show all Italian home RaboDirect PRO12 games for both Italian PRO12 teams, Benetton Treviso and Zebre on channel Italia 2.

The agreement for the season 2013/2014 will also see many away games of the two Italian clubs screened to a growing Italian rugby TV audience.

Edited to add

Ok the good news is that it's being broadcast on Italia 2 the bad news is that it seems that it's not possible to tune it to the Sky Box. :(
    Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Not possible mate

Italia2 is on 13 east hotbird

You would need to move your dish and have another sat box.

I have it off my motorised setup so it's handy

phog wrote: »
    So we might get to see our away games to Italian Teams on TV afterall.

From here

Edited to add

Ok the good news is that it's being broadcast on Italia 2 the bad news is that it seems that it's not possible to tune it to the Sky Box. :(

Well at least the games are being broadcast. Last season BBC NI showed the Ulster away games in Italy on the red button, not sure what RTE or TG4 did with the other provinces. However the main thing is the games are being broadcast.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Red button is a pain in the hole. No good for us without sky. :(

Well at least the games are being broadcast. Last season BBC NI showed the Ulster away games in Italy on the red button, not sure what RTE or TG4 did with the other provinces. However the main thing is the games are being broadcast.

Not sure either TG4 or RTE will broadcast them here in Ireland, hopefully RTE will stream it at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

Go to the Pro12 website and click on results and fixtures. All TV details there.

RAKM wrote: »
    Go to the Pro12 website and click on results and fixtures. All TV details there.

Not really, the TV deal with the Italians was only announced today, they haven't updated their fixtures yet and RTE and TG4 would need a few days to decide if they wanted to rebroadcast in Ireland
    Date Time
    Home Score Away Venue TV/Att

September 2013
    Fri 6 Sep 19:05
    Scarlets v Leinster Rugby Parc y Scarlets BBCW More
    Fri 6 Sep 19:15
    Newport Gwent Dragons v Ulster Rugby Rodney Parade
    More
    Fri 6 Sep 19:35
    Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues Scotstoun Stadium BBC ALBA More
    Sat 7 Sep 17:00
    Connacht Rugby v Zebre Sportsground
    More
    Sat 7 Sep 19:15
    Munster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby Musgrave Park TG4/BBC ALBA More
    Sat 7 Sep 19:30
    Benetton Treviso v Ospreys Stadio Monigo S4C More
    Fri 13 Sep 19:05
    Cardiff Blues v Connacht Rugby Arms Park BBCW/TG4 More
    Fri 13 Sep 19:05
    Ulster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors Ravenhill Stadium BBCNI/ALBA More
    Fri 13 Sep 19:30
    Zebre v Munster Rugby Stadio XXV Aprile
    More

Fri 13 Sep 19:45
    Edinburgh Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons Murrayfield

awec wrote: »
    Red button is a pain in the hole. No good for us without sky. :(

It's a pain also if the game is being carried by Sky but broadcast by the Beeb or someone else because then you can't record it. For example tomorrow evening with two kids to get to bed it's hard to imagine I'll be able to watch the Dragons Ulster game on the red button. I suppose I could attach a VCR to the TV and record it that way but that sounds like a whoile lot of hassle!

No idea how I survived in the days before Sky Plus!

It's a pain also if the game is being carried by Sky but broadcast by the Beeb or someone else because then you can't record it. For example tomorrow evening with two kids to get to bed it's hard to imagine I'll be able to watch the Dragons Ulster game on the red button. I suppose I could attach a VCR to the TV and record it that way but that sounds like a whoile lot of hassle!

No idea how I survived in the days before Sky Plus!

I could be missing something here but if it's just a case of the game being available via the red button you can Sky Plus it nowadays. In the early days you couldn't do it.

Not sure if you mean it's not possible to do it because another broadcaster is broadcasting the game, if that's the case isn't technology great :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

Did Setanta Sports not got alot of the pro12 matches?

b_mac wrote: »

Afaik, they don't do live broadcasting of the Pro12.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

b_mac wrote: »

It's usually delayed coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

phog wrote: »
    I could be missing something here but if it's just a case of the game being available via the red button you can Sky Plus it nowadays. In the early days you couldn't do it.

Not sure if you mean it's not possible to do it because another broadcaster is broadcasting the game, if that's the case isn't technology great :(

You can on Skysports / Sky 1 etc etc. You can't on 3rd party channels like BBC.

You also can't on "other channels" like BBC Wales.

errlloyd wrote: »

Unless you are one of the glorious master race who live on the main land and work for the queen's shilling and have BBC Wales as channel 972 or whatever it is!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

thanks

I didn't realise the likes off BBC were showing games via the Red Button, I knew it wasn't possible to record the "other channels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Scorcher of a try. You can tell as soon as he gets the ball he's going to cause damage. Great footwork and explosiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

.ak wrote: »
    Scorcher of a try. You can tell as soon as he gets the ball he's going to cause damage. Great footwork and explosiveness.

Lovely conversion from the touchline too, think Glasgow will be very strong this year. Hope Cardiff are improved too, a more competitive league would be nicer. (I know Munster disappointed last year anyway, but if there were 7 or 8 teams genuinely contending for the play-offs and really going full tilt for it, it could make the league very interesting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The fact that Seymour isn't a guaranteed starter with Van Der Merve, Hogg and Maitland in the squad says a lot about Glasgow's firepower out wide!

Ospreys 10-3 up as we move towards HT in Treviso. They've a strong side with some injuries clearing up. Good centre partnership of Beck and Bishop. Adam Jones and Ian Evans on the bench. Ryan Jones back in the team. They're going to bring a very competitive side to Dublin. Leinster will need to eradicate the defensive and scrum issues they had last night or they'll be finishing empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ospreys hold on for a 24-19 win.

Backed them at Evens at 10-9. No stream, so had a nervous wait watching Twitter in the last few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lovely conversion from the touchline too, think Glasgow will be very strong this year. Hope Cardiff are improved too, a more competitive league would be nicer. (I know Munster disappointed last year anyway, but if there were 7 or 8 teams genuinely contending for the play-offs and really going full tilt for it, it could make the league very interesting).

Glasgow v Leinster semi was one of the most entertaining Rabo games I watched last season. With Maitland playing for them, I'll be cheering for them whenever they aren't playing the Boys in Blue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What the hell was going on here?

How is that a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thats from last year if I recall correctly.

Bizarre from start to finish, especially since, the players foot was in touch when he received the ball to touch it down!

Also can you take a lineout behind the deadball line?

TMO was on the beer evidently :P

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

good start from munster last night

I see on Twitter that the TMO in the Treviso/Ospreys game had a bit of a brain fart. It seems the AR called the refs attention to a jersey pull by Os 5, ref asked the sanction, AR indicated just a penalty, ref asked TMO, have you anything to add and he agreed even though footage showed no jersey pull.

Tight game and could have cost Ospreys their win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement