Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RaboPro12 13/14 season thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bit of a kick in the face try for Ospreys to concede tonight.

Edit:

Haha actually Glasgow conceded in equally kick in the face try too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Unbelievable hand off from isaacs, great work to straighten up too. That's the kinda stuff you want to see your centre do.

Big wins today from ulster and Leinster would see the top 3 being completely Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

.ak wrote: »
    Big wins today from ulster and Leinster would see the top 3 being completely Irish.

On the Rabo site, Glasgow have stayed ahead of Ulster, seems to be based on Glasgow having won one more game than Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

phog wrote: »
    On the Rabo site, Glasgow have stayed ahead of Ulster, seems to be based on Glasgow having won one more game than Ulster.

Aye:

"3.5. If two or more Teams finish with the same number of league points, their placings will be determined by the following criteria in descending order:

number of matches won;
    the difference between points for and points against;
    the number of tries scored;
    the most points scored;
    the difference between tries for and tries against;
    the fewest number of red cards received;
    the fewest number of yellow cards received."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Warburton apparently going to saints next season, Halfpenny to Toulon too

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s170.htm?221,14456942

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Delon hasn't extended his contract yet so Halfpenny going there is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The decimation of Welsh clubs is not good for the league.

It's going to be hard to be motivated about beating them if they have no internationals ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Warburton apparently going to saints next season, Halfpenny to Toulon too

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s170.htm?221,14456942

Someone there saying Copeland is off too. I'd guess its someone from Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Munster's next ten league matches are televised so we can't complain. It's Connacht that really get effed over.

We generally do pretty well, in the HEC too, with coverage. I'm not complaining about Munster not getting enough coverage, but that there should at least be televised highlights of all games - and I'm not talking about pixellated Youtube footage.

who_me wrote: »
    We generally do pretty well, in the HEC too, with coverage. I'm not complaining about Munster not getting enough coverage, but that there should at least be televised highlights of all games - and I'm not talking about pixellated Youtube footage.

I agree, I can't understand how RTE or TG4 can't be bothered doing delayed coverage or extended highlights of games that were broadcast live and also do a weekly roundup of of all League games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I agree, I can't understand how RTE or TG4 can't be bothered doing delayed coverage or extended highlights of games that were broadcast live and also do a weekly roundup of of all League games.

I'd be really hopeful of Sky doing something like that next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Maybe it's because Setanta have the rights to re-broadcast games during the week and a highlights package would undermine the value of that?

I dunno, I think we're too quick to stick the boot in on RTE and TG4 when a match isn't televised, usually it's the decision of the host broadcaster that's to blame.

Not enough interest?

Maybe it's because Setanta have the rights to re-broadcast games during the week and a highlights package would undermine the value of that?

I dunno, I think we're too quick to stick the boot in on RTE and TG4 when a match isn't televised, usually it's the decision of the host broadcaster that's to blame.

They could do still do one after the Setanta show or do an online version of it.

I'm not blaming RTE/TG4 for not broadcasting a game when a host broadcaster isn't available it I'm loosely blaming them for not using the footage used for the TMO to give a delayed broadcast or online extended highlights package.
    Not enough interest?

Before a recent Leinster game RTE broadcast highlights of Zebre v Munster, iirc, they had two commentators working on it. Perhaps that could be done for similar games that haven't been broadcast live but with more time given to game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be really hopeful of Sky doing something like that next season.

Don't think they're planning to, didn't they just buy a very small selection of the rights? Or was a highlights package included?

Don't think they're planning to, didn't they just buy a very small selection of the rights? Or was a highlights package included?

Not sure of the ins and outs of the deal (not that again) so maybe not. The Pro12 does need something like that though and in some ways I'd like Sky to do it. Nobody else does hype like them...

Not enough interest?

Maybe. But at some point you have to create interest.

Watching RTE sometimes you get the feeling they're only reluctantly covering sports because there's a handful of taxpayers out there who are demanding it's shown. Compare with Sky who are endlessly promoting their coverage, hyping it up, trying to freshen it up and seem exciting.

I'm starting to despise the RTE coverage. Whining about the weather. Whining about the pitch. Whining about the quality of the rugby. Whining about the fans arriving too late - and when they do whining there's not enough of them. It's f-ing Recession Rugby. I watch rugby just to get away from that kind of negativity for 80 minutes.

Maybe I'm being unfair, maybe TG4 are as bad, but I just don't understand them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sky ?
    As Public Enemy (how apt) wrote 'don't believe the hype'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sky will be showing 30 games a season from next season. All the press releases I read about it mentioned the games would be on a Saturday too.

http://www.joe.ie/rugby/rabodirect-pro-12/sky-snap-up-the-rights-to-rabodirect-pro12/

None mentioned a highlights program. I do remember when I did have Sky a couple years back and they'd a highlights program of the Super 12. It wasn't a great show though, it was just the tries and no build up play and there was no analysis. I stopped watching it after awhile to be honest.

• Advertisement

Regan King has signed a two-year deal with Llanelli Scarlets. He's a quality player but he's also 33.

Did King play much for Clermont? I didn't think he was first choice anyway so while he's 33 he mightn't have that much recent gametime.

Is Davies leaving then?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did King play much for Clermont? I didn't think he was first choice anyway so while he's 33 he mightn't have that much recent gametime.

Is Davies leaving then?

Yep, to Clermont, so King's days were numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yep, to Clermont, so King's days were numbered.

Fofana and Davies is a tasty 12-13 partnership

Hibbard and Priestland rumored to be leaving Wales with Priestland to Wasps from Simon Thomas on Twitter.

Ah ffs this is just getting ridiculous now.

What's the story here, why can't the WRU fund their regions like the IRFU do? Surely they'd have the same sort of business model where most of the money comes from the 6N?

What's the story here, why can't the WRU fund their regions like the IRFU do? Surely they'd have the same sort of business model where most of the money comes from the 6N?

And the extra AI games that they enjoy so much....this is ruining our league and I'm really not at all happy about it. :mad:

Ah ffs this is just getting ridiculous now.

You can add Matthew Morgan into the frame as well. Leicester and Northampton at him according to Wales Online

Private owners. The WRU messed up at the beginning of the professional era by not seizing control. To be fair to those owners, the WRU seem to be useless. They are offering very little money for the amount the union is earning.

It begs the question how you can have four Autumn internationals and 2/3 home 6N games a year including prize money and TV money, yet only give £1.5m to each region when compared to Ireland who can fully fund 4 provinces off their own back including central contracts with one less Autumn international.

• Advertisement

The Welsh Union's aim is to pay off the Millennium Stadium so that's where alot of the money is going.

The salary cap isn't that big either. It's £3.5m for the Senior Squad which is about 35 players so I can't see any of the Welsh Internationals on big money.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Andrew-Hore-Welsh-rugby-8217-s-salary-cap-rise/story-19599331-detail/story.html#axzz2mbhzD2tZ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This maniacal focus on paying off the MS is incredibly short-sighted and just a bit dim.
    Hibbard and Priestland rumored to be leaving Wales with Priestland to Wasps from Simon Thomas on Twitter.

If Wales can't keep a player of the calibre of Priestland they are in serious trouble.

its_phil wrote: »
    Private owners. The WRU messed up at the beginning of the professional era by not seizing control. To be fair to those owners, the WRU seem to be useless. They are offering very little money for the amount the union is earning.

It begs the question how you can have four Autumn internationals and 2/3 home 6N games a year including prize money and TV money, yet only give £1.5m to each region when compared to Ireland who can fully fund 4 provinces off their own back including central contracts with one less Autumn international.

The unions hadn't a clue how to manage pro contracts back when the game went professional, luckily for us the IRFU took control of the players here and then the H/cup kicked off and that allowed the provinces to form "clubs" to compete, then the advent of the Celtic League created enough games to spread over a season.

Wales and Scotland probably suffered because they then had to try and regionalise their clubs and some fans never just bought into it the regions.

I wouldn't lay all the blame on the Welsh RU.

its_phil wrote: »

Well, the IRFU also probably gets more income from the provinces than the WRU does from the regions - if anything. It keeps all the prize money & half the province's share of the gate. If 3 provinces make the QFs, the IRFU make €1.2m in prize money alone, with significant gate receipts on top of that. If one or more provinces make it to the semis or final it's a bumper season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

All the Welsh players and the likes of Afoa and Court leaving for AP and Top14 certainly won't help the Pro12.

While it does give younger players a chance at succession the big names missing from the big matches will hit the most important revenue streams like attendances, sponsorship and TV.

Pro12 is still in its infancy with regard to TV, it's more about exposure and growth at the moment but I'm sure they will be looking to increase the TV revenues.

Are Investec taking the RABO sponsorship deal or a drinks company or what? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This has been a real Rabo Black week. Whatever about the Welsh Regions joining the AP the Welsh players are flooding into it.

The only thing I can say is that Scottish teams have seemed to get most of their internationals back playing in Scotland after a pretty bleak period about 8 years ago when they were all over the place.

Treviso coach Franco Smith will leave the club after their games v Ulster after agreeing to exit by mutual consent

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Treviso coach Franco Smith will leave the club after their games v Ulster after agreeing to exit by mutual consent

Now that would be a pretty good job for EOS to go for. Treviso have massive potential IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, I don't know if this has been covered or is another thread, but what will happen if the Welsh clubs in the Pro 12 go to an English league? What will he Irish clubs do, can anyone see them having to join a Welsh English league in the long run?

Should this be a topic in itself or is it in the English clubs out of the H Cup?

Just looked at the table there, noticed something interesting.

Last year Glasgow were top tryscorers with 66, getting 9 bonus points (Ulster and Leinster weren't too far behind). But this year, they've only scored 14, which is less than Zebre and have failed to get even 1 TBP (Ospreys have scored 23 in comparison). They're still winning most matches, but not getting BPs can be costly... I mean they've won more games than Leinster but are 2 points behind.

It's not like they don't have the attacking backs needed.

After watching them last night I'd be amazed if they get a TBP all season. They had so many bad passes it really was amazing.

I don't think Matawalu is scrum half that helps a backline either. His passing isn't great and he tends to run three or more steps before passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

After watching them last night I'd be amazed if they get a TBP all season. They had so many bad passes it really was amazing.

I don't think Matawalu is scrum half that helps a backline either. His passing isn't great and he tends to run three or more steps before passing.

Matawalu was on the wing when they were scoring freely. I think they'd be more dangerous with him in the back 3, but they do have a good back 3 at the moment.

Yeah... he can beat players and has a certain amount of creativity, but he doesn't really like a SH in general. If you watch him play at 9 on a good day, then you'd think you'd be mad saying that but he is very very brainless.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Matawalu is like Paul Marshall in that he is subject to making mind boggling stupid decisions. He has pace which is ultimately what gets him in the side.

One that sticks in memory is the Glasgow v Munster game earlier this year. Last phase of the game, a try would win it for Glasgow and they are right under Munster's posts. Matawalu, the smallest and probably the lightest man on the pitch takes a quick tap and just runs into a group of Munster forwards and so ends the game. A more intelligent player would have taken the tap and passed to a forward for some crash ball and the possibility of recycling for some more phases.

Brainless and frustrating.

• Advertisement

Hibbard to Gloucester confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Unfortunately the Pro12 looks like it might well be a joke league from next season. The Welsh teams will be non entities at this rate. Glasgow have gone backwards.

Will the league be sustainable?

At this stage I'd love to see a B&I league; England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland.

The Italians could go into the Top14.

It'd slightly take the gloss off the European competition though.

Buer wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Pro12 looks like it might well be a joke league from next season. The Welsh teams will be non entities at this rate. Glasgow have gone backwards.

Will the league be sustainable?

Ospreys have been consistently at the top of the league or thereabouts, if they fall away then the league will be a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Hibbard to Gloucester confirmed.

Exactly what they need, their front five is a joke. Nabbing Afoa (has that been announced?) would be another huge coup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement