Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RaboPro12 13/14 season thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

phog wrote: »
    Glasgow are 10 points behind us, if they manage to get BP wins in their two rescheduled games that would tie us on top of the league.

They'll have to shoehorn those fixtures in though so I'd not be expecting bp wins from them.
    I remember Leinster playing Connacht on a thursday , two days before a match in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Glasgow are 10 points behind us, if they manage to get BP wins in their two rescheduled games that would tie us on top of the league.

I noticed that alright. They haven't been scoring many, but the two games in hand are definitely ones where they could get the BP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

durkadurka wrote: »
    They'll have to shoehorn those fixtures in though so I'd not be expecting bp wins from them.
    I remember Leinster playing Connacht on a thursday , two days before a match in Scotland.

I suppose it depends on when they're rescheduled for but the other top of pool teams can't take anything for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I suppose it depends on when they're rescheduled for but the other top of pool teams can't take anything for granted.

They also have to come to the RDS though. It's still basically a five horse race as it has been all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well done Zebre, delighted on the result - first home win! Over 5,000 at the game too. You could see how much it meant to the players and fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Winters wrote: »
    Over 5,000 at the game too.

I'd imagine a lot of those are Beneton Treviso fans happy to be able to go to an away game.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heineken Cup will play a part too - depends on how far the provinces get. Get knocked out and obviously the Rabo becomes first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Lee Byrne and Aled Brew heading to the Dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They are two good moves. Byrne turns 34 in June but if he can stay fit then he'll be a great experienced hand to have in a young backline. Brew was really good for Dragons before he left for Biarritz.

I just saw that Edinburgh have signed Richardt's brother Andries who played centre for the Kings in S15.

Is Solomons going to make the same mistake Bradley did before he left: signing too many foreign players that offer very little. It's a bit mad that the union are sanctioning all these signings, what about developing Scottish players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thank fcuk. One of the regions actually signing good players.

Patchell out for four months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Patchell out for four months.

That's a shame, really good OH with bags of talent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Edinburgh are moving to Boroughmuir RFC's ground Meggetland (roughly translated as land of the Megget) for their next few home games.

It's only got a capacity of 3 or 3.5K though but interestingly enough they looked at moving to their before. Though this season their average home Rabo attendance is about 3.25K.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/edinburgh-ponder-ground-switch-to-meggetland-1-1350995

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Edinburgh are moving to Boroughmuir RFC's ground Meggetland (roughly translated as land of the Megget) for their next few home games.

It's only got a capacity of 3 or 3.5K though but interestingly enough they looked at moving to their before. Though this season their average home Rabo attendance is about 3.25K.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/edinburgh-ponder-ground-switch-to-meggetland-1-1350995

So they might manage to fill a stadium yet. Well holy God.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's to be a pitch inspection at Rodney Parade tomorrow morning ahead of the game against Edinburgh on Sunday.

That doesn't sound too promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Munster 12 43
    Leinster 12 40
    Ospreys 12 39
    Ulster 12 37
    Glasgow 10 33

Ulster v Ospreys tonight is a huge game in the grand scheme of things, especially for Ulster when consider the last three games are against Glasgow, Leinster and Munster. Absolute 100% must win game for Ulster.

That BP win for Leinster today keeps them snapping at our heels. We should be ok next week against Zebre but we cant afford a slip up away to either of Scarlets or Ospreys and both could be looking at us for points.

BgEA3bjIgAIuw9s.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is very rare (and good to see) that the positive points difference of the top team, is a smaller number than the negative points difference of the bottom one.

With Glasgow's two games in hand are at home to Treviso and Edinburgh, it's pretty safe to say they will win both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

RTE rugby just tweeted: ''Treviso have announced their intention to leave the PRO12 at the end of the current season due to uncertainty over the competition's future.''

What do people make of that?

Eod100 wrote: »
    RTE rugby just tweeted: ''Treviso have announced their intention to leave the PRO12 at the end of the current season due to uncertainty over the competition's future.''

What do people make of that?

I think it has been in the cards for a while and we may see Zebre go too. Not a huge loss but a loss all the same.

Their leaving might have a more negative impact on their national team than on the Rabo.

I think it has been in the cards for a while and we may see Zebre go too. Not a huge loss but a loss all the same.

Their leaving might have a more negative impact on their national team than on the Rabo.

Guess it depends on what's happening with the Welsh teams..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Disaster for the league, to be honest. It's going backwards as a tournament.

Where will they go?

awec wrote: »
    Where will they go?

Back to their national league, one would assume. There must be more to it, however. I wonder how their finances are.

I can't see the league lasting too much longer at this rate. Welsh sides are completely disinterested and Italian sides are leaving. Throw in the departure of the sponsor and the outlook is very bleak.

Nightmare

Isn't this just going to undo a lot of the work of the Italian Union?

Would the removal of the Italian teams from the Rabo see the ultimate removal of Italy from the 6 nations in 5 or 6 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Their loss.The French or English won't be as kind to them as we have,and if they're going to play in a level as low as the Italian domestic league,they may as well not play club games at all.

• Advertisement

I don't agree, it's a significant loss. They paid big money to enter the league and that's gone now. It's another nail in the coffin. The Welsh regions don't want in and even if they are in next year they have few star names that will attract fans (Hibbard, Evans, Lydiate, Phillips, Hook, North, Roberts and Halfpenny all abroad).

Eventually this will hurt Ireland. Ulster, Munster and Leinster are sleepwalking to the playoffs again and on paper it's going to be even easier next year. I know the Rabo will never be the Top14 but look at how competitive that league is.

I'm getting very worried.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Their loss.The French or English won't be as kind to them as we have,and if they're going to play in a level as low as the Italian domestic league,they may as well not play club games at all.

It's a loss to everyone. The league going back to 10 sides, potentially and only 18 games makes it a joke league. Glasgow have gone backwards and Welsh sides are collapsing. The league needs every competitor it can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

awec wrote: »
    Isn't this just going to undo a lot of the work of the Italian Union?

Would the removal of the Italian teams from the Rabo see the ultimate removal of Italy from the 6 nations in 5 or 6 years time?

We will probably see the Italian club teams standards weaken with more of their professional standard players going to France. But to be honest I don't know if their international team will get any worse because of this!!! but I can't see them getting any better from this.

I strongly suspect they are doing this to try and force some sort of decision on the future of the Pro12, it's crazy that we have so much uncertainty surrounding the league.

Buer wrote: »
    It's a loss to everyone. The league going back to 10 sides, potentially and only 18 games makes it a joke league. Glasgow have gone backwards and Welsh sides are collapsing. The league needs every competitor it can get.

And that (league going back to 10 teams) might be one of the best case scenarios at this rate with Welsh teams saying they may opt out too. This along with uncertainty about H Cup doesn't look good for Irish rugby at all.

Phonehead wrote: »
    We will probably see the Italian club teams standards weaken with more of their professional standard players going to France. But to be honest I don't know if their international team will get any worse because of this!!! but I can't see them getting any better from this.

I strongly suspect they are doing this to try and force some sort of decision on the future of the Pro12, it's crazy that we have so much uncertainty surrounding the league.

But how will they create professional standard players if the Italian clubs are playing in the national league?

Italy need strong clubs playing at a decent level to develop their own players. They won't be able to rely on French teams doing it for them.

They may be ok for now, as it will take a few years for this to have an effect, but the younger players coming through at Treviso / Zebre (who I suspect will follow suit) - they aren't all going to be good enough to move to France at that age and will spend their time playing national league rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think the Italian international team can only get better as a result. I remember reading that they were pouring a ton of money into those two teams whilst getting next to no return in terms of improved performance. Their lesser club teams will be getting more money with this withdrawal

• Advertisement

The Italian squad, according to Wikipedia, is made up of 24 players from Treviso and Zebre. They will be getting far better competition in the Rabo then they will in the Italian league, even if they do make it a Super 6 or 8 league.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

you do wonder what sky make of it all.Having lost the english rights they are desperate to show something to fill the gaps for their huge rugby team of presenters/pundits-even resorting to showing D2 english rugby but they not going to end up with much of a product-the welsh teams are going to be even weaker next season,if they in it at all.you have a situation where only the irish teams will have squads worthy of a top league-and even they at times will not put out all their star names. Its not the most attractive league to take on and easiest to promote is it?

It isn't a good sign if the Italians believe that the cost of entering the Rabo outweighs the benefit.

Next season looks a farce and it's spoiling this season. The only positive is that Ireland are actually going well. Really concerned now for next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It isn't a good sign if the Italians believe that the cost of entering the Rabo outweighs the benefit.

I think they're (rightly) concerned about being in a Rabo with just Irish and Scottish teams. I can't believe that they haven't noticed the general improvement in skill levels of Italian players since joining the Rabo but they have to be practical. It costs them a lot to play in it (which is the first thing that should go - they shouldn't be charged such ridiculous amounts when no one else is).

• Advertisement

Three points.

1: does this make us more attractive to sky for TV rights because we're all British.
    2: does this mean we get more hcup places if a tournament happens next year.
    3: does this mean treviso are selling campagnaro, if so, how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

errlloyd wrote: »
    Three points.

1: does this make us more attractive to sky for TV rights because we're all British.
    2: does this mean we get more hcup places if a tournament happens next year.
    3: does this mean treviso are selling campagnaro, if so, how much?

Number 1 What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Cazzo. Disastro.

OldRio wrote: »
    Number 1 What?

I meant British Isles. You get what I mean. If they bid for the rights before they would have been paying for a heap of games worth hardly any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Pro12 is turning into a dead league walking. More like a No12.

Crap. It's going to be nigh on impossible to get a sponsor now, if the Italians leave and the Welsh want out. Looking on the bright side.... the interpros next year are going to be EPIC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'd like to see us join the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

I meant British Isles. You get what I mean. If they bid for the rights before they would have been paying for a heap of games worth hardly any money.

British Isles what??? Do the channel islands have a team? Or the isle if man? If you are talking about UK and Ireland, then say UK and Ireland. Or GB and Ireland. Or British and Irish.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I'd imagine that a B+I league would be pretty attractive to sponsors.

Sky Italia is a big chunk of their corporation.

who_me wrote: »
    the interpros next year are going to be EPIC.

Yeah, all 72 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bardcom wrote: »
    British Isles what??? Do the channel islands have a team? Or the isle if man? If you are talking about UK and Ireland, then say UK and Ireland. Or GB and Ireland. Or British and Irish.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I'd imagine that a B+I league would be pretty attractive to sponsors.

Jersey.....
    Geography not one of your strengths perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement