Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash [** Spoilers ** ==> US pace]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yes he is the Golden Age Flash. Which basically means he was the original Flash before reboots etc but due to the Multiverse he is still apart of the current DCU on a alternative Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mark Hamill
    will return in season 2.

Spoiler link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Reverse Flash, yep.

Great season opener! I'm interested to see how they'll bring Wells back into the fold.

Also, nice reveal at the end. I completely forgot about Jay Garrick being cast for this season.

Wells will be a wanted man surely after thawnes video confession.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Wells will be a wanted man surely after thawnes video confession.

That'll be impossible, seeing as Thawne was Wells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That'll be impossible, seeing as Thawne was Wells.

What? No, Thawne killed Wells and assumed his form. At the end of S1, when Eddie killed himself, he erased Thawne from existence, meaning Thawne could never go back in time and kill/become Wells. So the real Wells is alive and innocent (though will be assumed guilty due to Thawne's confession). Tom Cavanagh is still billed as a series regular so we can assume he will be back as (the real) Wells. But in what capacity, is the question. I.e. will he be on the run from the law with no idea why? Or will that be glossed over/retconned to give him a better part for the season? Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But if he was wiped from existence how did he record the video or kill Barry's mother, etc. It's a major paradox that they may explain sometime. Maybe it's why Jay is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Multiverse which basically means Multiple versions of Earth. The worm hole at the end of last season was the gate way to these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Multiverse which basically means Multiple versions of Earth. The worm hole at the end of last season was the gate way to these.
    i actually expected barry to be in one of those multiverse at the start of the season,

it is gonna be strange to see if the real harrison wells is about the place, i doubt it though seeing as barry got star labs cause he died, and had a living will,

i thought it was a little ridiculous that his father left so soon, im pretty suspect that hes up to or involved in something, something that got barrys mother killed, i dont think its as straight forward as eobard wanting to kill barrys mother, he must have specifically went back to that exact moment for a reason, cause why kill his mother,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

don ramo wrote: »
    i actually expected barry to be in one of those multiverse at the start of the season,

it is gonna be strange to see if the real harrison wells is about the place, i doubt it though seeing as barry got star labs cause he died, and had a living will,

i thought it was a little ridiculous that his father left so soon, im pretty suspect that hes up to or involved in something, something that got barrys mother killed, i dont think its as straight forward as eobard wanting to kill barrys mother, he must have specifically went back to that exact moment for a reason, cause why kill his mother,

Pure speculation, but i'd imagine it'll be something along the lines of Thawne went back to kill Barrys mother to stop Barry being born because he knew, somehow, that Barry would be the cause of him dieing... Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But if he was wiped from existence how did he record the video or kill Barry's mother, etc. It's a major paradox that they may explain sometime. Maybe it's why Jay is there.

Yep, silly time paradox to leave unmentioned but I reckon they're probably banking on 90% of people not noticing and/or caring. I find it pretty unsatisfactory tbh. But as someone else said, maybe the existence of the multiverse will explain it away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Pure speculation, but i'd imagine it'll be something along the lines of Thawne went back to kill Barrys mother to stop Barry being born because he knew, somehow, that Barry would be the cause of him dieing... Or something.

But Barry had already been born at that time, he was about nine.

But Barry had already been born at that time, he was about nine.

Possibly Thawne didn't find out until then, or it took him 9+ years to make a time travelling device? I dunno. I couldn't tell where any of the stories from last season were going, and i know it's going to be the same this season. That's why this is one of the best shows on tv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because what has happened has already happened. If ReverseFlash was wiped from existence, he never went back to kill Barry's mother. However, if he never did that, then Flash was never created. If Flash was never created, then the events which led to ReverseFlash being wiped from existence never happened. And if the events which led to ReverseFlash never being wiped from existence happened, then he in fact did go back in time and kill Barry's mother.

It's a loop of cause and effect. Each part of it had to happen for it all to happen. Reverse Flash had to exist in order for himself to be wiped from existence.

It's a paradox alright, but fairly common in stories involving time travel. I don't think it necessarily needs to be explained, but it would be nice to see some ramifications from it alright. Like incorporate the multiverse as a way of explaining it.

Possibly Thawne didn't find out until then, or it took him 9+ years to make a time travelling device? I dunno. I couldn't tell where any of the stories from last season were going, and i know it's going to be the same this season. That's why this is one of the best shows on tv!

Thawne travelled back in time to when Barry was 9 (or maybe 8, can't remember exactly), specifically to kill Barry's mother to intentionally change Barry's path in becoming the Flash. He needed him to become the Flash but he wanted to control his path, that's why he didn't kill him when Thawne became Wells after being stranded in that time period. He could have killed Barry at any time from that point on if he wanted, he didn't need to prevent his birth or anything. Thawne/Wells/Reverse-Flash never wanted to kill Barry.

Edit: that's my understanding of it so far anyway. Future episodes are likely to explain further actions and expand on exactly why it all happened, why Thawne hated the Flash so much, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Thawne travelled back in time to when Barry was 9 (or maybe 8, can't remember exactly), specifically to kill Barry's mother to intentionally change Barry's path in becoming the Flash. He needed him to become the Flash but he wanted to control his path, that's why he didn't kill him when Thawne became Wells after being stranded in that time period. He could have killed Barry at any time from that point on if he wanted, he didn't need to prevent his birth or anything. Thawne/Wells/Reverse-Flash never wanted to kill Barry.

Edit: that's my understanding of it so far anyway. Future episodes are likely to explain further actions and expand on exactly why it all happened, why Thawne hated the Flash so much, etc.

I believe Thawne went back to kill Barry but once the flash stopped him he settled for killing his mother instead. Once he figured out he was stuck in that time period due to not having enough speed force, he then needed Barry to become the flash so he could use him to get back to his own time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe Thawne went back to kill Barry but once the flash stopped him he settled for killing his mother instead. Once he figured out he was stuck in that time period due to not having enough speed force, he then needed Barry to become the flash so he could use him to get back to his own time.

Actually that sounds about right, a much simpler explanation! :)

Damn time travel, messing with my head!

You're right. Am I missing something or isn't that exactly what he told Barry?

Think the only film/show that did Time Travel in a way with almost no paradoxes that I noticed is the Back to the Future movies. Though there was one annoying part in the second one that didn't make sense.

Think the only film/show that did Time Travel in a way with almost no paradoxes that I noticed is the Back to the Future movies. Though there was one annoying part in the second one that didn't make sense.

Biff was able to change the future and return (exactly what Doc and Marty could not do)??

• Advertisement

That's the one

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Continuum did a pretty good job too and 12 Monkeys is doing it well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Earth 2, Patty, Jay, Zoom, Not sure ex wife is a good idea though.

A good episode a bit forced in parts but laying great ground work for the season to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'm really enjoying the flash. I tried watching arrow but couldn't get into it. is it worth giving it a second go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

crazyderk wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the flash. I tried watching arrow but couldn't get into it. is it worth giving it a second go?
    It's probably just taste, I actually prefer Arrow but still really like both.
    How far did you get before you gave up on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Arrow did interest me on Season 2 but the one after that did not meet my expectations. Flash on the other hand has a lighter mood and humor which makes it fun to watch. Maybe because Flash has a faster pace in its story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I was maybe 1/3 to halfway through the first season I think. John Barrowman had made a few appearances that all i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

5star02707 wrote: »
    . Maybe because Flash has a faster pace in its story.

I see what you did there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Earth 2, Patty, Jay, Zoom, Not sure ex wife is a good idea though.

A good episode a bit forced in parts but laying great ground work for the season to come.

Good synopsis here - ex wife was a bit wedged in

The forced parts - especially when
    the cop calls for flash and the two boys stride up saying 'Coming' at the same time
    - that was 100% cringe

Other than that, really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

D'Agger wrote: »
    The forced parts - especially when
    the cop calls for flash and the two boys stride up saying 'Coming' at the same time
    - that was 100% cringe.

That was a tie into a comic of the same name. Fan service for the comic readers.

flash-and-flash-poster-season2.png

Loved the episode and loved the ending. So happy this show is back and hitting the ground running. Sorry. :)

Advertisement