Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash [** Spoilers ** ==> US pace]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great episode. Not nearly a patch on last season's finale, but still a great episode.

If they're doing Flashpoint, and Barry returns to the present where everything's changed due to saving his mother, what does that mean for Arrow? Legends of Tomorrow could cope with it easy enough due to the nature of the show, and Supergirl could use it as a way of explaining how they can now crossover with the other CW shows, but if we're going to have an alternate present due to Barry saving his mother, surely those changes will have to be reflected in Arrow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Really enjoyed that but I'm going to need somebody to tell me what in the fúck this means for the past, present and future....did not see that coming, well played but my mind is in tatters now!! :D

Also worth noting the CGI used, thought it was brilliant, glad to see it wasn't all blown on King Shark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

D'Agger wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that but I'm going to need somebody to tell me what in the fúck this means for the past, present and future....did not see that coming, well played but my mind is in tatters now!! :D

Also worth noting the CGI used, thought it was brilliant, glad to see it wasn't all blown on King Shark :)

I assume it's the ending you want explained??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I assume it's the ending you want explained??
    Yup, took everything else in my stride but that stopped me dead in my tracks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

D'Agger wrote: »
    Yup, took everything else in my stride but that stopped me dead in my tracks :D

Right, well I'll certainly try my best and explain, the show judging from the last few minutes are going to tackle
    Flashpoint
    , arguably the biggest of Flash comic story.. So in the comic, when Barry went back
    and stopped the Reverse Flash, he saved his mother
    , but in doing so, drastically altered the world..That's the short version and best explanation I can give, as
    Flashpoint
    is the only Flash comic I had..

If that doesn't help, i'm sure someone more knowledgeable can fill in the gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Excellent episode. I was wary as to how it was all going to end, but it was done brilliantly. Everything came together nicely, but also believably. Did not see that ending coming. Next season will be very interesting, as people above have said with the 4 shows crossing, and the implications that this ending had with Arrow.

Also, I know the ending is pointing blatantly towards this Flashpoint story arc, but please keep spoilering anything to do with Flashpoint (like Lithium93 above). I want to watch it unfold in this tv show.

Maybe it's time for a forum for the DC Extended Universe, put in all the tv show forums into it, and leave it open for people to create threads on topics like FlashTV-Comic discussion, or something...

Excellent episode. I was wary as to how it was all going to end, but it was done brilliantly. Everything came together nicely, but also believably. Did not see that ending coming. Next season will be very interesting, as people above have said with the 4 shows crossing, and the implications that this ending had with Arrow.

Also, I know the ending is pointing blatantly towards this Flashpoint story arc, but please keep spoilering anything to do with Flashpoint (like Lithium93 above). I want to watch it unfold in this tv show.

Maybe it's time for a forum for the DC Extended Universe, put in all the tv show forums into it, and leave it open for people to create threads on topics like FlashTV-Comic discussion, or something...

There's a thread for comic readers to discuss the TV series in the Superheroes forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I wonder how all the shows will change. Will be a way of saying supergirl is now in earth 1. The 4 show crossover will be the fixing of it

I wonder how all the shows will change. Will be a way of saying supergirl is now in earth 1. The 4 show crossover will be the fixing of it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I suspect the crossovers next season will consist of episodes with the new timeline version of characters from the other shows, but the other shows own seasons will carry on with their own original timeline, if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    I suspect the crossovers next season will consist of episodes with the new timeline version of characters from the other shows, but the other shows own seasons will carry on with their own original timeline, if that makes sense?

Perhaps but that still causes issues for Arrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭squonk

As a Star Trek fan primarily I seriously wanted to bitch slap Barry when I saw what he did! It was incredibly stupid! What was the significance of seeing the other Flash disappear when he saved his mother? I'm guessing that was the 'old' barry from the other timeline leaving. Technically though, Barry probably shouldn't be The Flash either. Either way, it's all going to be ****ed up now. Completely different Flash-verse, Legends of Tomorrow... who knows, and Arrow, we're probably getting Laurel back and Darkh is still on a rampage or something. As for Supergirl, I gave the show a second chance and I'm half way through that season now. It's OK though I'm expecting a reboot of sorts anyway when it moves to CW.

squonk wrote: »
    What was the significance of seeing the other Flash disappear when he saved his mother? I'm guessing that was the 'old' barry from the other timeline leaving. Technically though, Barry probably shouldn't be The Flash either.

I'm guessing *deep breath in* because S2 Barry went back and stopped Reverse Flash, Reverse Flash never helped S1 Barry go back in time to save his mother which is why S1 Barry then disappeared. When S2 Barry returns to the present he'll discover how everything has changed but will still have his powers even though he shouldn't have gained them by that point because the real Harrison Wells wasn't supposed to have accidentally caused the Particle Accelerator explosion which gave Barry his powers until a few years later (as when Reverse Flash Harrison Wells did it, he caused it earlier in Barry's life than what was originally supposed to have happened in order to try and get home earlier). This also means that on the night Barry's mother was originally supposed to have died there were 4 versions of Barry there; young Barry, Future Barry (who came back fighting Reverse Flash and signalled to S1 Barry not to save his mother), S1 Barry (who was going to save his mother but didn't) and S2 Barry (who came in after Future Barry got young Barry out but before Reverse Flash could kill his mother and saved her).

tumblr_nump96700b1ugtjpno1_400.gif

It'll end up with Barry becoming the flash who stops himself from saving her no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was 4 versions of Barry in that room right?

-Season 1 Barry who traveled back in time in the closet
    -Season 2 Barry who saved his mother
    -Future Barry who gestured "stop don't save her" to S1 Barry, one who took kid Barry
    -Kid Barry

It'll end up with Barry becoming the flash who stops himself from saving her no?

I thought that at first but that version of The Flash stopped Season 1 Barry from saving her and then got child Barry out of the house, while Season 1 Barry closed the door and let Reverse Flash kill her. But now, Season 2 Barry comes in after that and stops Reverse Flash.

He'll still at some point stop Season 1 version from saving her, but we don't know what will happen to reverse the effect of Season 2 version saving her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Penn wrote: »
    I'm guessing *deep breath in* because S2 Barry went back and stopped Reverse Flash, Reverse Flash never helped S1 Barry go back in time to save his mother which is why S1 Barry then disappeared. When S2 Barry returns to the present he'll discover how everything has changed but will still have his powers even though he shouldn't have gained them by that point because the real Harrison Wells wasn't supposed to have accidentally caused the Particle Accelerator explosion which gave Barry his powers until a few years later (as when Reverse Flash Harrison Wells did it, he caused it earlier in Barry's life than what was originally supposed to have happened in order to try and get home earlier). This also means that on the night Barry's mother was originally supposed to have died there were 4 versions of Barry there; young Barry, Future Barry (who came back fighting Reverse Flash and signalled to S1 Barry not to save his mother), S1 Barry (who was going to save his mother but didn't) and S2 Barry (who came in after Future Barry got young Barry out but before Reverse Flash could kill his mother and saved her).

Oh man, I think I need to pour gear oil in my ear or something. :o
    Fair play for being able to juggle them all Penn. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

If Barry still has his powers when he returns to the present I'm ok with that. The time travel sh1t doesn't really bother me, but I've had my fill of watching Barry depowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    If Barry still has his powers when he returns to the present I'm ok with that. The time travel sh1t doesn't really bother me, but I've had my fill of watching Barry depowered.

Judging on past experience if he does lose his powers then it will only be for one episode max. I like time travel in shows only if the past can't be changed- then you always have the glorious moment of the hero losing for once:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Might shed some light on the current situation
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Farty88 wrote: »
    Might shed some light on the current situation
    :)

There's a good bit from the comics in that, and I turned it off just in time before the Flashpoint was explained... Non-comic readers beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,219 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I find it odd that I see Grant Gustin and Barry Allen as basically the same person, in such a way that Grant Gustin displaying displeasure at Barry's actions weird. I'm like: "WTF Grant, if you didn't like it why did you do it!". I would have also thought, however, if Grant thinks the actions are stupid, it should have had an impact on the storyline in the first place - in that the actors should be able to believe in the actions of their character (within the scope of the character)

I find it odd that I see Grant Gustin and Barry Allen as basically the same person, in such a way that Grant Gustin displaying displeasure at Barry's actions weird. I'm like: "WTF Grant, if you didn't like it why did you do it!". I would have also thought, however, if Grant thinks the actions are stupid, it should have had an impact on the storyline in the first place - in that the actors should be able to believe in the actions of their character (within the scope of the character)

That'd be asking for a whole new world in terms of the actor's job.

It's a rare occurrence where an actor can dictate what his character does and does not do. It's crap that Grant is struggling to buy into the motives but it is what it is, he has to do what's asked of him.

Basically Flash has become Zoom. Changing the past to suit his own needs, regardless of how it will affect others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

That'd be asking for a whole new world in terms of the actor's job.

It's a rare occurrence where an actor can dictate what his character does and does not do. It's crap that Grant is struggling to buy into the motives but it is what it is, he has to do what's asked of him.

I may be wrong but I think what Mitch means is that, in inhabiting the role of Barry Allen, Gustin is probably the closest person to the character working on the show (or at least probably feels that way). As such, you would expect everything Barry says and does to feel natural to Gustin while in the part. If it feels unnatural to him, it could be argued that it should also feel unnatural (read: out of character) for Barry. It's an interesting theory and one that people often assume to be te truth. Tbh, I totally get it while not fully agreeing with it. In this instance, I can get behind Barry's motivations, whether or not the cast can. It's their job to sell te part, whether they agree with it or not. People do that all the time and it's a responsibility they have to bear if they wanna be actors. I think this could set an interesting premise for S3, though I don't want to see a clean reboot. Wouldn't mind seeing Eddie back though!

A hard reboot would be out of the question though I'm sure they'll use this opportunity to undo some unpopular decisions made across Arrow, Flash and Legends.
    Basically Flash has become Zoom. Changing the past to suit his own needs, regardless of how it will affect others

I'm not sure if I can dig that comparison man. Zoom was more straightforward, as I don't think he tried to change his own past. He just ploughed down the path he already chose as a mere human. Zoom wasn't just selfish, he was a pure psychopath out to intentionally reign misery on the world.

Whereas while Barry did something stupid, and may even be in a blissful state of denial for a period, he'll eventually come round once he realises the consequences of his actions

I think people are over analysing what Barry has done. First of all this is the closest any of the shows have been this close to the comics. What people are also not realising is Barry is not rational right now. He is insane with grief and all he can think about is how he can get it away. He knows it will change things however he does not care as he will have his mam and dad. He does not think of the negative impact cause how could there be he will have his parents back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think people are over analysing what Barry has done. First of all this is the closest any of the shows have been this close to the comics. What people are also not realising is Barry is not rational right now. He is insane with grief and all he can think about is how he can get it away. He knows it will change things however he does not care as he will have his mam and dad. He does not think of the negative impact cause how could there be he will have his parents back

I don't think people aren't realising it, I think it was poorly portrayed. He had what seemed to be a fairly rational conversation with Iris. He just didn't come across as 'insane' to me and it didn't seem impulsive either the way he said 'Sorry' as she walked away. Don't get me wrong, I know it'll turn out good but I don't think the show did enough to justify his decision.

A hard reboot would be out of the question though I'm sure they'll use this opportunity to undo some unpopular decisions made across Arrow, Flash and Legends.

I'm not sure if I can dig that comparison man. Zoom was more straightforward, as I don't think he tried to change his own past. He just ploughed down the path he already chose as a mere human. Zoom wasn't just selfish, he was a pure psychopath out to intentionally reign misery on the world.

Whereas while Barry did something stupid, and may even be in a blissful state of denial for a period, he'll eventually come round once he realises the consequences of his actions

Regardless of that at the moment he cares nothing for the damage he will cause. That's not just selfish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I feel like Barry's decision to rewrite his past essentially undoes the character development he had from S1 where he accepted his mother's fate. I'd agree with other posters that the show didn't sell me on his decision as one being born from grief. If he had reacted in the immediate moments after his father's death I would have accepted the 'insane with grief' explanation but instead it came across as a calculated decision and that makes Barry look all the worse for doing so.

On a side note I'm worried that the show has leaned so much on time travel so early in its run - the writers have a 'get out of jail' card they can play at any time to undo events. Does the show have anything at stake any longer or does nothing matter if Barry can just run back and rewrite the past?

Advertisement