Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash [** Spoilers ** ==> US pace]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭squonk

Is this all just a red herring though? What's to stop Barry realising he's done wrong by going back and changing events as he did. By the end of the first episode of the new Season what's to stop him going back and tackling himself in the past so that he no longer prevents Reverse Flash from killing his mother and things go back to normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

squonk wrote: »
    Is this all just a red herring though? What's to stop Barry realising he's done wrong by going back and changing events as he did. By the end of the first episode of the new Season what's to stop him going back and tackling himself in the past so that he no longer prevents Reverse Flash from killing his mother and things go back to normal?

It's too big of an event for them to cancel it in the first episode. Realistically this should affect Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow too. The first half of each show could be set in this new timeline leading up to the crossover event in December which could be used to merge Supergirl into the Flash Arrow Universe and fix some stuff in Arrow. It will be stupid if the timeline is only changed in Flash and not the other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Yeah that's what's going to happen. Look how quickly the cliffhanger from last year was done with. There no way there going to use this to reboot the other shows. You can tell by there own cliffhangers those shows are going to do there own thing. I think everyone is jumping on Flashpoint and how the change DC comics but season 3 opener will be Barry wrestling with the guilt of his actions and going back and putting things right by the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I feel like Barry's decision to rewrite his past essentially undoes the character development he had from S1 where he accepted his mother's fate. I'd agree with other posters that the show didn't sell me on his decision as one being born from grief. If he had reacted in the immediate moments after his father's death I would have accepted the 'insane with grief' explanation but instead it came across as a calculated decision and that makes Barry look all the worse for doing so.

On a side note I'm worried that the show has leaned so much on time travel so early in its run - the writers have a 'get out of jail' card they can play at any time to undo events. Does the show have anything at stake any longer or does nothing matter if Barry can just run back and rewrite the past?

He never quite accepted it though until two episodes ago in the speedforce.

But sometimes you just can't account for when tragedy strikes. He lost his father out of nowhere just as he was coming to terms with the loss of his mother, so it's fair to say he snapped in the moment and made the wrong decision.

I don't think it's fair to label someone going through grief as selfish......even if they are fcuking up the world in the process. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Thr Flash is an entertaining show but it does seem to favour maintaining the status quo of characters so I expect by the second episode of next season he will go back in time and prevent himself form saving his mother and professor wells will return from Earth 2. Any reason why if he was upset about his father dying he just didn't go back in time and save him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

You know he will go back to the future with his mother alive and find that the timeline has changed and everything is different and worse off.

(insert picture of Marty and Doc Brown talking about an alternative 1985 timeline)

Barry realising this, works through his emotions and finds he has to sacrifice his happiness for the sake of others & he will go back again to stop himself from doing it telling himself to not save her. (which is what we saw in season 1 I believe)

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey & we're back to where we started and some other foe will come along and kick off the real season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

crazyderk wrote:
    Barry realising this, works through his emotions and finds he has to sacrifice his happiness for the sake of others & he will go back again to stop himself from doing it telling himself to not save her. (which is what we saw in season 1 I believe)

But did he not learn this at the end of season one when he decided not to save her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,219 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But did he not learn this at the end of season one when he decided not to save her?

But he never saw any consequences of the other choice - this time he will do.

I'm very confused as to where they go from here; with the other shows also still on the go.

I would actually love to see them do it as some sort of mini-series, in the month or so before the proper seasons start back. Give us a good run/story explaining it all from Flash's new perspective - fix it all somehow (returning us to the state of play after the kiss with Iris) and then start the proper new seasons of Flash, Arrow and Supergirl, all kicking off from when they finished this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It'd be funny if It took Barry a few episodes to set things right in the new season and get everything back to the norm so the other shows were changed somewhat.

For example In Arrow their stories pick up right from where they left off but Oliver now only has one arm for some reason (but nobody references it cos he has only had one arm for ages as far as they know) then in Arrow's next ep after Barry sets things right Ollie suddenly has both arms again.

It'd be funny if It took Barry a few episodes to set things right in the new season and get everything back to the norm so the other shows were changed somewhat.

For example In Arrow their stories pick up right from where they left off but Oliver now only has one arm for some reason (but nobody references it cos he has only had one arm for ages as far as they know) then in Arrow's next ep after Barry sets things right Ollie suddenly has both arms again.

It could be very cool to see an alternate timeline play out for a few episodes. for example, in one of the Earth 2 scenes, we saw it was Oli's dad that survived the the island - could have a cool few episodes with a timeline where Robert Queen is the Green Arrow - and have him play the character differently, darker. The up shot of that, though, would likely just be a reduced proper season of Arrow; maybe one with lesser filler, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Tom Cavanagh Confirmed To Be Returning As Series Regular For The Flash Season 3

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/05/27/tom-cavanagh-confirmed-to-be-returning-as-series-regular-for-the/

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Tom Cavanagh Confirmed To Be Returning As Series Regular For The Flash Season 3

Did Thawn kill Wells before or after he killed Barry's mother?

Did Thawn kill Wells before or after he killed Barry's mother?

He killed Wells after killing Barry's mother.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He killed Wells after killing Barry's mother.

So, essentially we're going to get the original timeline which would have existed before Thawn went back in time and killed Barry's mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Time travel.

The cause of, and solution to, all of a writers problems. :p

So, essentially we're going to get the original timeline which would have existed before Thawn went back in time and killed Barry's mother?

It's possible, so if the writer do go the
    FLASHPOINT
    route, we'll have a Barry with no speed, and the Barry that screwed up in the end of the Season 2 finale
    w/memory's of the original timeline intact
    , which will of course alert Rip & his rag tag crew to the problem/Barry's messing with time, which could be a cool way to tie in the ending to Legends first season.

IF that's the way it goes, I hope they drag it out, up to the 4 show crossover, it's a lot of plates to spin simultaneously. But I've enough belief in the writers of Flash, Legends, Arrow (to a degree) and SuperGirl to pull off the TV version of
    FLASHPOINT

Lithium93_ wrote:
    , which will of course alert Rip & his rag tag crew to the problem/Barry's messing with time, which could be a cool way to tie in the ending to Legends first season.

I have no idea who Rip is, am I going to have to watch Legends?

I have no idea who Rip is, am I going to have to watch Legends?

Oh :pac:, yeah it might be a good idea to watch Legends Of Tomorrow

Rip Hunter was mentioned in The Flash Season 1 finale, when Eobard was inspecting the time sphere, he said something along the lines of "Rip Hunter would be proud"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is it possible that they'll use the time shenanigans to effectively create an Earth 4? So then there'd be no need to reset any other timelines.

Or they could use Earth 3 and not reset the other timelines.

It's gonna be interesting to see it all play out when the show returns in October.

• Advertisement

So, there's Earth 1, the one we know. Then there's Earth 2 where Zoom came from and there's Earth 3 where Jay Garrick came from right?

What Earth is Supergirl on?

Well there were 52 breaches thanks to the S1 finale, Earth 1 - where everything is currently set, until said otherwise by writers, Earth 2 - Zoom, E3 - Jay Garrick & The JSA

So any of the remaining 49 earths could be where Supergirl is set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well there were 52 breaches thanks to the S1 finale, Earth 1 - where everything is currently set, until said otherwise by writers, Earth 2 - Zoom, E3 - Jay Garrick & The JSA

So any of the remaining 49 earths could be where Supergirl is set.

All of those breaches led to Earth 2. They did confirm that there are infinite Earths though.

All of those breaches led to Earth 2. They did confirm that there are infinite Earths though.

Did they not send Grodd to the planet of the apes?

Did they not send Grodd to the planet of the apes?
    Nope, they sent him to some sabtysry/quarantine area on earth 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

The flashpoint Idea is very ambitious across 4 shows. I really hope they go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

It could be very cool to see an alternate timeline play out for a few episodes. for example, in one of the Earth 2 scenes, we saw it was Oli's dad that survived the the island - could have a cool few episodes with a timeline where Robert Queen is the Green Arrow - and have him play the character differently, darker. The up shot of that, though, would likely just be a reduced proper season of Arrow; maybe one with lesser filler, but still.

Ratings would likely plummet. An Arrow viewer wouldn't have a clue what was going on if he doesn't watch The Flash. He'd think he'd missed a few episodes.

Every time an Arrow character shows up in The Flash my kids get confused because they don't know who it is. When Arrow started they were 8 and 5. Two years later I felt that The Flash was OK for them to watch. Ironically the older kids recently saw an episode of Arrow and told me he thought it was rubbish. "It's all just fighting Dad. I don't think there was a story".

I have to say, I laughed my ass off when I saw
    John Shipp in the mask
    because I was sure I knew what was coming. Mrs. DubTony suggested it a few episodes back, and I said there's no way they'd make him
    The Flash
    . That'd be ridiculous. In any timeline. Ever. :roll eyes:
    Giving a nod to an actor who once played a role is a nice touch, but sometimes they can go a bit too far. I don't expect a pudgy Dean Cain to don a cape in SuperGirl next season, although Helen Slater might still be able to pull it off.
    :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DubTony wrote: »
    Giving a nod to an actor who once played a role is a nice touch, but sometimes they can go a bit too far. I don't expect a pudgy Dean Cain to don a cape in SuperGirl next season, although Helen Slater might still be able to pull it off.

Would you be shocked though if
    Smallville's (CW) Tom Welling
    did ? as that has been rumored before. I wouldn't and would actually like it as part of say the potential crossover eps in conjunction with the Legends storyline introduced in it's finale
    Justice League of America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

DubTony wrote: »
    Ratings would likely plummet. An Arrow viewer wouldn't have a clue what was going on if he doesn't watch The Flash. He'd think he'd missed a few episodes.

Every time an Arrow character shows up in The Flash my kids get confused because they don't know who it is. When Arrow started they were 8 and 5. Two years later I felt that The Flash was OK for them to watch. Ironically the older kids recently saw an episode of Arrow and told me he thought it was rubbish. "It's all just fighting Dad. I don't think there was a story".

I have to say, I laughed my ass off when I saw
    John Shipp in the mask
    because I was sure I knew what was coming. Mrs. DubTony suggested it a few episodes back, and I said there's no way they'd make him
    The Flash
    . That'd be ridiculous. In any timeline. Ever. :roll eyes:

I thought Shipp looked the part, for the role he's playing at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would you be shocked though if
    Smallville's (CW) Tom Welling
    did ? as that has been rumored before. I wouldn't and would actually like it as part of say the potential crossover eps in conjunction with the Legends storyline introduced in it's finale
    Justice League of America

Was
    Justice Society
    And as for
    Tom Welling, he annoyed a lot of fans by refusing to don the costume. Of course now that he's disappeared into obscurity, maybe he'd be more open to it

Advertisement