Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash [** Spoilers ** ==> US pace]

Comments

Pure speculation based on on-screen events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Some bad writing ruining some, possibly, very good story material.

This has been a hallmark of the show since day one I believe - the excitement of new characters, villains, time travel etc. kept me going throughout the first two seasons but they badly finished up Zoom as a villain after initially having me enthralled, they then turned the season upside down with the flashpoint reveal but then from the off in S3 - it's been terribly handled by the writers. Flashpoint had huge potential and imo, it was 100% wasted

I've stopped watching, I'm simply keeping up with this thread to see how you fine folks are getting on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to laugh at Sara saying what she said to Barry. As if they haven't gone back and caused the deaths of many people, like in WWII or when Jax freed the slaves. Pretty sure those could have a pretty big effect. Barry saved one person then went back and let that person die again, which in theory should've changed things back. So at least he tried to fix things. The Legends just used future technology in old France and just figured "Oh well, it happens"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

With the hindsight of 8 episodes of Season 3 having passed and the reveal of 2056 Barry's message on Legends, Eobard Thawne's line of "Now who's the villain Flash" rings kinda true in a way, everyone knows what Barry has done/changed.

Though one thing I don't get is Cisco being mad at Barry for killing Dante, when in reality he should be pissed at Eobard, as it was him who actually in a way reset everything by again killing Nora (props to Michelle Harrison for doing that scene over and over again) and bringing Barry back to Joe's after coming from the Flashpoint reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have a feeling there is something major still to come in relation to flashpoint. Plus could it not be things reverse flash has done that caused some of the problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One shall betray you, one shall fall, one will suffer a fate far worse than death...

I think if they save Iris, someone else will take her place.

The back half of the season should be very interesting. I hope they keep the main story going and don't resort to meta of the week until the last few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Thought using Jay Garrick as an exposition dump was kinda lame. "How do you know all this?" "I just do".

Also their new home is pretty amazing for slmeone who was unemployed and a low leve journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wells left Star Labs to Barry - he is loaded. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Thought using Jay Garrick as an exposition dump was kinda lame. "How do you know all this?" "I just do".

Also their new home is pretty amazing for slmeone who was unemployed and a low leve journalist.

Maybe he got a new job pizza delivery ? Heck maybe he works for every take way delivery The Flash could make a living doing that kinda work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I hope Julian becomes a legit part of team Flash - they definitely seemed to be hinting at a romance between himself and Caitlin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Philosophers Stone..
    I was half expecting Voldemort to appear when Julian/Draco said that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mark Hamill's cameo was awesome.

More @HamillHimself is needed it just makes everything comicbook better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,220 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought there would be a bigger ending to that episode - or is the season break after next week?

Edit: nope, that was the mid season finale. A disappointing episode to go out on, imo. No cliff hanger or to have us screaming for the next episode for resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Monotype wrote: »
    Barry should just tell the guy he works with that he's the flash. I'm sure they'd get along better then.

See? Telling his secret to everyone just seems to help.

Mr E wrote: »
    Wells left Star Labs to Barry - he is loaded. :)
    Because he's taking in so much money. Don't even know what they do to keep the place running. Which is why I assumed HR was suggesting the tours.
    I hope Julian becomes a legit part of team Flash - they definitely seemed to be hinting at a romance between himself and Caitlin anyway.

She didn't even apologise for torturing him. I guess I could forgive her as well.

What I don't get is how many times now have we seen Barry run really fast like when racing Zoom or someone or now Wally apparently running faster than him, yet they don't travel in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote:
    What I don't get is how many times now have we seen Barry run really fast like when racing Zoom or someone or now Wally apparently running faster than him, yet they don't travel in time?

They have to running under certain conditions to travel through time, like when the plot requires it. Duh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Exactly. It's called the Plotforce. :P

In all seriousness, this is the problem with time travel. Once you open that door in your story, you can never close it. Every problem can be solved by doing it over so you have to impose nonsensical reasons why the characters refuse to do it. I dont care what promises or oaths barry has taken....if somebody from team flash died, he would run back in time. Flashpoint like consequences be damned. The showrunners are going to have to live with that fact by using time travel so casually so often.

Anyway, my theory is that events will unfold that see's Joe stabbed instead of Iris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

And they are saying that Wally is running faster than Barry did at that point in his training, not that he is running faster than Barry is now.

Yeah I got that part but just more or less meant how frequent they imply how fast they're going (faster than they ever have before) yet no time travel. But yeah I know it's a plot device.
    Sure seems everything these days is based around time travel. Flashpointm, message from future Barry, Savitar. And we're only halfway into this season.

Was watching the Kelsey Grammer Christmas Carol musical last weekend and was strange seeing Joe dancing and singing in it. I know he's a Broadway actor, but I'm only familiar with him in the Flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,220 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

isn't time travel a massive part of the flash stories in the comics - so it being a central theme in the show makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mark Hamill's cameo was awesome.

More @HamillHimself is needed it just makes everything comicbook better.

Was half expecting him to burst out just go looney.

isn't time travel a massive part of the flash stories in the comics - so it being a central theme in the show makes sense.

Absolutely but you don't have to follow the source material exactly. Whats more, you can have time travel but make it difficult to do. At the moment, Barry can do it as if he is popping down the shops. If it taxed him, or took build up or effort they could more easily excuse him not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Kirby wrote: »
    Exactly. It's called the Plotforce. :P

In all seriousness, this is the problem with time travel. Once you open that door in your story, you can never close it. Every problem can be solved by doing it over so you have to impose nonsensical reasons why the characters refuse to do it. I dont care what promises or oaths barry has taken....if somebody from team flash died, he would run back in time. Flashpoint like consequences be damned. The showrunners are going to have to live with that fact by using time travel so casually so often.

Anyway, my theory is that events will unfold that see's Joe stabbed instead of Iris.

But isn't the consequences Flashpoint. If I can miss quote Forest Gump a bit time is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get. Even we seemingly allowing all to happen again nothing is the same. Also he talked about changing the circumstance to stop Iris dieing not going back in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I don't think Iris will die for no other reason than Barry has been put through the ringer at this stage. To lose his father and love of his life in the space of a year is too much. At the end of the day this is the CW, not HBO.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I don't think Iris will die for no other reason than Barry has been put through the ringer at this stage. To lose his father and love of his life in the space of a year is too much. At the end of the day this is the CW, not HBO.

Let me introduce you to a show called The 100. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Thought there would be a bigger ending to that episode - or is the season break after next week?

Edit: nope, that was the mid season finale. A disappointing episode to go out on, imo. No cliff hanger or to have us screaming for the next episode for resolution.

I actually liked the ending. Now I'm not gonna be annoyed about waiting for he resolution of a cliffhanger for months on end.

So we have another speedster for Barry to fight yeah?

So we have another speedster for Barry to fight yeah?

Yeah at some point it does make him look a bit weak when everytime a new villain shows up....they are a speedster. And faster than him.

"My name is Barry Allen, and I'm very rarely the fastest man alive...."

Be a crazy twist if Ollie got the speedsters and Barry got the archers.
    Like I always think about the comics: Why doesn't the Joker or any of the villains go and terrorise somewhere that has no heroes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I actually liked the ending. Now I'm not gonna be annoyed about waiting for he resolution of a cliffhanger for months on end.

Same; I think there's now clear stakes at play here for future episodes that doesn't need an immediate resolution, and everyone got a chance to catch breath and enjoy some time off.

Part of the appeal Flash had for me was its breezy camaraderie among the main cast & it was nice to see that back after all the angst and wonky "I'm turning EVIL!" writing. Even Julian's appearance was a nice addition for a character intentionally drawn unlikeable and antagonistic.

Definitely agree about the continuous stream of speedsters though, the show needs to a) stop making Barry a whiney accidental villain and b ) introduce a new, more interesting villain(s) to fight.

Advertisement