Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Losing Connection

• 05-08-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok this is a kinda long story but am really hoping some here can help me out with what might be going on.

Last Sat on 27th July while using the internet during the day I began to notice my modem losing its connection to internet and restarting oven and over until it got its signal. The modem seemed to take a long time on getting the Upstream light lit. Thinking this was maybe due to work being carried out I just ignored it. It happened like this Sunday and then Monday too. 15 to 20 times during each day. This will happen while using internet over WiFi, my Xbox plugged in to modem via Ethernet cable and same goes for PC. Its connected via a Ethernet cable.

Must point out that it happens from early morning until around 7pm then seems stable. Rang UPC and a Technician came out Tuesday. He had a look at modem log and say the power levels coming into my house for the UPstream was very low. He got a 2nd Line Technician to sort it out. Said he would ring me when it was done. Service was just as bad all day Tuesday until later that night.

Wednesday was the worse I have seen it. Rang UPC again and after 48 mins on hold the woman came back to me and said the Technician would ring me right back. 5 hours later I had to ring UPC back just before they went off for the night and was told the Technician tried to ring me and left a message for me on my voicemail. Which I dont have setup so thats weird.

Technician came out Thursday and replaced modem. Said power levels were now sorted out and off he went. 20 mins later modem began losing signal again and going over and over and getting stuck on trying to get the Upstream light lit. Rang UPC again, was told technician would call right back out to me. 2 hours later, modem still stuck on Upstream problem, Technician came back but this time with another Technician.

They tested the connection on their equipment and said it was fine. Told me it was probably my surge protector and to try using modem without it plugged into the surge protector.

I did this with only the modem plugged into mains, no Ethernet cables plugged into modem nor the UPC phone. All unplugged and off. I began to stream a film on Netflix over WiFi and modem began to reset over and over again.

I then tried modem plugged into another main socket in the house, I even ran a heavy duty extension cable to neighbors house. Same problem. Then I tried unplugging EVERYTHING in my house, even turning off my mobile. Same problem.

So now I have yet another Technician coming out tomorrow to have another look. Only thing is that this is really only happening say between 7am - 7pm or there abouts. Late at night I can play online games, stream on Twitch etc etc. Only thing I can think of is there is noise on the cables coming into my house from something near me or someone has tapped into my cable for free TV and the cable is messed up.

So guys, what do you think. Am I missing something else it could be? Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.

Sigh, while typing this modem has reset 3 times already.....

PS here is some of the errors I see in the modems log, I've removed my MAC address in these errors.

1 Sun Aug 04 18:45:12 2013 82000400 Critical (3)
    Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;C
    M-MAC="";CMTS-MAC="";CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

33 Sun Aug 04 18:44:42 2013 82000500 Critical (3)
    Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

11 Sun Aug 04 18:42:19 2013 66060509 Warning (5)
    Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic Flow (EC=7);CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Omarus

When Modem is up and running this is what I get...

Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    MAC Address: I removed This
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Disable

Cable Modem State

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: *Completed*
    DOCSIS Ranging: *Completed*
    DOCSIS DHCP: *Completed*
    DOCSIS TFTP: *Completed*
    DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: *Completed*
    DOCSIS Privacy: *Enabled*

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1: 12.9 dBmV 41.9 dB
    Channel 2: 12.1 dBmV 41.5 dB
    Channel 3: 12.1 dBmV 40.5 dB
    Channel 4: 12.8 dBmV 40.8 dB
    Channel 5: 10.6 dBmV 40.9 dB
    Channel 6: 9.0 dBmV 41.4 dB
    Channel 7: 11.3 dBmV 40.4 dB
    Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
    Channel 1: 41.9 dBmV
    Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

This is what I get when modem goes out and spends 20 - 30 mins trying to get the Upstream connected.

Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    MAC Address: I removed This
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Cable Modem Status: Scanning
    Wireless Network: Disable

Cable Modem State

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: *Completed*
    DOCSIS Ranging: *In Progress*
    DOCSIS DHCP: *In Progress*
    DOCSIS TFTP: *In Progress*
    DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: *In Progress*
    DOCSIS Privacy: *Disabled*

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1: 3.1 dBmV 41.9 dB
    Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
    Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Any resolution to this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Omarus

Really sorry I did not get back here with a update. Well after the 2nd Line Technician did his magic everything seems to be up and running again.

What I was told, dont know if its true or not, is that there is a booster box somewhere along outside that was put in to boost signal to my flat. During the day once the sun comes out its overheating the booster box. That was why I was only having drop outs during the day. So they said the replaced the box and now I am sorted.

Sounds a little off to me but as I am now up and running with zero problems I guess I am happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The same issue happened me on Sunday for a few hours, but it also happened Monday night and it didn't return for over 12 hours. It's been stable since, but I found your thread because you have the same firmware as myself. The silent firmware updates annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 westom

Omarus wrote: »
    During the day once the sun comes out its overheating the booster box. That was why I was only having drop outs during the day. So they said the replaced the box and now I am sorted.
    Heat is an excellent diagnostic tool even for all computers. Heat a room to 40 degrees C. A completely normal temperature for any PC. The computer must work just fine. If not, semiconductor inside that computer is defective. Computer will work again when temperatures drop to 20 degrees. And may completely fail even at 20 degrees months or years later.

Many want to cool things because they saw it get warm and fail. They assume that higher temperature will cause hardware damage. Nonsense. Temperature is a diagnostic tool to find defective semiconductors. That in-line amp would only get worse with age. Was always defective when installed. But only reported its defect when heated by the sun.

Use heat as a diagnostic tool. That diagnostic technique can identify some defective electronics before its warranty expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I'm starting to get this problem regularly. Typically have 6 green lights on on the modem and then all of a sudden it just stops (4 lights) and it's then gone for hours. Typically happens in the evenings at about 9 and doesn't come back til the middle of the night.

Really pissing me off! I switched from UPC TV to Sky because of all the problems I had with the box. Anyone heard any feedback about Sky BB?

Advertisement