Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 4 - six years later.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

And still no game :rolleyes: .....how can it take six years to get a feckin game out!?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/03/doom-4-is-still-in-development-but-id-software-cant-talk-about-it-right-now/

Apparently they had it almost complete and scrapped it ,as they weren't happy with it and said it was like something from the 90's. They want to do something fresh , so I commend them on having the guts not to release a sub par cash in sequel and instead refocus and try and give us something new and innovative. Alot of companies could learn a lesson from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And still no game :rolleyes: .....how can it take six years to get a feckin game out!?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/03/doom-4-is-still-in-development-but-id-software-cant-talk-about-it-right-now/

STALKER took 8, and was totally worth it. Duke Nukem Forever took over a decade, and was... Uh, well it took over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

How's that Half-Life: Episode 3 looking?

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meatwad wrote: »
    Apparently they had it almost complete and scrapped it ,as they weren't happy with it and said it was like something from the 90's.

I'd take ID's declaration there more seriously if they weren't the same studio responsible for Doom 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Wouldn't get my hopes up for this one sadly

Carmac seems more interested in bitching about hiring people that any shred of excitement over the game - which most likely means they have a lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Meatwad wrote: »
    Apparently they had it almost complete and scrapped it ,as they weren't happy with it and said it was like something from the 90's.

As in it was like something Doom fans would actually want to play?

Can't be having that - better make it more like CoD. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't get my hopes up for this one sadly

Carmac seems more interested in bitching about hiring people that any shred of excitement over the game - which most likely means they have a lemon.

What was he saying about hiring people exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Meh, I can't see how Doom 4 wouldn't ultimately disappoint; it's the progenitor for nearly every trope that exists within the mainstream FPS genre, and any new iteration would potentially come off as hideously derivative in comparison with other, more contemporary games. Basically it'd be the 'John Carter' of videogames; space marines fighting monsters on Mars? How passé :pac:

But hey, anyone wanting their 90s FPS jollies could do worse than play the Rise of the Triad remake; it's not half bad. Very scratchy in places but also very nostalgic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If they did something like made it cheap and really pushed on the oculus rift with the game they could do something a bit different but it's hard to think of any way to make it interesting.

Rage was fun enough but if they're looking for top selling fps they need to think outside the box.

I think going mental is a good route - Borderlands gave weapons all sorts of uses with the various interesting mods for your character and weapons - shields that explode, teleporting grenades, that sort of thing.
    Or things like Saints Row with the dubstep gun.

The chaos of Quake 3 arena and the lack of punishment for dying made it really fast pace and really fun. They could add a few crazy elements to it - like the introduction of bouncy platforms the first time around that completely changed the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

pixelburp wrote: »
    Meh, I can't see how Doom 4 wouldn't ultimately disappoint...
    I think that people's expectations are suitably low at this point that the game can be considered on its own merits. I mean, it's been almost twenty years since Doom was last setting the pace in PC gaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Doom 3: go into dark room. Shoot corner. Nothing. Move past corner. Scripted monster jumps out.

And so on.

So yeah, something new would be good. They want something of lore, to be told by gamers, to gamers. And not something brushed under the carpet, such as Doom 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Carmac has moved on. He's CTO of Oculus VR now (which has me very excited for what's going to come of the rift). Which surely means someone else is going to take the helm at id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Carmac has moved on. He's CTO of Oculus VR now (which has me very excited for what's going to come of the rift). Which surely means someone else is going to take the helm at id.

He hasn't left ID though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

quarryman wrote: »
    What was he saying about hiring people exactly?

That it can take months just to hire one person. I think he's lamenting the days when talented programmers would rush to ID, whereas now they seem drawn elsewhere and ID has to choose from a dwindling talent pool... or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

That it can take months just to hire one person. I think he's lamenting the days when talented programmers would rush to ID, whereas now they seem drawn elsewhere and ID has to choose from a dwindling talent pool... or something

Hasen't Carmack seen better days now?....Half Life is sooooo late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

People hating on Doom 3 need to go back and play it now and realize that its actually one of the most enjoyable pure FPSes around. Just walking around blasting ****, no epic blockbuster cutscenes, no waist high cover, no regenerating health, no deep moral choices, its just one man ripping and tearing huge guts. I got it in the steam sale and its held up great once you apply a few mods. It's a better shooter than Bioshock Infinite anyway.

For the ultimate experience tho Brutal Doom is the greatest FPS ive played all year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hasen't Carmack seen better days now?....Half Life is sooooo late 90's.

Carmack had nothing to do with Half Life. It was made by Gabe Newell and those at Valve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It really makes me feel... meh... Doom 3 was "okay" game, when you learn to walk in backwards in to new area, because 90% of the times there will be teleporting enemies from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It really makes me feel... meh... Doom 3 was "okay" game, when you learn to walk in backwards in to new area, because 90% of the times there will be teleporting enemies from behind.

Or dodging the imps that spawn when you open doors.

I thought that Quake 4 was way better.
    Holds up pretty well even now, despite being a bit more bland than modern shooters.

Graphics still look reasonable too.

I think those sorts of games would still be perfectly marketable, just not for 50 quid at launch.
    If they're not going to invest in any lore, particularly different game mechanics, voice acting or anything else, they should be able to cut the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

People hating on Doom 3 need to go back and play it now and realize that its actually one of the most enjoyable pure FPSes around. Just walking around blasting ****, no epic blockbuster cutscenes, no waist high cover, no regenerating health, no deep moral choices, its just one man ripping and tearing huge guts. I got it in the steam sale and its held up great once you apply a few mods. It's a better shooter than Bioshock Infinite anyway.

For the ultimate experience tho Brutal Doom is the greatest FPS ive played all year.

DOOM 3 is fun for an hour but then they extend that hour over 8 hours. Dead Space did the same thing but did it better (still felt too long though).

The original DOOMs are pure FPS action. DOOM 3 is kind of a relic. A technical milestone to be sure but there are better alternatives these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

pixelburp wrote: »
    Carmack had nothing to do with Half Life. It was made by Gabe Newell and those at Valve.

:o thought he was behind HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Matt Hooper, formally Creative Director at id Software gets a new job: Director of Development at Oculus VR. It seems to me that id is dying slowly and painfully. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just looked at the trailer for that.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Matt Hooper, formally Creative Director at id Software gets a new job: Director of Development at Oculus VR. It seems to me that id is dying slowly and painfully. :(
    Hooper was only at iD for 10 years so his chief contribution would have been the creative direction of RAGE along with whatever work was done on Doom 4. While the former game is still sitting on my pile of titles to play though, from what I gather from most folk, I don't think his loss will be a massive blow to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

gizmo wrote: »
    Hooper was only at iD for 10 years so his chief contribution would have been the creative direction of RAGE along with whatever work was done on Doom 4. While the former game is still sitting on my pile of titles to play though, from what I gather from most folk, I don't think his loss will be a massive blow to the company.

I really enjoyed RAGE. Not on day 1 though as there was massive issues with ATI/AMD cards that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I really enjoyed RAGE. Not on day 1 though as there was massive issues with ATI/AMD cards that day.
    Aye, I've heard some good things about it alright and I'm certainly looking forward to playing it myself. I guess what I was getting at was that based on his contribution to the company (RAGE and the design ****storm that is Doom 4) he doesn't strike me as someone who couldn't really be replaced and whose departure certainly doesn't indicate a company "dying slowly and painfully".

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

That looks fantastic!
    Does it work with the Steam version of the games?
    Matt Hooper, formally Creative Director at id Software gets a new job: Director of Development at Oculus VR. It seems to me that id is dying slowly and painfully.

I don't think so.
    Carmack's the new CTO of Oculus VR but is staying on in a lead development role at id. I'm hoping that means we'll see some Oculus Rift compatible games from id including Doom4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

:o thought he was behind HL.
    Half-Life used the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified QuakeWorld engine with Quake I & some Quake II code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

gouche wrote: »
    That looks fantastic!
    Does it work with the Steam version of the games?

It does indeed. I got Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, and Doom 2 in the Quakecon sale last week and installed BrDoom with them. Its absolutely incredible.
    Best thing is getting a berserk pack, you get a 3rd person killmove if you punch an enemy to death, you can rip cacodemons eyes out, pull a pinkies head off, kerbstomp imps, and rip a baron of hells guts out of his ass :D

Its so ****ing good, i seriously urge anyone who hasnt played it to play it now.

im gonna do a better video once v019 comes out, just threw this together the other day

• Advertisement
Advertisement