Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Side stand sensor switch or battery?

• 05-08-2013 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Does anyone know anyhting about electronics faults on a Harley 08 Street Bob?

Several weeks ago my bike cut out at lights when I tried to put it into first gear. A message scrolled across the odometer saying "side stand". This is meant to come up if you try to take off with the stand down and the engine is meant to cut out under those circumstances. But my stand was up and I was idling at lights. When I got the green light I put the bike into first and it cut out, giving me the message that the stand was down.

I removed the battery and a friend took it to a mechanic. The mechanic later came to collect my bike in his van. When he got around to checking the side stand it was after the battery had been on charge for 3 days in his workshop. He put the battery back in and set about looking at the side stand. However he found that the stand was working as normal and phoned me to tell me so.

I collected my bike and it ran as normal for about 3 weeks. Then it happened again. It broke down at lights, with that same "side stand" message coming up. Does anybody have any idea what might be the issue here? I originally asked if anyone knows about Harleys because I have been online on various forums related to Harleys, and have come up with several possibilities. One is that I may need a new side stand sensor switch. However if the switch were at fault is it likely that charging the battery would have rectified the fault temporarily? Another solution offered was that I might need a new battery.

If anybody has any advice regardless of what bike or bikes you ride or have worked on I would appreciate it. Also if I need a new battery would a Yuasa YTX20HL-BS be suitable? Their website says yes....but then it would do, wouldn't it?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Could be a dodgy sidestand sensor, have you priced a new one?

If it's dodgy then it will only happen sometimes but not all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bypass the switch and see if it cures the issue.
    If it does, the switch is bad, if it doesn't its something else.
    Process of elimination.
    Try one thing at a time and then move on.
    What is the battery testing at?

Advertisement