Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me

Options
  • 05-08-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I'm 20 years old and without any third level education to my name. I have a long employment history but I've planned to go to Canada for so long because I find my hometown suffocating and detrimental to my mental health in a huge way.. I won't go on.

Anyway, I have a long history of manual labour, barwork, restaurant work etc. Would there be any hope for me to achieve employment abroad even without third level education? Is there any situation I could organise for myself that I could have a job there before I go? Would I even get a visa without collegiate education? I thought those were only reserved for the qualified but you can hope. Desperately need this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx apply for this next January 2 year open work permit.
    I would head for the prairie provinces Alberta and Saskatchewan be no shortage of work there.
    Unlikely to organize a job before you go but easy to get work once you are here.

keep an eye on www.kijji.ca for jobs, good source for casual labour and manual labour jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

You can definitely get work over here without any third level education so don't worry about that.

Bartending, restaurant work can be tricky at times to get into. You will need to complete a Serving It Right course (simple online test about drink safety- http://www.servingitright.com/ ) and a Food Safe course which you can only do once you get out here. It's a one day course, very easy to pass. Serving It Right is for British Columbia other provinces might have similar tests.

If you apply in January for an IEC you will get a 2 year visa. So save whatever money you can between now and the time you come out here!

Advertisement