Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian Restaurant in Dublin

Options
  • 05-08-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I've only recently started eating Indian, mostly cooking it myself, but I am looking to expand my repertoire. Anyone know of any good tasting menus in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Kinara on Clontarf Road by the wooden bridge. Great food, not cheap but worth it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Kinara on Clontarf Road by the wooden bridge. Great food, not cheap but worth it!!!!

Is that not Pakistani? There's another one in Malahide, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Lux23 wrote: »

The one in Malahide is called Kajjal. Delish! Owned by the same crowd. Both Pakistani cuisine, though I find it hard to tell the difference between the different foods (apologies to the 1 billion people I may offend with that!).

I've been told by Indian friends that most Indian restaurants over here feature Nepalese or Pakistani chefs, and their influence can be felt, though for the uninformed like myself, I can't tell.

Jaipur is delicious, they have a few places around. Once again its expensive. Also indie spice in Swords is fantastic! They do a 2 course lunch for €8.95, I think, and it is beautiful!

On the topic of cost, Indian tends to be very expensive over here. I've friends living in London who can't get over how much it costs for a nice Indian over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If the OP can tell the difference I'd eat my hat! ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Rasam in Dun Laoghaire is one of the best Indians I have ever eaten in - consistently excellent top quality Indian cuisine:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186606-d1012588-Reviews-Rasam_Restaurant-Dun_Laoghaire_County_Dublin.html
    http://www.rasam.ie/

On the more budget end of the scale there is a great place called Roposhi in Phibsboro - cheap as chips but great authentic Indian food:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d2302318-Reviews-Ruposhi_Indian_Restaurant-Dublin_County_Dublin.html
    http://www.ruposhi-indian.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Cheap and cheerful but Deli O' Delhi on Moore Street is delicious!! Doesn't look great from the outside but awesome food! All vegetarian and some vegan options too! http://www.delhiodeli.com/index.php

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Indiespice in Swords/Sandymount are both excellent, and can be quite affordable.

Used to love Mint Leaf (formally Jamuna) in Drumcondra, but the last time I was there it wasn't great.

My sister claims Monty's of Kathmandu is the best she's had, but I haven't tried them yet.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Eh, prior to 1947 Pakistan, India and Bangladesh was British India. Two generations haven't diversified the cuisine that much excepting the already existing regional variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It's a takeaway popadom harolds cross (they used to have a resturant in Rathgar before) they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Eh, prior to 1947 Pakistan, India and Bangladesh was British India. Two generations haven't diversified the cuisine that much excepting the already existing regional variation.

According to Indian friends, they would notice a big difference in a Pakistani restaurant . And do you really think I didn't know about partition in that part of the world?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone know of any good tasting menus in Dublin?
    Definitely try Indie Dhaba. Bring friends. Order everything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

According to Indian friends, they would notice a big difference in a Pakistani restaurant . And do you really think I didn't know about partition in that part of the world?
    They might but would you but would you? Let's not forget that a number of the dishes you eat here are also going to be British variants on traditional Indian dishes so is there really a need to get deep into the regional variations since a lot of it aren't dishes you'd ever see in India.

I'd also recommend Kinara - it's lovely.
    Deli-o'Delhi is, as far as I can recall, very traditional Indian food. It's not a restaurant but more of a café vibe. It also does Indian street food (e.g. the Indian equivalent of a pizza) and some traditional Indian drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

They'd also probably notice a big difference between a Goan and Keralan dish, but it's all from the Indian sub-continent.
    In particular, for someone new to the cuisine of the area, cutting yourself off from Pakistani and Bangladeshi food simply because it doesn't originate in an area currently in a seperate geo-political state to "India" is really silly. Because they weren't sixty years ago. They're all from the same melting pot.
    Take a look at the menu for Kinara and then another for an "Indian" restaurant and you'll see what I mean.

Advertisement