Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Mortgage Payment; Once in a while or once every month

Options
  • 05-08-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

In terms of paying off a mortgage faster and reduce the interest over the life time of a mortgage is it advisable to put an extra amount in each month or say a lump sum in each year ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your mortgage interest is calculated daily. So you are better putting it in monthly. Even better is paying your mortgage twice a month in smaller amounts, than a large amount once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I made a few overpayments, maybe one every 9 months, then I also asked the bank to change from monthly to fortnightly.

When they changed it, they reduced the overall amount slightly, but I contacted them again and asked them to increase the fortnightly payments. In the end I am now paying more than I was monthly, but happy as I can currently afford it, and its all getting the mortgage paid off earlier.

Every little helps.

Advertisement