Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog urine smell

• 05-08-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi, my dog, Bud is a 15 year old parsons terrier cross. When he was younger, he was really good for not urinating in the house but these days he's just not able to tell us when he needs to go. He's had a couple of accidents on a shag style rug we have in our living room and I can't get the smell out of it. I know some people will say 'just don't allow him into that room', but he loves lying down for a nap on this rung and I think in his old age he's earned the entitlement :-)

Can anyone give advice on how to remove the smell from the rug or are there any products you can get for this? All help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He's gorgeous!

You can get urine cleaners from shops like woodies and some pet shops. Here's one woodies sell http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/1001-No-Vac-Pet-Trouble-Shooter-500ml/19703/4.15.0#.Uf_rbtLOsVg.

I think you're so right about him earning his sport on the rug! Maybe you could get something to put on the rug, I love the vet beds, but anything you can wash at high temps would do. If he has accidents in his sleep you can just throw that blanket into the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Our dog used to have the odd accident on the carpet in the sitting room, and we found the best thing to get rid of the smell (after cleaning the area and allowing the carpet to dry) was to sprinkle some baking soda on the area, leave for about 30 minutes, and then hoover it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Ahh, what a cute dog. Try White Vinegar mixed with water, just put it in a sprayer and spray the affected areas. Best to avoid any woodwork tho if possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh lordy OP... he's lovely! Just my kind of terrier!
    I've also heard that baking soda is a good odour remover alright, and the vinegar suggestion.
    Has your vet given any help with controlling this problem OP?
    There are a number of reasons why older dogs start to pee when they wouldn't have dreamed of doing so in their younger years.
    It could be an underlying health problem: kidneys, liver, prostate gland... worth getting checked out.
    Or, it could be a more straightforward age-related incontinence due to lack of muscle tone and sphincter control: medication can help with this.
    Or, or perhaps AND, it could also be a symptom of Canine Cognitive Dementia, Which if caught in the early stages can be impressively assisted by a combination of medication, diet, and a dollop of behavioural intervention.
    Perhaps you've already got a definitive diagnosis for why your lovely old pal has been peeing on the rug, I just thought I'd throw these out there as it can be all too easy for owners, and indeed vets, to simply cast off such problems as "just old age", when in fact it may be amenable to some sort of intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You need to clean the carpet with something that contains enzymes - you can buy an enzyme cleaning in most large pet stores or use a biological washing detergent solution (use warm, not boiling hot, water for the mix and throw in a splash of vinigear for good measure... unless you think the vinigear may stain a dark coloured rug). Rinse really well, regardless of which enzyme method you use. Make sure to clean the area under the rug too and all around the patch that had pee on it. Leave to dry. If there is still a smell (which is more likely to be damp rather than pee, if you have cleaned it all out properly), sprinkle sodium bicarbonate (baking soda!) onto the area, rub in and leave for a while (up to a few hours) and vacuum up.

If there is still a smell, you may need to clean the whole rug - I have done this with our rug (same issues as you - golden olldie who didn't have the "holding on" ability he used to) using the bio detergent mix and in an unused bin, left it to dry in the sun for a day and it was grand afterwards (rinsing took an age though!). If the rug isn't too big, I have talked to people who have had them cleaned in dry cleaners but have never done this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

DBB wrote: »
    Oh lordy OP... he's lovely! Just my kind of terrier!
    I've also heard that baking soda is a good odour remover alright, and the vinegar suggestion.
    Has your vet given any help with controlling this problem OP?
    There are a number of reasons why older dogs start to pee when they wouldn't have dreamed of doing so in their younger years.
    It could be an underlying health problem: kidneys, liver, prostate gland... worth getting checked out.
    Or, it could be a more straightforward age-related incontinence due to lack of muscle tone and sphincter control: medication can help with this.
    Or, or perhaps AND, it could also be a symptom of Canine Cognitive Dementia, Which if caught in the early stages can be impressively assisted by a combination of medication, diet, and a dollop of behavioural intervention.
    Perhaps you've already got a definitive diagnosis for why your lovely old pal has been peeing on the rug, I just thought I'd throw these out there as it can be all too easy for owners, and indeed vets, to simply cast off such problems as "just old age", when in fact it may be amenable to some sort of intervention.

He's has doggie dimentia. He circles like a crazy thing. When it comes to having accidents in the house, I think he just doesn't remember that he should go outside. Vet has given him some tablets which are helping with his alertness. Thanks for all the advice. I will have to try some of the tips :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Biological washing powder in warm water will remove the smell.
    Take the rug outside, get a bucket and rub solution in well, leave for a few mins then rinse and hang up to dry.
    Fine in this weather, but if it happens in the winter, harder to do.
    Vet bed is great stuff, really soft and washable, a big chunk of that would make a nice spot to lie in as an alternative to the rug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Gorgeous dog! I have a 15 year old with "dementia days" too. Since thats his fav rug, as you say, he deserves to sleep where he likes now, I would put a pad or old blanket on top of the rug (I wait til my old guy is asleep, then roll him onto the pad/blanket :P - he often goes straight to the pad/blanket now) I find baking soda great for smells too - then just wash spots with warm soapy water every week or so. Oh and do check under the rug in case there is a damp patch that could damage your wooden floor

Advertisement