Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New in GMIT/Possible Glasán meetup this week

• 05-08-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

Anyone else applying to GMIT in Galway? Seems like a good spot. I have a house booked straight across the road in Glasan.

Really looking forward to it. Anyone any tips on the first few days? - Nervous enough because I don't know anyone going

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Go to your lectures, get your timetable, always have a pen and paper out and ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't skip the orientation days. They're damn helpful and anybody who skips them never usually lasts too long in their course.

Don't worry about not knowing anybody. There'll be very few people who will known anybody in their course. Just be cool and talk to as many people as possible. You'll have something in common for a start and that's a great ice-breaker.

If you're living in Glasán I'd definitely look at joining a society or a club. Gives you something to do other than head out on the beer.

Go to as many lectures and tutorials as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Show up for lectures. They usually take a name check at the beginning of classes & If you miss a good few they will favourite the other students! What course will you be doing ? It's normal to be nervous but I guarantee you will make friends on the first day because everyone will be in the same boat! Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Reston

Get out of Glasan, lived there for my first 2 years...dont bank on getting your deposit back from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

Go to the orientation days.
    Don't skip any lectures for the first 2 months.
    Never miss a tutorial.

Always have pen and paper out in every lecture, take many many notes.
    Don't take heed of others not taking notes, it will be their hindrance at the end of the day.

Remember that everyone is very nervous starting college at most people don't know anybody in their course or even in the college.

If you're in Glasan you probably won't get your whole deposit back, it's pretty loud at night time so get ear plugs!
    Try to join a club or society from the beginning so that you're not just going drinking.
    You'll meet some very cool people at the societies.

Don't moan about stupid classes, just do them!
    You will gain something from every class, even the silly ones.

Also do go out at least once a month, Galway city has an amazing nightlife, lots of great pubs and clubs.

Remember that you chose to do the course, you're getting this education for free, in most of the world you'd be paying a crazy amount of money to be getting this education, so appreciate it and try to be passionate about your course!

And above all have fun and enjoy these next 3 to 4 years, college is an amazing portion of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 lilyomara

Which course are you doing? I'm also going to GMIT to do medical science and living in Glasan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GalwayGal93

lilyomara wrote: »
    Which course are you doing? I'm also going to GMIT to do medical science and living in Glasan :)

Same as! Cannot wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 leanne26

I'm doing Medical Science and living in glasan too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rebtreanor

I'm doing medical science and living in glasan too!! Does anybody know if theres a way to find out how many people you'll be sharing a house with?

Well if you have your house number , go to the glasan website and click the location tab theres a map of all the houses and it tells you how many bedrooms they have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 xxbreexx

I'm doing med science too and stayin in glasan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jerry2013

:D

Anyone move into Glasan today? I went in and the place was pretty deserted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shannon240

I'm doing med science too :p really wanna find out who I'm staying with tho

xxbreexx wrote: »
    Anyone move into Glasan today? I went in and the place was pretty deserted!
    Still a good while before 1st years start and the repeats are just finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aaronfriel13

Hi I'll be moving in to glasan tommorow be great to know if anyone else will be there :)

Just gonna edit the thread title to see if we can help see who's in Glasán. Post if ye want to meetup with some of your fellow GMIT Boardsies.

OK well I'm staying in gmit block b :p anyone else out there soon the same? :)

I moved my stuff in yesterday and the place was empty..was hoping to meet the others in my house but no :( went into galway city and couldn't find my way around it! Gonna have to find someone to show me around :P

Moving into glasan on wednesday but i've already been in my house :) Anyone doing medical science? did ye know that physics is one of the modules? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aaronfriel13

Im block b

I'm in block b

Just to say guys maybe be a bit careful on what kind of personal info you put on here. I know it may seem like nobody reads your posts but there's a lot of lurkers and some of whom may want to dick around.

Does anyone know if you're sorted for accom. in Glasan by what course you're doing? Is there any way of finding out who you're living with? I moved my things in the other day.. House was empty so came home again!

I'm doin med science and i'm in block B too :p i'm a good few houses away though! was hoping i'd be sharin with someone doin med science

I think they do take what courses people are doing into account when they are sorting rooms :)

Hopefully! Are u in Glasan too? :-)

Yep im in Glasan :) cannot wait to move in , i only know one person in my house haha :P

Same :) I don't know anyone.. I think one person had moved in but never saw them! :/

• Advertisement

Haha you know they have been there if their door is closed :P we will all be fine anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 scarftoon

physics is done for the first year only. It's not done in any other year again.

Ok thank you :)

Is this course hard work?? I'v never done physics or chemistry before so I'm scared I'll not be able to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 scarftoon

rebtreanor wrote: »
    Is this course hard work?? I'v never done physics or chemistry before so I'm scared I'll not be able to do it?

Both subjects are taught at a level whereby anyone can pick up regardless if you did it before or not. I didn't have any background in physics or chem before and I thought it was fine. You really have to work hard with this course and you might find that the coursework will have you pulling your hair out at some stage but once u keep on top of stuff it's not too bad. First year was by far the easiest and the least stressful when I look back so enjoy it. If you can get over 2nd year you will see the course to the end. That year was by far the hardest and most intense what with extra subjects and everything that goes along with it. 3rd year was good, you are in college up to November and then out in placement for the rest of the year which was great. Then 4th year was quite tiresome but at this stage you get a choice as to what subjects you study so you actually have an interest into what you are doing. Also come 4th year you just want to get the exams over with and leave college behind so you will do anything not to fail exams! All I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I heard rumours that the college bar is closed down (The library ) bodkins and kings valley., Is this true?

• Advertisement
Advertisement