Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50mbs typical download sped to expect/

• 05-08-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to the UPC 50mbs pack but I'm only getting a download speed of 17mbs. When I called UPC they advised that I should be getting a download speed of around 25mbs on the 50mbs package. Is this typical? It seems pretty low to me but it's not a subject I know much about. I've to call back their broadband team tomorrow.

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to the UPC 50mbs pack but I'm only getting a download speed of 17mbs. When I called UPC they advised that I should be getting a download speed of around 25mbs on the 50mbs package. Is this typical? It seems pretty low to me but it's not a subject I know much about. I've to call back their broadband team tomorrow.

Any advise appreciated.

Bullsh*t.

You should be getting 50mb if you're paying for 50!

UPC are one of the companies who say they deliver the speeds they advertise and not just speeds UP to that.

I've always gotten the speed I've paid for in my 3 years with them. 15>30>50>100>150mb where I am now, all of the speeds I've had with them, I've gotten what I've paid for.

The EPC3925 modem is required for speeds above 25 or so as far as I know.

Of course, you should always do speed tests using ethernet cable & using UPC's own speed test site, here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

If he's wireless getting 17mb on a 50mb line wouldn't be unheard of at all.

If he's wired and still getting such a low speed then he should enquire further.
    DaLad wrote: »
    The EPC3925 modem is required for speeds above 25 or so as far as I know.

I'm not on an EPC3925 or later modem and I can get 32/33mb down and 3.2mb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 darrenseventwo

Thanks for the info.

Just done the UPC test there, 10.9mb download. UPC support did say the speed I was getting was low but when they said I should be getting 25mb and not the 50mb, or reasonably close to it, I was surprised. I'll be pushing them tomorrow. UPC did send me out a new modem but it's not the one you mention as far as I'm ware.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 darrenseventwo

I am wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Morf wrote: »
    If he's wireless getting 17mb on a 50mb line wouldn't be unheard of at all.

If he's wired and still getting such a low speed then he should enquire further.

I'm not on an EPC3925 or later modem and I can get 32/33mb down and 3.2mb up.

Yeah I said "as far as I'm aware". So now I'm aware it's more around the 30mb mark.
    I am wireless

You should definitely connect your PC directly to the modem using an ethernet cable and retry the UPC speed test.

What modem did they send you? It should say on the front what model it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

Try it with a wired connection. I upgraded last month and my Speedtest result said 50mb. I downloaded a torrent and it was downloading at 6mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I am wireless

There's your problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Try it with a wired connection. I upgraded last month and my Speedtest result said 50mb. I downloaded a torrent and it was downloading at 6mb/s.

Just in case you arent aware, 50Mb(what speedtests use) is NOT the same as 50MB(what downloading tools use).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

I downloaded a torrent and it was downloading at 6mb/s.

Downloading a torrent is not a reliable way of measuring your speed

I'm also on 50Mbps with UPC. with my laptop plugged directly into the router, I'm getting 55Mbps. On wireless beside the router, it drops to 35, and even lower at a greater distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

6mb/s = 48MB, so your speed is about right, as for the OP, as others have suggested you have to test wired, wireless will never give you an accurate result and wireless speeds are never guaranteed by any ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No ISP promises to give you 50Mbs on wireless. Run the UPC speedtest with a wired connection and see what speed you're getting because that's what they advertise.

First of all torrents aren't a reliable method to test download speed, the speed you get them varies with a load of factors.

And secondly, are you getting bits and bytes confused? One byte is 8 bits. All the files you see on your computer and the speeds you download at will be shown in bytes but ISPs advertise their speeds in bits.

50 Mbs = 50/8 = 6.25 MBs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭jmcc

allen175 wrote: »
    6mb/s = 48MB,
    6 Mb/s is 6 mega bits a second.
    6 MB/s is 6 mega Bytes a second.
    Normally the 'b' is lower case for bits and upper case for Bytes. There are 8 bits per byte.

The way that bits and bytes are used interchangably in advertising and by technology churnalists causes a lot of problems.
    so your speed is about right, as for the OP, as others have suggested you have to test wired, wireless will never give you an accurate result and wireless speeds are never guaranteed by any ISP.
    Agreed. The speedtests should always be run over a wired connection.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement