Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a Junction Box

• 05-08-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of queries about connecting to an Eircom junction box that somebody might be able to help me with. The junction box is located on the footpath outside our house. There was ducting there a one stage to run a line through but it is no longer possible to run it through . Eircom engineers were out a couple of times and they couldn't find a way through. Would it be possible to run this over ground?

Secondly our neighbours across the way are seem to want to run a cable over ground along the road to the junction box. They have even opened up the junction box themselves. I wouldn't be too keen on this happening as I don't think it would be too safe to have cabling going across over ground in front of my drive way.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I have a couple of queries about connecting to an Eircom junction box that somebody might be able to help me with. The junction box is located on the footpath outside our house. There was ducting there a one stage to run a line through but it is no longer possible to run it through . Eircom engineers were out a couple of times and they couldn't find a way through. Would it be possible to run this over ground?

Over ground, Yes but Eircom would need to install a pole.
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    Secondly our neighbours across the way are seem to want to run a cable over ground along the road to the junction box. They have even opened up the junction box themselves. I wouldn't be too keen on this happening as I don't think it would be too safe to have cabling going across over ground in front of my drive way.

The junction box is Eircom's property. They shouldn't be interfering with Eircom's equipment.

You obviously can't have a cable going to a junction box on a footpath or drive way. It might be possible to get a pole run from another junction box or something, or if you're desperate you may be able to run a cable under the ground some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In the case of my friend whose line broke within existing 40 year old ducting from his house to a P&T manhole outside, eircom laid a new duct to beside the door and then brought it through the doorframe and then into the porch where the existing line was. It involved digging up a small patch of concrete, I think they used some of technology to lay a small 25mm duct without having to dig a trench through the rest of the driveway.

I guess some linesmen are more proactive than others... Eircom forum may help if they are not willing to put down a replacement duct. I'm suprised they can't swap out the cable or shove through a new one, my friend's house was a very rare example!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭andublin

The duct and line into your house is Eircom's property and responsibility up to their master socket inside which they supply. The Eircom person arranges a contractor to do the digging etc and run cable. They did it free of charge (in my case) as the old line ( very old) did not conform to regulations, also no proper master socket.

Advertisement