Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Original Packaging

Options
  • 05-08-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

I've always been taught to keep the original packing (box, contents etc) when buying anything. There is a box for my deep fat fryer on the ground next to me and I've always been told by friends to keep it just in case it needs to go back.

Before I chuck out a load of old boxes, I just wanted to check with this forum as I don't believe you need the original packing for a repair/replacement/refund, only for a change of mind, if the company chooses to give you goodwill and refund something you simply don't want.

Is this true? Is there any need to hold onto the original packaging if you know you will keep the product? Do you need to send it in its original box if it is getting one of its three Rs?

I've been stung once by a company in the UK who wouldn't even look at a clearly broken motherboard until I'd returned every little bit of cabling, plug, etc and all the box and packaging!!

Can I clear out all the old boxes I have, knowing that I'm never going to want to take the product back unless it breaks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I've always been taught to keep the original packing (box, contents etc) when buying anything. There is a box for my deep fat fryer on the ground next to me and I've always been told by friends to keep it just in case it needs to go back.

Before I chuck out a load of old boxes, I just wanted to check with this forum as I don't believe you need the original packing for a repair/replacement/refund, only for a change of mind, if the company chooses to give you goodwill and refund something you simply don't want.

Is this true? Is there any need to hold onto the original packaging if you know you will keep the product? Do you need to send it in its original box if it is getting one of its three Rs?

I've been stung once by a company in the UK who wouldn't even look at a clearly broken motherboard until I'd returned every little bit of cabling, plug, etc and all the box and packaging!!

Can I clear out all the old boxes I have, knowing that I'm never going to want to take the product back unless it breaks?

you do not need the packaging to claim on warrantys or to return faulty goods for repair replacement or refund, But some goods like electronics laptops pc's etc are often safer when posted or transported in the pacgaging they came in.

Advertisement