Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlink adapters between flats

• 05-08-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello guys,

So, the manual for my TP-LINK powerline adapters says that the max distance is 300m. Not that I need this much, but only 8-10 metres. I suppose, it should be fine to connect them between 2 flats?

Or does it depend on the wiring somehow? I'm talking about D6 georgian type of houses, if that matters in this case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If the mains is fed from the same transformer then it should work, but distance will be the limiting factor.
    If you already have them, give it a try.
    They don't communicate directly with one another, they use the mains wiring to talk to one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

I forgot to mention that it's my neighbor. I don't think the house can be connected to 2 different transformers.

It won't work if the two houses are on different phases of the electricity supply. Hard to know if they are or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Run an (electricity) extension cable from one house to another.

Bad idea. If you connect two houses together with two differing electricity supplies and earths it can be a fire hazard. If anything did catch fire then any insurance on both properties would be null and void.

It's dangerous to connect a satellite dish between two houses for the same reason.

• Advertisement

Lads, we are in the same house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

XVII wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that it's my neighbor. I don't think the house can be connected to 2 different transformers.
    Lads, we are in the same house.

Calling them your neighbour kinda sounds like its next door. If its the same original house you *should* be ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So it's one house split into two flats?

Should be grand so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

WAIT A SEC!!!

I live in a house split into two apartments. They are on different phases!! I can even photograph the 3 phase cable and the breakout box which has 2 of the 3 63A fuse slots used and upload them here, if anyone still thinks it's not a bad idea or feel qualified to make critical safety judgements on internet forums!

Being in the same house is more than likely not of any relevance!

If it's the same house, use an ethernet cable directly that has its own independent earth connection (as fitted by someone qualified) or else just use 802.11n wifi links!

How much of safety is involved in this, actually?

Ethernet would be too much hassle, and I'd like to avoid wi-fi, as there are quite a few walls involved.

I do have adapters indeed, and I've used them before. I guess, just trying them without any cables, to see if they "find" each other, would be the best option. But then again, is there actually any safety involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If you have the adaptors then why can you not just set them up and test them.
    If you then have a problem we can look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I do have adapters indeed, and I've used them before. I guess, just trying them without any cables, to see if they "find" each other, would be the best option. But then again, is there actually any safety involved?
    No safety risk. Just plug them in and see do they sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

You mention that it is 2 flats in the same house. If they are off the same fuse board then there should be no problem as both should sync, as all sockets are linked. If however there is a fuse board in each flat then they may not work, as the sockets are linked to each board, which means each flat is wired seperately and probably may have its own meter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wifi with directional antenna is another option

It works with no issues, thanks all.

Advertisement