Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer damaged during transit, package opened?

Options
  • 05-08-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So this is the email I sent to <SNIP> but they only allow a 5 day window to make any claims.

My issue is it must have been customs as screws are missing and this is what caused the damage. What can I do? I really do not need this on top of dealing with the funeral.

I was in Sweden last month but had to return sooner than expected due to my partners father passing away in England. I have only seen my computer on the 2nd of August for the first time since returning. I had my computer shipped to me there which came through perfectly using your service. However the return journey from Sweden to Ireland I have encountered damage that has resulted in the inability to use my computer. I believe this was due to customs examining the computer. When I took a look myself I realised it had a lot more tape than I had used on the box.

I made sure beyond a doubt that I packed my computer so that there would be no damage along the way. Which is evident by it's safe passage to Sweden.

On inspection the Power unit which is secured to my case I noticed that 2 screws are missing with 1 screw remaining. This remaining screw is snapped in half. Brute force was used as you can see in the images provided there is server damage to the case.

Due to the power supply being unsecured it cause the unit to move inside my case. This resulted in damage to the motherboard, the sockets leading off it and my CPU.

The damage has rendered the computer useless, it is a fire hazard if turned on due to the power supply and the motherboard.

I have receipts for the entire computers costs as I bought all the parts on the 24th October 2012. I have expected to get many years of use in my investment.

nza0.th.jpgz08c.th.jpgului.th.jpgapnd.th.jpgrazf.th.jpgm8ul.th.jpgf5ik.th.jpgm82c.th.jpgmro3.th.jpg5usx.th.jpgknvi.th.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I sympathise and I would start a claim with the courier, you've no proof it was customs and even so you've contracted with them to get it from A to B they may cover it under insurance.

My concern is that the PC looks significantly older than a year. I'm seeing old style PCI slots which IIRC would put the machine in the region of five+ years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GeorgiaC

I sympathise and I would start a claim with the courier, you've no proof it was customs and even so you've contracted with them to get it from A to B they may cover it under insurance.

My concern is that the PC looks significantly older than a year. I'm seeing old style PCI slots which IIRC would put the machine in the region of five+ years old.

Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H, Intel H77 Express ATX Motherboard, Socket 1155, 4x
    DDR3 Slots, 4x USB 3.0 Ports, 1x PCI Express x16 Slot | 1x PCI Express x16
    (x4) Slot | 3x PCI Express x1 Slot | 2x PCI Slots, 2x SATA III 6Gb/s, 1x Gigabit
    LAN Port, VIA 7.1 Audio, AMD CrossFireX Capable, GA-H77-D3H

I bought the MB on 09/11/2012 from box.co.uk
    The board was released in like May 2012 so yeah it is not over 5 years.

The courier states they give 5 or 7 days for anyone to make a claim however it has been just under a month. The box was sealed and no note from customs (I have received a card on another item once). There was a lot of extra tape and there is the missing screws. So either customs did a look through or the courier for some reason opened it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your mail is an essay and quite frankly does not do anything or say anything.

Just say that you wish to make a claim, the package looks like it was tampered with as it was not in its original packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

GeorgiaC wrote: »
    On inspection the Power unit which is secured to my case I noticed that 2 screws are missing with 1 screw remaining. This remaining screw is snapped in half.

Why only 3 screws in your PSU ? ( i know a few cases are like that - is yours? )
    On inspection.......

Did you check the screws were tight before you packaged it up ?

Brute force was used as you can see in the images provided there is server damage to the case.

If the PSU was only hanging on by one screw it would be bouncing around the place

I stand corrected, must be an old bridge on it to provide PCI, but I guess if thats the functionality people want, it's what they want.

It doesn't change much. If the screws came loose due to rough handling the result is the same. Claim from the courier company. They may only allow 5 days but that may not be supported by the small claims court.

If the amount of force used was enough to shake a PSU loose, it could have easily popped open the box, and someone just taped it back up again along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

check out the T&Cs which you signed up for with the courier company ... unless you paid a premium and/or took out insurance you may only be entitled to a max payout of about €150 or so.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why only 3 screws in your PSU ? ( i know a few cases are like that - is yours? )

Did you check the screws were tight before you packaged it up ?

If the PSU was only hanging on by one screw it would be bouncing around the place

Derp meant to say 1 remaining and 3 lost.
    Most definitely tightened them when I first put it in. I opened the cover before I left to remove the HDD but that's about it, however it never moved after first putting it in.
    The one screw remaining was not attached to the PSU, it was mangled in the hole.

I mean honestly this looked like someone got a crowbar to take those screws off even though they could easily be unscrewed.

ted1 wrote: »
    Your mail is an essay and quite frankly does not do anything or say anything.

Just say that you wish to make a claim, the package looks like it was tampered with as it was not in its original packaging.

As I am able to correctly write a letter it is not my fault you could not read it in entirety. I was able to include all information needed and inform the company of my wishes.

To your second paragraph I can only say you did not read my thread obviously. I do not see why you even bothered to respond if so.

I stand corrected, must be an old bridge on it to provide PCI, but I guess if thats the functionality people want, it's what they want.

It doesn't change much. If the screws came loose due to rough handling the result is the same. Claim from the courier company. They may only allow 5 days but that may not be supported by the small claims court.

If the amount of force used was enough to shake a PSU loose, it could have easily popped open the box, and someone just taped it back up again along the way.

Great idea with small claims court! You have a valid point with the packaging and how the PSU was so violently ripped from the case. I mean literally it looked like someone got a crowbar to the screws!

Thank you!

whippet wrote: »
    check out the T&Cs which you signed up for with the courier company ... unless you paid a premium and/or took out insurance you may only be entitled to a max payout of about €150 or so.

Still €150 is part of the money needed for the repairs. Thank you though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are still new chipsets which support PCI natively. There are new boards with ISA slots although I don't think that's generally chipset integral anymore.

MYOB wrote: »
    There are still new chipsets which support PCI natively. There are new boards with ISA slots although I don't think that's generally chipset integral anymore.

Next you'll be telling me I can buy a MB with Zorro slots :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

It's the fault of Customs alright, Can't see any reason the courier would interfere with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

It hard to make out the photos - you should check out the macro mode if you have one (flower icon on camera) or take photos from further back and zoom by cropping the photos if its a phone etc...

But it looks like the psu may have shaken loose - maybe just dropped and just broke the box - but customs i think use tape clearly marked with the office name to show they opened it. So id start with the couriers first.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My PC was damaged by a freight company in transit from another company I bought it from. The damage was minor, cosmetic, but it was still damaged. I didn't want to go through an RMA ( was dieing to use the PC) so just got in touch with the shipping company who dealt with my claim.

I took some pictures and forwarded it on and few weeks later had a cheque sent to me. The damage was to the case where a door which is ment to open and close had been snapped off. The only way to replace was replacing the entire case. I was provided comp for the estimated value of the case. Whole affair was pleasant and easy to deal with.

I'd calmly contact the courier first by phone to discuss the situation before reverting to letters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What a bizarre thing to say. PCI slots are still a feature of modern motherboards. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

If it was me I would contact the courier company and explain what has happrned.
    They may point you to the T&Cs but ask to speake to the manager and explain once again that you could not inspect the computer within the time frame. Also if possible put all your communications in writing.

Show the damage and estimate the repair bill
    Your best course of readdress is with the courier company.

Save the small claims court for last as it might not go your way. So while worth doing I only use this only when every avenue is exhausted.

If the courier comany blames customes ask for this in writing

Hope it works out for you

Advertisement