Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf DART station

Options
  • 05-08-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I usually get the bus into work but obviously can't tomorrow with the bus strikes, so I'm going to get the DART in from Clontarf. I'm going to drive down and leave my car there, but I'm worried about how busy it's going to be with the bus strikes, and whether or not there'll be enough parking spaces. Does anyone know how busy the carpark is on a normal day? I was planning on getting the 7.51 train (start work at 8.30) but am thinking maybe I should get the 7.36 one, just in case the carpark fills up!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Where do you live? You could walk from Clontarf to town in about 45 minutes, maybe less... In my opinion Clontarf DART is not actually in Clontarf but more Fairview end...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I would use Clontarf once every 3-4 months. I would be there about 8am and the car park would be quite full at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Clontarf Road
    That station is in Fairview ;)

To answer your question the Eastpoint workers will be back so expect the car park to be busy.

Anytime before 8am and you'll be fine. But after 8am and you'll be struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Clontarf Road
    That station is in Fairview ;)

To answer your question the Eastpoint workers will be back so expect the car park to be busy.

Anytime before 8am and you'll be fine. But after 8am and you'll be struggling

+1 to this, the DART car park looks deceptively big due to the Westwood Gym overflow car park beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah Westwood. The disabled parking spaces are abused and double parking all over the place.

People would slit your throat to get 50 metres closer to the front door.

Seem to have forgotten it's a gym they are going to :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

mikemac1 wrote: »

That doesn't make sense...why would East Point workers park their car in Clontarf Road station? If you were going to drive into East Point, you'd park in the business park itself, and if you were commuting by train, your car would be at the station you got on at, not Clontarf Road.

The station will be busy because of East Point, but more of people getting off the train and walking down to the park (or taking the shuttle for the lazier amongst us).

However the car park itself is tiny; so if you want a space, you'll need to get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

That doesn't make sense...why would East Point workers park their car in Clontarf Road station? If you were going to drive into East Point, you'd park in the business park itself, and if you were commuting by train, your car would be at the station you got on at, not Clontarf Road.

The station will be busy because of East Point, but more of people getting off the train and walking down to the park (or taking the shuttle for the lazier amongst us).

However the car park itself is tiny; so if you want a space, you'll need to get there early.

Parking in Eastpoint is very limited and many people have to wait a number of years to get a parking spot, so instead pay to park at the DART station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Parking in Eastpoint is very limited and many people have to wait a number of years to get a parking spot, so instead pay to park at the DART station.

That's odd - there are so many empty buildings in there (a long with empty spaces beside them). You'd think that they'd rent out those spots as well to those that needed them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's odd - there are so many empty buildings in there (a long with empty spaces beside them). You'd think that they'd rent out those spots as well to those that needed them.

Ah here, away with you and your sensibleness.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

January wrote: »
    Where do you live? You could walk from Clontarf to town in about 45 minutes, maybe less... In my opinion Clontarf DART is not actually in Clontarf but more Fairview end...

I live in Whitehall, and I work on Lower Baggot St. It would be a walk of about an hour and 15 minutes. However I have a knee injury at the moment so I have difficulty walking anything more than 20 mins on hard ground!

Gonna get the early train to be on the safe side, thanks for all your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you live in Whitehall, are there any of the (non Dublin Bus) airport bus services that you could use? I am not an expert on them, but I think that one of the town to airport shuttle services has a bus stop in the Whitehall/Drumcondra area.

Dunno what part of Whitehall you are in, but would the Killester Dart station not be nearer to you than Clontarf one? As others have said, the Clontarf station is more Fairview than it is Clontarf. The Kilester station is just at the bottom of Collins Ave, and there is plenty of parking available on the side streets near by. Although, parking right next to the station may be in short supply while the DB strike is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you live in Whitehall, are there any of the (non Dublin Bus) airport bus services that you could use? I am not an expert on them, but I think that one of the town to airport shuttle services has a bus stop in the Whitehall/Drumcondra area.

They are not allowed to let people on board like this, part of their license I think. Learnt the hard way when I was stranded in Bray and DB buses were cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

ProudDUB wrote: »

Dunno what part of Whitehall you are in, but would the Killester Dart station not be nearer to you than Clontarf one? As others have said, the Clontarf station is more Fairview than it is Clontarf. The Kilester station is just at the bottom of Collins Ave, and there is plenty of parking available on the side streets near by. Although, parking right next to the station may be in short supply while the DB strike is on.

That probably would be closer but I'm just familiar with Fairview cos my boyfriend lives there, so I'll just stick with what I know :o It's only about an 8 minute drive anyway so I'm not bothered about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fair enough, but if the Clontarf Dart station is full when you get there (and with the strike being on, there is a good chance it will be) you'll have a bit of a walk to find a residential street nearby to park your car, due to the station being located on a very busy main road. The Killester station is on a much quieter, residential street, so finding a parking space is generally easier.
    They are not allowed to let people on board like this, part of their license I think. Learnt the hard way when I was stranded in Bray and DB buses were cancelled.

The Aircoach airport bus stops in Drumcondra outside Quinns pub btw.

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.dublin.citycentre.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Aircoach can only drop off in Drumcondra headed towards city centre. No pick-ups allowed as per their licence

Advertisement