Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time buyer, is this a good deal?

• 05-08-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Totally beginner biker here. Hopefully will have IBT under my belt within the month and will be looking to buy a bike there after. I'm looking primarily at a Virago 535.

As I don't know anything about bikes, I wonder if it's ok to post the following Donedeal ad and ask your opinion?

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-virago-535-cc/5348575

Looks ok to me but has recently been relisted at about €350 less.

What should I look for when buying a second hand bike?

I've noticed from the pictures some rust on the frame near the rear suspension, is this something to worry about?

Any other tips on what to look for or anything that will set off alarm bells and make you walk away from the bike?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I don't know anything about Virago's and there are many links out there with in depth guides on what to check on used bikes so I won't even go there either but what I will say is wait until you have your IBT done before you go looking at a bike.

If you have never ridden a bike before you won't know what bike you will be comfortable on. The look of a bike is one thing but how comfortable you can ride it is another, you might find a different style bike suits you better after doing the IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Sound advice man. I surely will be waiting until after the IBT to make any purchase, but I'm browsing now trying to get an idea of what to budget etc, its just handy for details on a particular ad! Thanks for the tip though, will look up what to look for online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Virago is bulet proof easy going bike. if you dont need speed and you wanna take it easy - that will be excellent choise. you will like it. its very comfy and it will last forever.

check for the standard issues... ask for last service proove, at least reciept, its shaft driven so no chain or sprockets, tyres seems to be in good shape. also check suspension and check engine for some metal noice ticking while running, check for cracks and finally give her a little spin around and feel the lady:) clutch--> gearbox -->.. etc... i would say virago with 32k is nothing. they are undestroyable. if treated well with good oil. take care and gl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks very much man. Much appreciated! Now to get IBT out of the way and on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Thanks very much man. Much appreciated! Now to get IBT out of the way and on the road!

When doing your IBT get your instructors opinion on what bike would suit you best also :) After all they are there to help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement