Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnybrook fair - Grand canal docks

Options
  • 05-08-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this store has opened yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

It hasn't and haven't seen any work being done on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭timc1

I heard from them, it will be October, work men in there since 7am this morning...fair play...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

great news!

which unit have they taken?

is it on the side near the crystal boat Chinese?

Unit beside Crystal Boat, indeed......not long now.:)

Yep, next to Il Valentino.

Does anyone know what the story is with the Ocean Bar? It's been closed for a few months.

• Advertisement

The Ocean Bar appears to have 'gone under'....in fairness it did start to smell, nothing updated in over 10 years.

Yeah it always had a weird atmosphere in there and the food was sh*te.

I wonder if anyone has taken it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I don't know if anyone has taken it over. but I am pretty sure it will be taken on soon.

The marker hotel opening in the area has been a great boost and the roof top terrace in particular has been a big pull to grand canal docks.

Also, William fry the law firm have just announced they are moving 400 staff to grand canal docks with facebook taking additional space there too. I think another letting is on the verge of being reached also so the trade in the area will get a huge shot in the arm.

really good news for GCD all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Still missing a "proper pub" in the area though. I know there is ferryman. Maybe get rid of H bar and turn it into an old man pub. Thats what is needed IMO.

I'd love to see the lads who run the The Black Sheep, Against The Grain etc. take on the place.

• Advertisement

AsianDub wrote: »
    I'd love to see the lads who run the The Black Sheep, Against The Grain etc. take on the place.

great idea!!! have a word! maybe a FB petition!

Yip, a non pretentious proper pub would be welcome by most, turf fire in the winter, proper Guinness & atmosphere....

timc1 wrote: »
    Yip, a non pretentious proper pub would be welcome by most, turf fire in the winter, proper Guinness & atmosphere....

and no pint is over 5euro. couple of TV's for the football. as well some live music or something just 1 night a week....like a friday night or something! ah the smell of the smoke from the fire...perfect!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

keano2012 wrote: »
    and no pint is over 5euro. couple of TV's for the football. as well some live music or something just 1 night a week....like a friday night or something! ah the smell of the smoke from the fire...perfect!

Proper pubs should never show football.:pac:

chopper6 wrote: »
    Proper pubs should never show football.:pac:

take that back!!!!

i only want sat and sun...you can have the other 5 days!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

take that back!!!!

Manys a time i walked out of a pub if they put football on....its the most annoying thing in the world with all that noise going on and fat people in shirts roaring at the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Manys a time i walked out of a pub if they put football on....its the most annoying thing in the world with all that noise going on and fat people in shirts roaring at the telly.

Couldn't agree more. It's actually probably the main reason that for a long time I had an aversion to 'old man pubs'. Without the loud TVs they're actually fairly nice places.

i'm not fat and dont wear a jersey but like football on TV in a pub!

But I celebrate if my team score ya. Natural reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

Will Donnybrook Fair do well in the area with it being practically next door to Fresh?

It will wipe the floor with not so 'Fresh'...far superior products and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

True and fresh have just put an Insomnia in too which in my opinion is the worst coffee in the world!

Also I never buy meat in fresh it just doesn't look great always go to Doyles on Pearse st. Maybe a bit of competition is just what Fresh needs to get their act together!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Still missing a "proper pub" in the area though. I know there is ferryman.

An entrepreneur could buy one of the vacant warehouses near FaceBook and turn it into a proper pub at not huge cost.

Big demand in GCD for a regular pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I disagree, fresh is far better than DF, the most overrated food in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Cienciano wrote: »
    I disagree, fresh is far better than DF, the most overrated food in the country!

Fresh is utter muck

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Apparently it's opening tomorrow.
    FANCY FOOD STORE Donnybrook Fair is opening a fifth location in Dublin tomorrow, bringing new jobs to the city.
    The new shop will be officially opened tomorrow morning at Gallery Quay on Grand Canal Square.

http://www.thejournal.ie/donnybrook-fair-grand-canal-square-1171871-Nov2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

take that back!!!!

It's like a divorce Settlement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Cienciano wrote: »

Fresh is muck. I've been waiting for something (anything) else to open up in competition for years now. Admittedly DF is expensive but no more expensive than Fresh and the quality of their food is far better.

I got sick and tired of walking into Fresh to buy something only to find out that they arbitrarily raised the price of it by 50% overnight. Hate the place.

Ditto. Dont like Fresh. Overpriced. Nowhere near the quality of M&S.

What the GCD area badly needs is a proper supermarket. Tesco or Dunnes or Aldi or Lidl. Preferably the latter.

I hope the planners, who are currently looking at the future of the area, consider the desperate need for a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

What the GCD area badly needs is a proper supermarket.
    With the population density in that area, a second supermarket would be an obvious success.

What this newly developed area with lots of well-paid workers is also missing is a bank. Yes you can do most of your banking online, but unfortunately visiting a branch during working hours is sometimes necessary.

• Advertisement

ScottSF wrote: »
    With the population density in that area, a second supermarket would be an obvious success.

Second? I don't consider Fresh in the supermarket bracket.
    ScottSF wrote: »
    What this newly developed area with lots of well-paid workers is also missing is a bank. Yes you can do most of your banking online, but unfortunately visiting a branch during working hours is sometimes necessary.

KBC are opening a bank branch behind the Market Hotel in a few months time.

The AIB branch in the IFSC is not too far.

Advertisement