Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnybrook fair - Grand canal docks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

been honest i dont see how DF and Fresh are competitors in GCD. DF in very small with just a deli effectively. Fresh is a small mid sized supermarket. ya sure they might lose some customers midweek for lunches...but people will still use Fresh to pick up bits & pieces etc. Area crying out for a Dunnes/Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a tesco express in Ringsend.

Still that's in ringsend...still talking the bones of 20-30 minute walk return.

keano2012 wrote: »
    Still that's in ringsend...still talking the bones of 20-30 minute walk return.
    Well if you're not prepared to walk 10 minutes up the road to the competition then you're not really in any position to complain.

There's a Eurospar on Barrow St also.

Well if you're not prepared to walk 10 minutes up the road to the competition then you're not really in any position to complain.

There's a Eurospar on Barrow St also.

I didnt complain- just stated that GCD needs a tesco/dunnes of its own! I'm prepared to walk 10 not 20mins which is how long it would take me to get ringsend and back especially with groceries. Spar....are u serious now?? do my shopping in a corner shop??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Not a supermarket. It is a convenience store owned by a supermarket company. It has a much lesser range and higher prices.

Fungus wrote: »
    Not a supermarket. It is a convenience store owned by a supermarket company. It has a much lesser range and higher prices.

true.....now @MagicMarker.....everyone is looking a proper tesco/dunnes in GCD...now

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Tesco Express is pretty limited, Fresh certainly have a better selection.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I wouldn't call that Fresh a supermarket either, and I certainly don't believe that Tesco Express is more expensive. The tesco wouldn't have as much selection but it'd have most of what anyone would need.

Like I said though, if people are going to complain about the lack of options while ignoring the options around them, then I feel little sympathy.
    I didnt complain- just stated that GCD needs a tesco/dunnes of its own! I'm prepared to walk 10 not 20mins which is how long it would take me to get ringsend and back especially with groceries. Spar....are u serious now?? do my shopping in a corner shop??

You've clearly never been to that Spar.

I wouldn't call that Fresh a supermarket either,

Nor would I.
    and I certainly don't believe that Tesco Express is more expensive.

It is. Even Tesco admit as such.
    The tesco wouldn't have as much selection but it'd have most of what anyone would need.

Nah. It does not have an adequate range for a 'supermarket shop'.
    Like I said though, if people are going to complain about the lack of options while ignoring the options around them, then I feel little sympathy.

What supermarket options?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It is. Even Tesco admit as such.

Where?
    Nah. It does not have an adequate range for a 'supermarket shop'.

Never said it did.

Never mentioned supermarkets. But seeing as you ask, are you aware that you are right next to town? The majority of people don't have a supermarket on their doorstep.
    :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Clearly u haven't! It has a small selection of goods which are way over priced....only good section is the alcohol section in there. Would u do a weekly shop in there u would magicmarker? U keep saying the 'option' around...what options....20-30 min walk to ringsend and back to a overpriced tesco express...hardly foooking brilliant s it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Do not the larger Tesco stores offer a home delivery option?

Maybe do your weekly shop slightly further afield and have it delivered to you?

chopper6 wrote: »
    Do not the larger Tesco stores offer a home delivery option?

Maybe do your weekly shop slightly further afield and have it delivered to you?

ya for a fee. I have tried it and it is handy at times you do have a tendancy to overspend on rubbish!. but you cant beat going into the supermarket yourself. anyhow....lets not go off point here guys....we just want a proper supermarket in the area thats all. we dont care about ringsend or anywhere else that has one or online shopping......

we just want a proper supermarket in the area thats all.

Exactly. So who do we contact to canvas? Dublin City Council? The supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Some posho I passed by on the day this place opened called it 'Donnybrook Far'. Is that the correct D4 way to pronounce it now?

sarkozy wrote: »
    Some posho I passed by on the day this place opened called it 'Donnybrook Far'. Is that the correct D4 way to pronounce it now?

Sounds about right.....maybe extend the farrr bit

Exactly. So who do we contact to canvas? Dublin City Council? The supermarkets?

Anyone that will listen....the mayor of Dublin....actually I'd say Enda needs to know...Tesco...dunnes..the Germans....protest outside the dail anyone...all minority groups seem to be doing it these days!...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Sounds about right.....maybe extend the farrr bit

Maybe "Dannybruk Fah" ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

It would be so expensive to try and set up a new pub in GCD. Definitely it would require a Louis Fitz or Charlie Chawke Midas touch and significant financial backing. An Against the Grain would definitely do well with the Google hippies keen to distinguish themselves from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post

Yes the GCD Spar is not much to write home about but the EuroSpar (I don't know why they came up with the "Euro" branding) on Barrow Street just a few blocks away is small-supermarket sized and has most everything you need.

ya for a fee. I have tried it and it is handy at times you do have a tendancy to overspend on rubbish!. but you cant beat going into the supermarket yourself. anyhow....lets not go off point here guys....we just want a proper supermarket in the area thats all. we dont care about ringsend or anywhere else that has one or online shopping......

Well pardon me all over the place.

Why not open one yourself Your Highness?

Well pardon me all over the place.

Why not open one yourself Your Highness?

dont have the time or patience. plus how is it possible for me to open a tesco?? Tesco are not gona give me there name are they!

dont have the time or patience. plus how is it possible for me to open a tesco?? Tesco are not gona give me there name are they!

No,you're right...you should deffo canvas Enda,i'm sure he'll take time off from runningthe country to give you teh supermarket you so badly need.

No,you're right...you should deffo canvas Enda,i'm sure he'll take time off from runningthe country to give you teh supermarket you so badly need.

exactly whay i think! why should I open one anyway....every other area in dublin seems to have a tesco why shouldnt GCD?? not sure if a protest is necessary...think a stern email will suffice. I'm sure once he hears our grievances he will be very sympathetic....doesnt even need to be a big tesco (ideally it would) but a tesco express should do the job as well! We're not greedy down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

It doesn't take 15 minutes to walk to Tesco in Ringsend. Half of GCD is in Ringsend.

There's no big supermarket because there isn't the population or parking to support one. Same reason as Dunnes are refusing to open at the Point Village development.

If you want a decent pub the Oarsman is nice or skip over to The Brew Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

The Oarsman is an absolute little gem, well worth the marathon trek of hardship from GCD

ok picture the scene...it's pissing rain and it's 15walk to ringsend and back....i am not going to walk to ringsend! would be reluctant to do it on a sunny day! we deserve a tesco of our own, our compatriot Ranelagh has one without any parking. f!ck point village...that's miles away! by the sounds of it ringsend is the to be!...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

There's no big supermarket because there isn't the population or parking to support one.

Parking I have no idea but I have to disagree about the population. Between the GCD and Ringsend plus the neighborhood in Dublin 2 on the way to city centre, there are a lot of people who could use a larger supermarket within 5-10 minutes walk. There are many apartment blocks and tall buildings so the density is higher than average. Plus I imagine that more new apartments are in the development stage in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

ScottSF wrote: »
    Parking I have no idea but I have to disagree about the population. Between the GCD and Ringsend plus the neighborhood in Dublin 2 on the way to city centre, there are a lot of people who could use a larger supermarket within 5-10 minutes walk. There are many apartment blocks and tall buildings so the density is higher than average. Plus I imagine that more new apartments are in the development stage in the coming years.

There's parking behind Superquin in Ranelagh. There's also a big Tesco in Temple Bar to service Dublin 2 and the Tesco Express in Ringsend and the biggish Tesco in Sandymount are where most of Ringsend does their shop.

It ain't going to happen.

Advertisement