Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnybrook fair - Grand canal docks

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

keano2012 wrote: »
    ok picture the scene...it's pissing rain and it's 15walk to ringsend and back....i am not going to walk to ringsend! would be reluctant to do it on a sunny day! we deserve a tesco of our own, our compatriot Ranelagh has one without any parking. f!ck point village...that's miles away! by the sounds of it ringsend is the to be!...

You live in Ringsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Uaru wrote: »
    You live in Ringsend.

how on earth did you get that from all my posts? seriously? i worry about some people...i really do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

ScottSF wrote: »
    Parking I have no idea but I have to disagree about the population. Between the GCD and Ringsend plus the neighborhood in Dublin 2 on the way to city centre, there are a lot of people who could use a larger supermarket within 5-10 minutes walk. There are many apartment blocks and tall buildings so the density is higher than average. Plus I imagine that more new apartments are in the development stage in the coming years.

The place is a ghost town after hours...and most of the apartments are either empty or buy-to-lets with tenants.

It'll never be the population and business hub some people were led to beleive and opening a larger supermarket just wouldnt make economic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wouldn't call that Fresh a supermarket either, and I certainly don't believe that Tesco Express is more expensive. The tesco wouldn't have as much selection but it'd have most of what anyone would need.

Like I said though, if people are going to complain about the lack of options while ignoring the options around them, then I feel little sympathy.

You've clearly never been to that Spar.

I worked in GCD for years before I realised there was a very large Eurospar on Hanover St (sort of behind the O2 headquarters and Maldron hotel). That would be nearer than Ringsend for a lot of GCD residents particularly if they're on their way back from town. Eurospar has a lot of items much cheaper than a regular Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wouldn't call that Fresh a supermarket either, and I certainly don't believe that Tesco Express is more expensive. The tesco wouldn't have as much selection but it'd have most of what anyone would need.

Like I said though, if people are going to complain about the lack of options while ignoring the options around them, then I feel little sympathy.

You've clearly never been to that Spar.

I worked in GCD for years before I realised there was a very large Eurospar on Hanover St (sort of behind the O2 headquarters and Maldron hotel). That would be nearer than Ringsend for a lot of GCD residents particularly if they're on their way back from town. Eurospar has a lot of items much cheaper than a regular Spar.

• Advertisement

how on earth did you get that from all my posts? seriously? i worry about some people...i really do!

You said you live in Grand Canal Dock? That's part of Ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ok picture the scene...it's pissing rain and it's 15walk to ringsend and back....i am not going to walk to ringsend! would be reluctant to do it on a sunny day! we deserve a tesco of our own, our compatriot Ranelagh has one without any parking. f!ck point village...that's miles away! by the sounds of it ringsend is the to be!...

Seriously - from the Marker Hotel to Tesco Express in Ringsend (using the lock gates and the path along the Dodder) is less than 1km.
    How hard is that to walk - it's maximum 12 minutes!!

If it's raining get the 1 or 47 buses.

There are lots of areas that don't have that sort of close access to a supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Uaru wrote: »
    You said you live in Grand Canal Dock? That's part of Ringsend.

They are close but they are not the same.

Ringsend is D4, Grand Canal Dock is D2.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Seriously - from the Marker Hotel to Tesco Express in Ringsend (using the lock gates and the path along the Dodder) is less than 1km.
    How hard is that to walk - it's maximum 12 minutes!!

If it's raining get the 1 or 47 buses.

There are lots of areas that don't have that sort of close access to a supermarket.

i dont think you get it do you?! we want our own one. I dont want to take a bus or walk for 12 mins there and 12 mins back with groceries. I want want one in GCD square. Not a fresh, not DF, not a eurofcuking spar. We want our own tesco! simple! Those apartments are full to the brim. Defo enough people to warrant the opening of our own one. We are one of the best areas in dublin then why shouldnt we have what everyone else has and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

i dont think you get it do you?! we want our own one. I dont want to take a bus or walk for 12 mins there and 12 mins back with groceries. I want want one in GCD square. Not a fresh, not DF, not a eurofcuking spar. We want our own tesco! simple! Those apartments are full to the brim. Defo enough people to warrant the opening of our own one. We are one of the best areas in dublin then why shouldnt we have what everyone else has and more.

I'd be seriously looking at yourself having read that post.

As I said, plenty of people have to walk/drive at least 1km if not more to a supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I hesitate to continue this healthy (OK maybe not so healthy) debate about the merits of having a Tesco or other large supermarket in the Grand Canal Dock area. But I can't resist ;)

I honestly think a large supermarket would be justified by the local population but that it would also be a reason for people outside the area to come by this area in the evenings and weekends. What I'm talking about is a one of a kind supermarket,... better than a Tesco but fitting to the local clientele....

I would love to see a Whole Foods Market comes to Ireland. It is the biggest chain in the USA that focuses on natural and organic, but don't picture another Fallon & Byrne. It is a large supermarket with tons of products at a variety of price ranges. There are actually several locations in London (368 worldwide) so my idea isn't too far fetched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

. We are one of the best areas in dublin then why shouldnt we have what everyone else has and more.

I think you're having a laugh here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have to walk 12 mins to my local supermarket... you can't have everything right on your doorstep. Get real.

January wrote: »
    I have to walk 12 mins to my local supermarket... you can't have everything right on your doorstep. Get real.

not my fault you settle for that...2nd best....i want the best all the time.....12mins....having a laugh!

chopper6 wrote: »
    I think you're having a laugh here.

nope im not.

Mod: I think you are too, in fact I think you're trolling now. I'd advise you to think hard before you post in this thread again.

reprazant wrote: »
    They are close but they are not the same.

Ringsend is D4, Grand Canal Dock is D2.

Ringsend encompasses D4 and D2. Ask any locals and they will tell you GCD is Ringsend.

Mod: I think you are too, in fact I think you're trolling now. I'd advise you to think hard before you post in this thread again.

i should report this post to be honest. Accusations of trolling are not acceptable on boards. I got banned once for making the same accusation against someone. I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else here.
    Mod- maybe you need to think hard before posting here again?
    I am not happy about your allegations.....

i should report this post to be honest. Accusations of trolling are not acceptable on boards. I got banned once for making the same accusation against someone. I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else here.
    Mod- maybe you need to think hard before posting here again?
    I am not happy about your allegations.....

I don't think you get it. I am a moderator in this forum and I think you were taking the piss on this thread, that is my opinion as a moderator and I think it was taking away from the discussion at hand.

If you have a further problem with this you can PM me because arguing with a mod on thread is against the forum charter.

I don't think you get it. I am a moderator in this forum and I think you were taking the piss on this thread, that is my opinion as a moderator and I think it was taking away from the discussion at hand.

If you have a further problem with this you can PM me because arguing with a mod on thread is against the forum charter.

dont be throwing cheap jibes my way then. Just because you are a mod does not give you the authority to be tarnishing someones name. Are you just pissed because I disagreed with you? seriously loike...get a grip......tesco for GCD is all we want.

• Advertisement

No, not at all. I'm pissed because you're dragging a thread about Donnybrook Fair off-topic. Now if you don't mind, if you wish to discuss this further PM me, if you continue in this fashion I'll be infracting you for ignoring mod instruction.

Advertisement