Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 All Ireland Hurling Semi Final Dublin V Cork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Would Dublin have won if they had Ciaran KK? A very fine display from the Blues but probably need a couple more players to push on again. Paul Ryan never inspired confidence on the frees and did little from open play. Don't think Cork's goal was a turning point, think the game had slipped away from Dublin at that stage anyway.

Cork will start favourites in the final but still have a lot of weaknesses. Joyce, McLoughlin, the HF line and Lehane don't (yet) put great fear into anyone. Paradoxically, I think Limerick are a better team than Clare but the latter would have a better chance in the final as they'd fear them less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

the kelt wrote: »
    But to be honest hurling is already big in Dublin and has been helped by the investment the GAA have already made. Trust me even without an All Ireland hurling will continue to prosper in Dublin whereas other counties are struggling bith for funds and success.

I lived in Dublin up until 6 years ago and I noticed in my last few years living there how big hurling had got. It was if every kid in Dublin had a hurl all of a sudden and that's literally what happened. Every kid had a hurl, ye wold se the kids in the parks all hurling where before they would be kicking a soccer ball. I said it back then that Dublin would be a force in hurling and it's come to pass.

A win for any of the other counties apart from Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny and Dublin to a lesser extent will do a lot more for hurling to be honest. Dublin have the correct set up and will be fine but other hurling counties are seriously struggling, something the GAA have overlooked in my opinion.
    Can't really argue with that. I suppose the ordinary fan tends to overlook all the work done behind the scenes, and as you say, that work would be particularly good in Dublin considering the resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

MfMan wrote: »
    Would Dublin have won if they had Ciaran KK? A very fine display from the Blues but probably need a couple more players to push on again. Paul Ryan never inspired confidence on the frees and did little from open play. Don't think Cork's goal was a turning point, think the game had slipped away from Dublin at that stage anyway.

Cork will start favourites in the final but still have a lot of weaknesses. Joyce, McLoughlin, the HF line and Lehane don't (yet) put great fear into anyone. Paradoxically, I think Limerick are a better team than Clare but the latter would have a better chance in the final as they'd fear them less.

I think JBM summed it up well when he said Cork didn't play well. For me they were playing within themselves, but always doing just enough.
    Dublin have to improve to beat a Munster team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Amprodude wrote: »
    I know you are from Waterford and yous are a team that have bottled chances in the past. You can only beat whose in front of you and we beat Dublin by 5 points. Write off Cork at your peril but no team will like facing us in final thats for sure.

Well at least that's relevant! :confused:

You've obviously misinterpreted what I was saying. They are more than capable of winning the all-ireland, but what was being suggested is that the final could be quite one sided to the point where today was the real big test for Cork. I would be very surprised if it's not closely fought.

As far as I know, Daithi is the most common version of David that we have in the Irish language. I will stand corrected on that, and I am sure there are other less common ones also.

Think there is Daibhéad or Daibhí too but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think JBM summed it up well when he said Cork didn't play well. For me they were playing within themselves, but always doing just enough.
    Dublin have to improve to beat a Munster team.

A Munster team? Stop talking ****e.

You've obviously misinterpreted what I was saying. They are more than capable of winning the all-ireland, but what was being suggested is that the final could be quite one sided to the point where today was the real big test for Cork. I would be very surprised if it's not closely fought.

Have to agree. It was 1 of the thickest points I've ever read,,,and I've read a fair few dense ones...not here I must add. Most fans on this forum are knowledgeable.

Pudders wrote: »
    A Munster team? Stop talking ****e.

Well Munster teams do seem to be the stumbling block for Dublin unless my geography is out a bit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

niallo27 wrote: »
    No one is writing off cork we are just replying to posts saying that today was the real final and it's corks to lose now.

Leave em off, that's all I heard about the Cork v Clare match also, the Munster final so it was... Limerick or Clare will rattle them, Cork have been put to the pin of their collar twice now against 14 men. In truth, while they've won two great games they don't have a bench and if Limerick or Clare are within distance with 10/15 to go I think they'll go on to win.

• Advertisement

Ciaran Kilkenny, Tomas Brady, Cormac Costello would all have given Dublin extra options. To be fair i thought the panel they had was good enough to win todays game at 15 men but any team would struggle with 14.

Dublin were on top at the red. Changed the game but maybe not the result. We'll never know. Another bull**** red. 3 so far at least in the championship. And then the ref bottles the real red.

Well Munster teams do seem to be the stumbling block for Dublin unless my geography is out a bit. ;)
    See any league matches?

Dublin were on top at the red. Changed the game but maybe not the result. We'll never know. Another bull**** red. 3 so far at least in the championship. And then the ref bottles the real red.

Hard to know was Rushe's near red a result of frustration the way things had panned out on Dublins part. Yellow's are awarded for very little now it would seem.. Was at an intermediate match the other day between Tipp and Cork and the ref ruined it giving free's where there wasn't even fouls. The game was suddenly reduced to a shoot out between the two teams

See any league matches?

League matches....NO. Very few rate the league...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

You also have remember the Munster Final Cork missed awful wides.

Limerick seem to falter in Croker.

Clare also had game under their belts few weeks ago. Its all interesting anyway.

Ah here. We got a dusting by Tipp in 09 when Justin had lost the dressing room. Finals are our problem in Croke park though. We don't tend to lose semis.

In 2007 we beat Clare and Waterford in croker. In 01 we threw it away against Wexford. It's Thurles that's our graveyard but we banished that a bit against Clare last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Vanolder wrote: »
    Leave em off, that's all I heard about the Cork v Clare match also, the Munster final so it was... Limerick or Clare will rattle them, Cork have been put to the pin of their collar twice now against 14 men. In truth, while they've won two great games they don't have a bench and if Limerick or Clare are within distance with 10/15 to go I think they'll go on to win.

Bitter much? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Id agree,no matter who it is ,it will be very close,as none of the teams left have the ability of KK in the past to beat anyone out the gate.

We are far from the complete team.I want limerick,and i believe it be close but we would beat them.

Clare style would cause us more problens and they learned from June.Id be fearful of them and Davy.

I wouldnt fear allen or limerick.Clare game will tell a lot,but they have been a one trick pony,in play the team for 55 mins,then unload the bench.

To what Jbm has done tactially against KK AND today with a lesser squad is more impressive than allen.

Davy wont be afraid to make changes fast.

At least were their,no cork fan could have thought this.

fta93 wrote: »
    Cork fans were a good match in the hill. Good tit for tat atmosphere. Gracious in victory afterwards too. Some bizarre choice of flags from the Cork fans, dare I ask?!

Often think they want to bring back slavery with all the confederate flags you see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Hard to know was Rushe's near red a result of frustration the way things had panned out on Dublins part.

No player should lash out like that regardless of how things are going - its low quality. That was a very dangerous swipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

No player should lash out like that regardless of how things are going - its low quality. That was a very dangerous swipe.

Don't think anyone will disagree with you there. May have cost him an All-Star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Browney7 wrote: »
    Often think they want to bring back slavery with all the confederate flags you see

European flags might be more appropriate for that.

niallo27 wrote: »
    If you get sent off in a championship game it should be for something serious not something harmless like that. I know gaa boys hate being compared to soccer but in soccer if your on a yellow the ref will use some common sense of the player makes another harmless tackle. Why can't gaa refs use some common sense. The clowns are mad to get the red out this year. They have ruined so many games.

As Cyril said, you have an assessor up in the stands ticking boxes to these refs and this assessor is judging the ref based on what a football referee should do in a certain scenario. Doesnt work that way. Common sense has been eliminated from the equation. Cathal McCallister tried to let some sort of flow last year and was hammered in the media and thus dropped in the Championship so referees are on high alert because of this.

John Allen i think made a great point recently that refereeing needs to be separated by code. Had a look at the first yellow again. Sheer ludicrous to get a yellow for that. Absolutely sheer ludicrous. O.k the second i could understand but the first was a disaster. I dont blame Owens as such but the circumstances he is left to try referee in. He did do his best to let it flow but the way things are gone there will always be one or two occasions when he is going to have to sh*t or get off the pot. Shane Hourigan on the other hand in the minor game anally refereed the game to the standards and i suppose you couldnt blame him with the gobs*ites overruling him. Poor James Mcgrath made a decision according to the book in the semi final what he thought was right and what he was bound to by law but he was undermined. Even Diarmuid Kirwan had to deny a player water because of these 'rules'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Bitter much? :D

No, We won that Munster final...

I dont condone it and yes as i said previously he was lucky but Rushe is normally clean and i think the injustice of what happened Rodney added to the pressure he and his team were under had impact on what he done. Im not saying its right, im just trying to see his rationale for doing it.

As Cyril said, you have an assessor up in the stands ticking boxes to these refs and this assessor is judging the ref based on what a football referee should do in a certain scenario. Doesnt work that way. Common sense has been eliminated from the equation. Cathal McCallister tried to let some sort of flow last year and was hammered in the media and thus dropped in the Championship so teams are on high alert because of this.

John Allen i think made a great point recently that refereeing needs to be separated by code. Had a look at the first yellow again. Sheer ludicrous to get a yellow for that. Absolutely sheer ludicrous. O.k the second i could understand but the first was a disaster. I dont blame Owens as such but the circumstances he is left to try referee in. He did do his best to let it flow but the way things are gone there will always be one or two occasions when he is going to have to sh*t or get off the pot. Shane Hourigan on the other hand in the minor game anally refereed the game to the standards and i suppose you couldnt blame him with the gobs*ites overruling him. Poor James Mcgrath made a decision according to the book in the semi final what he thought was right and what he was bound to by law but he was undermined. Even Diarmuid Kirwan had to deny a player water because of these 'rules'

To me Football is a convenient scapegoat for the poor refereeing of hurling. There is more off the ball belts and fouls in hurling as there is in football or indeed any other sport.I played both hurling and football and got the same treatment of the ball as I'd imagine any one else got.

You think that Hurling having a separate board will make any difference. It will only make any difference if every team is refereed fairly and rules are consistently applied across the board to every team.If you think refereeing controversies will disappear and that a separate board will make everything wonderful you might be disappointed.

I dont condone it and yes as i said previously he was lucky but Rushe is normally clean and i think the injustice of what happened Rodney added to the pressure he and his team were under had impact on what he done. Im not saying its right, im just trying to see his rationale for doing it.

I for one have no problem with today's red card. The 2 in the minor were a joke, but the dub chap deserved to go.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    That's cos its the bantz, innit it bruv :cool:

Your 'avin a Giraffe aint ya mate?! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Watching Sunday game. I always laugh when see that Cork fan who always punches his 2 fists when Cork score saying "Come on, come on now lads" He seems to get on TV lot these days

shockframe wrote: »
    To me Football is a convenient scapegoat for the poor refereeing of hurling. There is more off the ball belts and fouls in hurling as there is in football or indeed any other sport.I played both hurling and football and got the same treatment of the ball as I'd imagine any one else got.

You think that Hurling having a separate board will make any difference. It will only make any difference if every team is refereed fairly and rules are consistently applied across the board to every team.If you think refereeing controversies will disappear and that a separate board will make everything wonderful you might be disappointed.

What i mean is that they are two different sports and yet the standards of football are applied to hurling and the powers that be seem to be not taking into account that its 10x faster and played with sticks. I think they need true hurling men to apply the refereeing standards to hurling. The second was a yellow today but the first was very very harsh. A game of that intensity you need to allow a small bit of give and take. He did for Rushe but i half wonder did he have regret for the first of Rodney's bookings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

13548_10151889673096042_135189458_n.jpg

Wonder which ref he will pick for the final....:D

• Advertisement

Thing about the rushe incident is that the ref will probably get a boll1ckin for not showing him a red. Common sense won't be a defence here

I for one have no problem with today's red card. The 2 in the minor were a joke, but the dub chap deserved to go.

The second was a yellow but not the first. If the first is a yellow then i dread to think where the game of hurling is going.

What i mean is that they are two different sports and yet the standards of football are applied to hurling and the powers that be seem to be not taking into account that its 10x faster and played with sticks. I think they need true hurling men to apply the refereeing standards to hurling. The second was a yellow today but the first was very very harsh. A game of that intensity you need to allow a small bit of give and take. He did for Rushe but i half wonder did he have regret for the first of Rodney's bookings?

Other than one playing with a stick and small ball and the other there are many similarities.

Both 15 against 15, same pitch dimensions, same scoring, same objective.Hurling has the same disciplines as football.There was times today were Keaney and Schutte were hauled down in front of goal but no yellow cards were given and cork got the benefit of the doubt as they have done against clare and kilkenny.Not highlighting cork as dublin no doubt had their moments too.Of course this being the magical game of hurling none of this is ever questioned when it should be-its as much a problem in hurling as it is in gaelic. Hurling has more than its fair share of cynicism.

Big teams get the big calls.No separate hurling board will ever eradicate that.

You need a few battlers in any sport, no question about that.

I may be wrong here, but as a neutral I felt cork were always in control. I had the impression they were operating in 4th gear, whereas dub were like going at a 100% and starting to overheat.

The game was level 15 times so i dunno. Cork had 10 different scorers and Dublin had 9. Cork might have had that bit more hurling in them but i think it was hard to separate them. I felt Dublin had a spell of dominance from the beginning of the second half to the red card but the red card spelled the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Browney7 wrote: »
    Thing about the rushe incident is that the ref will probably get a boll1ckin for not showing him a red. Common sense won't be a defence here

thought the ref had a good game today he contributed by not blowing his whistle all the time,the ref in the minor game could learn a lot from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Ha ha the old communist Yugoslavia and the confederate American flag :D Even Pa Cronin has the confederate flag on his helmet for some reason.

That always makes me laugh... flags that represent completely opposing political systems used by the same team :D.

shockframe wrote: »
    Other than one playing with a stick and small ball and the other there are many similarities.

Both 15 against 15, same pitch dimensions, same scoring, same objective.Hurling has the same disciplines as football.There was times today were Keaney and Schutte were hauled down in front of goal but no yellow cards were given and cork got the benefit of the doubt as they have done against clare and kilkenny.Not highlighting cork as dublin no doubt had their moments too.Of course this being the magical game of hurling none of this is ever questioned when it should be-its as much a problem in hurling as it is in gaelic. Hurling has more than its fair share of cynicism.

Big teams get the big calls.No separate hurling board will ever eradicate that.

Im not suggesting they will but they will at the very least understand the game better then the football referees who are over the refs committee. You make a good point re the cynicism and yes i would agree with the inconsistency that's there but its way to simple to pick up a stupid card these days and i cant help feeling that at the back of this there is lads who dont quite understand how hurling works. That there is bound to be contact.

I have a stream for the Sunday Game if anyone wants it pm me.

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    That always makes me laugh... flags that represent completely opposing political systems used by the same team :D

Cork are known as the Rebels meaning they were very Fenian and opposed to the likes of the treaty as well as the concept of unionism so its ironic they don flags that support communism and slavery. Not being PC about it but i think that these flag carriers (a minority i might add) have a bit of ignorance about them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Could it be that Owens gave the yellow for O'Dwyer's first challenge for being late rather than frontal?

Very soft either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just seeing the players and managers talking there

The respect and how they acknowledge the opposition must be applauded.

From fans and player point of view Hurling beats Football by miles when comes to respect and sportsmanship after a game.

Be it Tipp, Wexford or Waterford fans always had mighty banter after a game win lose or draw.

I can never say same as much in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus I thought Lorcan was great today.

Annuv wrote: »
    Could it be that Owens gave the yellow for O'Dwyer's first challenge for being late rather than frontal?

Very soft either way

Yeah he wasnt that late in fairness.

Cork are known as the Rebels meaning they were very Fenian and opposed to the likes of the treaty as well as the concept of unionism so its ironic they don flags that support communism and slavery. Not being PC about it but i think that these flag carriers (a minority i might add) have a bit of ignorance about them?

I'd argue its more ironic that they use fascist-linked flags like the Confederation flag. With reference to socialist flags, I guess it depends on which branch of socialism you adhere to. I've often been to Kilkenny matches with the flag of St. David (its a black flag with a yellow/amber cross), what the hell St. David or Wales has to do with the GAA I don't know lol. However, I like the fact that its the Kilkenny colours but it also represents my heritage, maybe its just the colours that attract the Cork fans. However, this is too deep a subject and isn't suited to a GAA thread so maybe we'd better leave it there :).

Marty Morrissey is an awful twit. "There is no other game where you have speed, skill etc". No, because all other elite sportsmen are untalented dolts :rolleyes:. I love many sports but I don't believe there's a single one which is superior to all others. I might prefer others, but that's purely opinion. If its Marty's opinion that hurling is the best then fair play to him, but I don't really need to know it. He's commentating on a match, not reciting a poem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Disappointing. There was not a 5 point difference between those two teams. The dubious sending off made a difference. Gary Maguire unfortunately spilling the ball for the goal was terrible for us too. He has made few mistakes this year.

• Advertisement

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    I'd argue its more ironic that they use fascist-linked flags like the Confederation flag. With reference to socialist flags, I guess it depends on which branch of socialism you adhere to. I've often been to Kilkenny matches with the flag of St. David (its a black flag with a yellow/amber cross), what the hell St. David or Wales has to do with the GAA I don't know lol. However, I like the fact that its the Kilkenny colours but it also represents my heritage, maybe its just the colours that attract the Cork fans. However, this is too deep a subject and isn't suited to a GAA thread so maybe we'd better leave it there :).

Marty Morrissey is an awful twit. "There is no other game where you have speed, skill etc". No, because all other elite sportsmen are untalented dolts :rolleyes:. I love many sports but I don't believe there's a single one which is superior to all others. I might prefer others, but that's purely opinion. If its Marty's opinion that hurling is the best then fair play to him, but I don't really need to know it.

Marty is a very vain man who loves the sound of his own voice. Full of himself. Id say Kent Brockman wouldnt get a look in with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 OscarCara

Just seeing the players and managers talking there

The respect and how they acknowledge the opposition must be applauded.

From fans and player point of view Hurling beats Football by miles when comes to respect and sportsmanship after a game.

Be it Tipp, Wexford or Waterford fans always had mighty banter after a game win lose or draw.

I can never say same as much in football.

Hi, long time since posting and wish I could agree but Waterford fans near me [as a Dub] were disgraceful - language, gestures, v anti-Dubs and why, why, why........... Comments re hurling purism [?], Dublin not a hurling county [??], time for the real hurling counties to win [???}. Thought it all a bit extraordinary, actually but there u go. WELL DONE THE DUBS - ATH CLIATH ABÚ - did us really proud and did the hard work [KK and Galway] for the rest, methinks. Hurlers and footballers [women and men alike] have made for a wonderful Summer. Comhghairdeas and to Anthony Daly most of all - Freeman of Dublin City campaign anyone .....:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Flukey wrote: »
    Disappointing. There was not a 5 point difference between those two teams. The dubious sending off made a difference. Gary Maguire unfortunately spilling the ball for the goal was terrible for us too. He has made few mistakes this year.

I don't think it was that bad a mistake tbf, it was a well timed flick, not sure was ever in his hand to spill. Maybe he could have flicked it out to the side, but I think any keeper is going to go to pick the ball in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just rewatched the game there on The Sunday Game, have to admit it doesn't get any easier :(

On the controversial points:

O'Dwyer's first yellow isn't a yellow, never in a million years - the direction of the run doesn't change the fact it's shoulder on shoulder. As for it being late, I can't see it being anything but a mark in the book 99% of the times I've seen it happen elsewhere. There was an air of the ref stamping authority on it at the time, sad to see my initial thoughts on it was right. The second yellow is a yellow all day long. What Eddie Brennan said is right; If the fouls were the other way around he wouldn't have been sent off. And that's tough to take.

Rushe's lash out was a red card. Folks will be crying out for consistency, I've done it myself. Hands up, he should have gotten his marching orders regardless of the spectacle that was unfolding or previous decisions. You can of course talk until you're blue in the face about how Rushe wouldn't have done it were Dublin not down to 14 men but it's all conjecture, we'll never know. He did it, he should have walked. Had my team lost after a hit like that I'd have been livid.

Ryan missed a few chances, that goal opportunity in the second half by O'Dwyer saved by Nash should have been buried low and hard. These are the inches you're talking about in a game played at high intensity from two well matched teams. Get them out on the pitch tomorrow and I maintain the result would go either way again but be a close call.

Daly was right in his post match interview, there were periods where I felt the match was being dictated by Cork with Dublin just scrapping for what they could get, mostly in the second half. Dublin were ahead six times in the first half, never by more than a single point. Ahead just once in the second half, a maximum of 2 points before Cork closed the gap and O'Dwyer was sent off.

The thing is, it's not like Dublin stopped having opportunities to win after the sending off. Cork's tactics were wrong, they never really used the extra man to significant advantage. It was still tit for tat at the hour mark. Dublin still fought, Cork still fought. And then Gary Maguire popped up the ball for it to be sniped at 65 minutes and Dublin's head dropped. Suddenly there were calamitous errors across the park, balls going to Cork players with not a Dub in sight, at one stage we ran the sliothár out with two minutes to go all of our own accord - not an ounce of pressure.

It was a spectacle worthy of promoting Hurling throughout the world, I hope the next semi-final is as much of a contest.

Here's to next time, I hope it's our day soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Just rewatched the game there on The Sunday Game, have to admit it doesn't get any easier :(

On the controversial points:

O'Dwyer's first yellow isn't a yellow, never in a million years - the direction of the run doesn't change the fact it's shoulder on shoulder. As for it being late, I can't see it being anything but a mark in the book 99% of the times I've seen it happen elsewhere. There was an air of the ref stamping authority on it at the time, sad to see my initial thoughts on it was right. The second yellow is a yellow all day long. What Eddie Brennan said is right; If the fouls were the other way around he wouldn't have been sent off. And that's tough to take.

Rushe's lash out was a red card. Folks will be crying out for consistency, I've done it myself. Hands up, he should have gotten his marching orders regardless of the spectacle that was unfolding or previous decisions. You can of course talk until you're blue in the face about how Rushe wouldn't have done it were Dublin not down to 14 men but it's all conjecture, we'll never know. He did it, he should have walked. Had my team lost after a hit like that I'd have been livid.

Ryan missed a few chances, that goal opportunity in the second half by O'Dwyer saved by Nash should have been buried low and hard. These are the inches you're talking about in a game played at high intensity from two well matched teams. Get them out on the pitch tomorrow and I maintain the result would go either way again but be a close call.

Daly was right in his post match interview, there were periods where I felt the match was being dictated by Cork with Dublin just scrapping for what they could get, mostly in the second half. Dublin were ahead six times in the first half, never by more than a single point. Ahead just once in the second half, a maximum of 2 points before Cork closed the gap and O'Dwyer was sent off.

The thing is, it's not like Dublin stopped having opportunities to win after the sending off. Cork's tactics were wrong, they never really used the extra man to significant advantage. It was still tit for tat at the hour mark. Dublin still fought, Cork still fought. And then Gary Maguire popped up the ball for it to be sniped at 65 minutes and Dublin's head dropped. Suddenly there were calamitous errors across the park, balls going to Cork players with not a Dub in sight, at one stage we ran the sliothár out with two minutes to go all of our own accord - not an ounce of pressure.

It was a spectacle worthy of promoting Hurling throughout the world, I hope the next semi-final is as much of a contest.

Here's to next time, I hope it's our day soon :)

shoulder to shoulder is side on not shoulder to front wish people would see this

• Advertisement
Advertisement