Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 All Ireland Hurling Semi Final Dublin V Cork

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post -

Breaking down the second half:

Dublin dominated a period of play before the sending off (15 minutes). They outscored Cork by 5 points to 2 in that period.

Cork dominated after the sending off. They outscored Dublin by 1-4 to 0-3 in that period.

The sending off was not warranted according to most pundits, and it clearly was the defining incident of the game, and it clearly completely changed the direction of the game.
    Yes have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Dublin's rise has been rapid and probably contrary to anyone's expectations. Even as a Dublin supporter I would've been surprised, shocked even, if we actually reached the AI final. Having said that, they are up with the big boys now and will be knocking on their door for the foreseeable future. Any superiority complex nonsense from some Cork people on this forum is just a wind up and actually detrimental to the knowledgeable, gracious Cork fans I know of who shook my hand after the match and used phrases like: "Jaysus boy, ye have some team there, and they're only going to get better!" As disappointed as I was, I'm really looking forward to the future and that is a massive consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness there plenty of cocky Dubs too. Only needed to watch few supporters after Dublin scored goal loading Cork fans to see that. Not looking to point score, but just saying it aint all one way.

My respect for true Dubs is very muched admired btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Danpad wrote: »
    Dublin's rise has been rapid and probably contrary to anyone's expectations. Even as a Dublin supporter I would've been surprised, shocked even, if we actually reached the AI final. Having said that, they are up with the big boys now and will be knocking on their door for the foreseeable future. Any superiority complex nonsense from some Cork people on this forum is just a wind up and actually detrimental to the knowledgeable, gracious Cork fans I know of who shook my hand after the match and used phrases like: "Jaysus boy, ye have some team there, and they're only going to get better!" As disappointed as I was, I'm really looking forward to the future and that is a massive consolation.

I've been saying for the past few years that the work being done at underage in Dublin was going to shine through at some stage. Right man in charge with Daly, a tight knit squad with some great people on the management committee. It was only a matter of time before it started coming through and I'm delighted for those people working hard on the ground for the past ten years that it has started coming through, and you have senior silverware this season. In every game Dublin played this year, they got better - that five week layoff from the games is a nightmare, any county hurler just wants the next game next week if you have momentum built up.

First time since 1942 that Dublin beat KK in the championship, and more impressive after a replay. It will take a few weeks, but I think Dublin hurlers have a lot to look back at and be proud of this season, and that hurt from yesterday can drive them on further

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

In fairness there plenty of cocky Dubs too. Only needed to watch few supporters after Dublin scored goal loading Cork fans to see that. Not looking to point score, but just saying it aint all one way.

Oh, absolutely. I dare say, had we won, rebel fans would've got loads of stick!

RE: the sending off. I'm not sure the game hinged on this. I think Cork had just a little bit more fire in them. Having said that, after going home and watching the recording, it was a soft sending off and I fear we've turned a corner in terms of how 'physical' the refs are letting the game be. Take that 'wildness' out of the game and I'm not sure what we'll be left with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Danpad wrote: »
    RE: the sending off. I'm not sure the game hinged on this.

It completely did. I'm not saying the Dubs would have won without it, but we certainly wouldn't have lost by 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It never is. Gob****es everywhere in Ireland unfortunately.

When the goal was scored three Cork lads in front of me let themselves go with the wanker gesture (like soccer types) toward the hill. Then on my way out i overheard a Dublin fella 'you're all a bunch of ****in knackers' to a group of celebrating Cork people.

Highly charged atmosphere gets to special types sometimes.

corny wrote: »

When the goal was scored three Cork lads in front of me let themselves go with the wanker gesture (like soccer types) toward the hill. Then on my way out i overheard a Dublin fella 'you're all a bunch of ****in knackers' to a group of celebrating Cork people.

Thankfully they are in a minority.

My opinion of Dublin fans changed completely after we beat ye in 2010 semi final. Never really been GAA rivalry between Dublin v Cork, but I often heard stories about dubs fans from other lads from other counties even though lived in Dublin for 7 year and will again next year after college.

The amount of fans in Dubs jerseys offering best wishes and fair plays I could not get over. Guys in their 20's to guys in 70's. So I knew those stories were tosh after that.

Was delighted when ye won in 2011 although beating Kerry helped, but all same the atmosphere ye create is super.

Yer Hurlers will win a AI. I am 99.99% certain.

If you look back at history of teams who have won AI a lot of them have suffered pain before claiming the big prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I've been saying for the past few years that the work being done at underage in Dublin was going to shine through at some stage. Right man in charge with Daly, a tight knit squad with some great people on the management committee. It was only a matter of time before it started coming through and I'm delighted for those people working hard on the ground for the past ten years that it has started coming through, and you have senior silverware this season. In every game Dublin played this year, they got better - that five week layoff from the games is a nightmare, any county hurler just wants the next game next week if you have momentum built up.

First time since 1942 that Dublin beat KK in the championship, and more impressive after a replay. It will take a few weeks, but I think Dublin hurlers have a lot to look back at and be proud of this season, and that hurt from yesterday can drive them on further
    Lets not forget the Key factor,that was a huge influence,Dublin under former Cork man Gerry Harrington ,and now Andy Kettle,have the will to back their rescources that made it happen.

Without a procactive county board that were willing to invest in Hurlin,none of dublins success would have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Lets not forget the Key factor,that was a huge influence,Dublin under former Cork man Gerry Harrington ,and now Andy Kettle,have the will to back their rescources that made it happen.

Without a procactive county board that were willing to invest in Hurlin,none of dublins success would have happened.

Plus you have to take your hats off to FODH, who have organised themselves and others tirelessly for the betterment of all in promoting hurling in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Rightwing wrote: »
    Exactly. I also felt if Cork got a goal in the first half, they'd pull away.

Dublin were also naive allowing Cork massive room with the short puckouts. LK made the same mistake in the munster final.

Personally from a defensive point of view, I love to see The opposition team taking a quick short puck out to their corner backs. It complicates things as the keeper has to give a good ball out, the defender has to make sure of the catch and then its likely he'll have to deal with pressure from the corner forward and most likely he'll only puck it as far as the keeper anyway. Granted giving them crazy space is stupid especially if you dont pressure the corner back but you need to give them just enough to tempt them into it too. When Tipp were doing it against Limerick I couldn't understand it as Cummins is a bloody long puck champion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Browney7 wrote: »
    Personally from a defensive point of view, I love to see The opposition team taking a quick short puck out to their corner backs. It complicates things as the keeper has to give a good ball out, the defender has to make sure of the catch and then its likely he'll have to deal with pressure from the corner forward and most likely he'll only puck it as far as the keeper anyway. Granted giving them crazy space is stupid especially if you dont pressure the corner back but you need to give them just enough to tempt them into it too. When Tipp were doing it against Limerick I couldn't understand it as Cummins is a bloody long puck champion!

It did a lot of damage yesterday tho, and also to us in the munster final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Plus you have to take your hats off to FODH, who have organised themselves and others tirelessly for the betterment of all in promoting hurling in Dublin
    Absoultey,its been one for all and all for one ,in dublin.Theres a unity between all involved in dublin hurling,which bolds well for the future.

If daly goes who would ye like to take over.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Anyone have the wide count for both teams over the 70 minutes? Match reports are coming up with nothing. Thanks in advance.

Anyone have the wide count for both teams over the 70 minutes? Match reports are coming up with nothing. Thanks in advance.

Don't have the wide counts but Dublin converted 6/12 frees and a total of 20/40 chances. Cork scored 8/10 frees (Nash 3/4, Horgan 5/6) in an overall return of 59% (25/42).

From here: http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Calm-settles-the-storm.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Lads, know i'm going to get lambasted for this but could someone PM me a link to watch/download the match apart from RTE. Missed it yesterday, family christening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did Ryan O Dwyer give the two fingers to the camera after being sent off?

Amprodude wrote: »

Just watched the entire thing from 48:00 to 51:00 on the match clock and saw nothing even remotely like that?

Edit: If it happened to a non-live camera, maybe he was referring to the fact that he had only committed two fouls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Just watched the entire thing from 48:00 to 51:00 on the match clock and saw nothing even remotely like that?

Edit: If it happened to a non-live camera, maybe he was referring to the fact that he had only committed two fouls?

Is the whole live game still available on rte player for watching? Not Des Cahill and the highlights.

Is the whole live game still available on rte player for watching? Not Des Cahill and the highlights.

Not sure, sorry. Have it recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah it will be for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

He was gutted - shortly after, they showed him sitting down in the stand with his head close to his knees ....

Just watched the minor game and 2 sending off there were crazy too. that's at least 5 this summer that were possibly serious game impacting but included 1 totally innocuous foul getting a yellow card. They need to lighten up on this doling out of yellow cards for genteel fouls ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

DoctaDee wrote: »

Of course Dublin GAA alone receiving €1 million a year for the last 6 years through special budgetary measures because Dublin is seen as a special case has helped in this development also dont forget.

this might be the incident ye are talking about

nothing major.

ryanodwyer.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »

All counties have them which is a shame ( including the 50 year old "fan" who turned around to taunt myself and the brother after the Cork goal, im sure if dublin had one wed have had people doing the same), they seem to take as much pleasure out of goading other fans as their own team winning. ITs very small minded, and the part mentioned above about the intense atmosphere only serves to increase it, really was a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The main reason why Dublin lost this game was their much higher error rate compared with Cork’s – a factor I have not seen mentioned by any of the “expert” pundits I have read or heard. This led to Dublin conceding too many scores while not availing of enough of their own scoring opportunities.

There were numerous instances of bad defending by Dublin, including failure to cut out incoming ball and prevent Cork forwards gaining possession, poor ball control in crucial situations and poor clearances. Also, on several occasions, Dublin defenders failed to move to incoming ball and were caught out by Cork players coming from behind to gain possession.

While Cork must be commended on making the most of these situations, I counted eleven cases where Cork scored as a direct result of poor Dublin defending. The most obvious example was Cork’s goal, where the unmarked John McCaffrey sent a poor clearance straight to a Cork player, with the resulting high ball into the Dublin goalmouth being poorly protected by goalkeeper Gary Maguire allowing Pat Horgan flick the ball to the net. Other clear examples included a very poor clearance from the end line by Shane Durkin just before half time which went straight to an unmarked Cork player for a point, and Niall Corcoran dropping the ball in front of the goal late in the second half which gifted Cork another point.

At the other end Paul Ryan’s three bad wides from frees had a crucial bearing on the final result. He also underhit a free which Dublin converted on the rebound. When Ryan first emerged a couple of years ago the consistency of this free taking was phenomenal, but this year his standard dropped big time and this could have cost them both games against Kilkenny, before finally coming home to roost last Sunday. Cork, by contrast, missed no scorable free (including Anthony Nash’s three long-range rockets).

Ryan also had a point cancelled for the basic error of catching the ball three times, with Nash nailing the resultant free. So instead of drawing level, Dublin found themselves two points behind. Ryan O’Dwyer also made a mess of his goal opportunity, firing a head-high shot straight a Nash. In the first half John McCaffrey had a good point opportunity but opted to run at the defence and was penalised for overcarrying.

Of course, Dublin’s biggest error of all was to lose Ryan O’Dwyer to a red card. The first yellow card was somewhat harsh but O’Dwyer has a history of being sent off which makes him something of a liability.

A lot of other things went wrong for Dublin. They lost out on two Hawkeye decisions with the ball going on the wrong side of the post. They should have got a free early in the game for a trip on Paul Ryan and had a very dubious free given against Liam Rushe for what was adjudged to be a trip on Lorcan McLoughlin. Also, Anthony Nash was at the edge of the square when Paul Ryan hit his late free from just outside the 20 metre line. The free should have been retaken. This is happening all the time at close-in frees and should be clamped down on by the GAA.

By the way, I am not from Dublin and fully congratulate Cork for their high level of performance throughout the game.

Advertisement