Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 All Ireland Hurling Semi Final Dublin V Cork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

:rolleyes:

The fact ye only have to roll out of bed to get to Croker.

Ye have no idea how easy ye have it.

Not yer fault, but just not up to scratch with rest of us;)

LMAO.. how's things. Listen of all years we really need yiz to roll over on Sunday .. we're in desperate need of a double AI to procure a massive sponsorship deal. The game will die otherwise ... ya know it makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LMAO.. how's things. Listen of all years we really need yiz to roll over on Sunday .. we're in desperate need of a double AI to procure a massive sponsorship deal. The game will die otherwise ... ya know it makes sense

lol

oh dear.:pac::pac::pac:

thanks for laugh. we needed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Rightwing wrote: »
    They need to bring out some dublin fans,,,they had a mickey mouse attendance at the leinster final.

36,657 at the Leinster hurling final, and we all know Galway don't travel

42,730 at the Munster hurling final

Hardly a difference to be hanging your cap on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Could not begrudge the Dubs a good win last week in the football - they were the better team. And when it comes to rivalry, it does not really exist between us - we have more traditional enemies.

With that said, loosing to any county twice in a week would be hard to stomach. I reckon a good game, and like our footballers last week, will be a clean game - one for the neutrals to enjoy.

But I still can't call it - We showed our ability against Kilkenny but we have no problem motivating ourselves for them.

Then, if you take away all the hurling tradition that backs up Cork, and just look at the panels and individual players, you'd have to say that Dublin are further along in their hurling development.

I just don't know.

By the way - Dublin own the Hill - in football!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

For Dublin's 1st Leinster final in years, I think it was a mickey mouse attendance. No question about that.

For Dublin's 1st Leinster final in years, I think it was a mickey mouse attendance. No question about that.

Psssst ... 2011 v Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Cork GAA crowd get treated like crap yet again and the Dubs get 15 quid off if they make both games.

We all know who GAA want to win.

Dublin are in two semi-finals. Cork exited the football at the quarter-final stage, hence no discount.

Psssst ... 2011 v Kilkenny

They didn't win that 1 ;),,,,and were never going to either ;)

They didn't win that 1 ;),,,,and were never going to either ;)

Eh don't think that was the point you were making brother. Furthermore I'm guessing your knowledge of Dublin hurling is negligible - while playing the Cats in a Leinster Final was a daunting task, Dublin went into that final having beaten them in the league final, whilst also drawing with them in the league stages, as good a mindset as any team had. ;);)

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster told me the hill is almost sold out just a few tickets left

Lads have a pikey @ tickets.ie ... better selection and no CC fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The heart says (and always will say) Dublin. The head though, is divided and leaning on the Cork side of the tie.

A little juicy tidbit was last week I shook hands with a man from Cork and his son who sat beside me after Dublin beat Cork in the football and said better luck next year. It was the same sort of thing I got from another Cork man when I was dejected in 2010. He took it badly to say the least, and responded with a "You mean better luck next week..you know, in the Hurling? Or do you only care about the football like the rest of them".

I hope we beat them and that fúcker gets a double-dose of medicine :pac:

See you on the Hill!

Eh don't think that was the point you were making brother. Furthermore I'm guessing your knowledge of Dublin hurling is negligible - while playing the Cats in a Leinster Final was a daunting task, Dublin went into that final having beaten them in the league final, whilst also drawing with them in the league stages, as good a mindset as any team had. ;);)

It is. I never said otherwise.

I would like to see more supporters get behind Dublin, they have no excuse. I was expecting a big, big crowd for that Lainster final.

I would like to see more supporters get behind Dublin, they have no excuse. I was expecting a big, big crowd for that Lainster final.

As was I, and was disappointed not to have gotten it. The hill was only full behind the goal :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You could say the same thing about Limerick for the Munster final. What excuses have they?

This is where we finally agree ! .. Hurlers deserve the full support of all Dubs that can get there. If The Hill fills full that's our 17th man ... the refs the 16th ;)

• Advertisement

As was I, and was disappointed not to have gotten it. The hill was only full behind the goal :(

Exactly. I'm for Dublin the next day, and just because I said there was a small attendance, some people think we are here to slag them.

What would Dub hurling core support be...10k ?

adrian522 wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about Limerick for the Munster final. What excuses have they?

Absolutely none. Although I was surprised how few cork fans travelled to the munster final.

The munster final in particular should have been a sellout...but the GAA did no favours claiming it was a sellout a week beforehand :rolleyes:

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Dublin are in two semi-finals. Cork exited the football at the quarter-final stage, hence no discount.

been in both semi finals before like last year and never got that 2005, 06 and 08 the same.

been in both semi finals before like last year and never got that 2005, 06 and 08 the same.

Poor form from the GAA, then factor in train tickets etc.

Poor form from the GAA, then factor in train tickets etc.

add in the fact that before we had que hours for train tickets alone.

• Advertisement

add in the fact that before we had que hours for train tickets alone.

Irish rail are a disgrace.

How much are the charging on sunday ?

Irish rail are a disgrace.

How much are the charging on sunday ?

Not sure as I am driving up but guess 70quid.

Yet we will still get great crowd.

Not sure as I am driving up but guess 70quid.

Yet we will still get great crowd.

What crowd is expected to travel up?

I think the munster final was the first match I was ever at where cork hurling support were well outnumbered. Great fans, no doubt about that.

What crowd is expected to travel up?

I think the munster final was the first match I was ever at where cork hurling support were well outnumbered. Great fans, no doubt about that.

that was in Limerick and Limerick fans were more desperate for tickets etc.

not sure how many, but will be very good crowd from Cork. Confident of that.

we always do for Hurlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The hurlers generally bring a good crowd, would say there was about 10,000 Galway fans at that game.
    Cork GAA crowd get treated like crap yet again and the Dubs get 15 quid off if they make both games.

We all know who GAA want to win.
    You do realise Cork got the same last year when they were in both semi finals??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

I agree with a fair bit of what you have written, but how is losing a semi final by 4 points matching Tipp? Was there a replay in that semi final?

Considering we were written off by the pundits, the fact we were missing 3 players with cruciate injuries yet we still kept the game alive all the way through. It is the experiences like this that teams grow from. Yes we were beaten but I believe we learnt a lot that day. There was no replay involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Mullet wrote: »
    Considering we were written off by the pundits, the fact we were missing 3 players with cruciate injuries yet we still kept the game alive all the way through. It is the experiences like this that teams grow from. Yes we were beaten but I believe we learnt a lot that day. There was no replay involved.

Thats not really matching them though.....that is giving them a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Dublin in Sunday's All-Ireland Semi-Final at 3.30pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Shane O'Neill 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Glen Rovers Bishopstown Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields
    10. Seamus Harnedy 11. Jamie Coughlan 12. Pa Cronin
    St. Ita's Newtownshandrum Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Glen Rovers Midleton

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Brian Murphy Bride Rovers
    19. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    20. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    21. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    22. Cian McCarthy Sarsfields
    23. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    25. Michael Cussen Sarsfields
    26. Michael O'Sullivan Tracton

Jimmy Barry-Murphy has made no changes in personnel to the team that defeated Kilkenny in the All-Ireland Quarter-Final. Brian Murphy returns to the panel following a serious shoulder injury sustained in a club game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thought Murphy had surgery?? Miraculous recovery.

THFC wrote: »
    Thought Murphy had surgery?? Miraculous recovery.

Absoultey ,he had but was ruled for the season.He has trained all week,bar contact training.

But he woudnt be on the panel,unless he would get sum game time,i hope.

He's presence alone is a huge bonus to Cork,and mcdonnell is in the corner,should strengthen us.

No suprises with the team.
    When are Dublin naming the team?

• Advertisement

Exactly. I'm for Dublin the next day, and just because I said there was a small attendance, some people think we are here to slag them.

What would Dub hurling core support be...10k ?

The reality is that Dublin hurling hardcore would be about 2k max. The Gaa fraternity within Dublin are very slow to get behind the hurlers. One fine sample was the replay against Kilkenny when a full set of football fixtures were listed at the same time as the throw in of the replay.

Our first league match on a Saturday night in february attracted 1,500 so to go from that to attendance of 35,000 for a Leinster final isn't bad going. Just like the cork support do not support their footballers were as we have the opposite problem but it is slowly changing.

One area the Gaa are useless at is marketing their games they seem to think it is a waste of time yet with a proper marketing exercise they would be surprised by their results.

The pricing of tickets is a joke and the Leinster Council should hold there heads in shame with their price structure. Leinster hurling and football finals were priced at €35 for stand tickets yet last weekend for all Ireland quarter finals tickets were €30.

The Gaa seem to forget there is a recession and people are choosing their games all year. You only have to look at the pubs around Croker on match day and they aren't exactly busy.

I have a season ticket withe Fai for internationals and on average each match ticket works out at €27 for a halfway line seat. The Fai changed their price structure 2 years ago as they were not selling season tickets at the prices back then but they do now.

Absoultey ,he had but was ruled for the season.He has trained all week,bar contact training.

But he woudnt be on the panel,unless he would get sum game time,i hope.

He's presence alone is a huge bonus to Cork,and mcdonnell is in the corner,should strengthen us.

No suprises with the team.
    When are Dublin naming the team?

Dublin normally name their team on Friday night after training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I thought I read that Brian didn't have surgery but visited a guy in UK that works on Jockeys when they break theirs.

I thought I read that Brian didn't have surgery but visited a guy in UK that works on Jockeys when they break theirs.
    You could be right,it didn't specify in the article.I just thought,because it was broken it would require surgery

The piece as below:

VETERAN Cork hurler Brian Murphy hasn't ruled out seeing some action before the end of the season, even if getting some game-time against Dublin on Sunday looks like a long shot.
    The defender has gone to extraordinary lengths to get back from the shoulder injury he suffered in a club game in late June which looked to have finished his season.
    A friend of Murphy's, Joe O'Neill, who works in the racing industry in England, has pointed him in the direction of Dr Philip Pritchard in Birmingham who has a reputation for getting jockeys with collarbone problems quickly back in the saddle.
    "He told me that if I was a jockey, he'd hope to have me back in two weeks," Murphy revealed. "So far, it's going well. It has given me hope."
    Against all expectations, he is back training with the Rebels again and, given his experience, Cork would be thrilled to get any game-time out of him. Murphy remains just one of two players left among the four semi-finalists (along with Cork team-mate Tom Kenny) to have won an All-Ireland medal on the field of play.

Mullet wrote: »
    The reality is that Dublin hurling hardcore would be about 2k max. The Gaa fraternity within Dublin are very slow to get behind the hurlers. One fine sample was the replay against Kilkenny when a full set of football fixtures were listed at the same time as the throw in of the replay.

Our first league match on a Saturday night in february attracted 1,500 so to go from that to attendance of 35,000 for a Leinster final isn't bad going. Just like the cork support do not support their footballers were as we have the opposite problem but it is slowly changing.

One area the Gaa are useless at is marketing their games they seem to think it is a waste of time yet with a proper marketing exercise they would be surprised by their results.

The pricing of tickets is a joke and the Leinster Council should hold there heads in shame with their price structure. Leinster hurling and football finals were priced at €35 for stand tickets yet last weekend for all Ireland quarter finals tickets were €30.

The Gaa seem there is a recession to forget and people are choosing their games all year. You only have to look at the pubs around Croker on match day and they aren't exactly busy.

I have a season ticket withe Fai for internationals and on average each match ticket works out at €27 for a halfway line seat. The Fai changed their price structure 2 years ago as they were not selling season tickets at the prices back then but they do now.

Very good post. If you look at the q/fs in Thurles, there was a poor overall attendance. Ticket prices must be too expensive across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

You could be right,it didn't specify in the article.I just thought,because it was broken it would require surgery

The piece as below:

VETERAN Cork hurler Brian Murphy hasn't ruled out seeing some action before the end of the season, even if getting some game-time against Dublin on Sunday looks like a long shot.
    The defender has gone to extraordinary lengths to get back from the shoulder injury he suffered in a club game in late June which looked to have finished his season.
    A friend of Murphy's, Joe O'Neill, who works in the racing industry in England, has pointed him in the direction of Dr Philip Pritchard in Birmingham who has a reputation for getting jockeys with collarbone problems quickly back in the saddle.
    "He told me that if I was a jockey, he'd hope to have me back in two weeks," Murphy revealed. "So far, it's going well. It has given me hope."
    Against all expectations, he is back training with the Rebels again and, given his experience, Cork would be thrilled to get any game-time out of him. Murphy remains just one of two players left among the four semi-finalists (along with Cork team-mate Tom Kenny) to have won an All-Ireland medal on the field of play.

He didn't have surgery as it says this in the Examiner...

Pritchard manipulated the bone back into place, and though Sunday’s All-Ireland semi-final against Dublin may come too soon, Murphy is back in training with the county squad.

He didn't have surgery as it says this in the Examiner...

Pritchard manipulated the bone back into place, and though Sunday’s All-Ireland semi-final against Dublin may come too soon, Murphy is back in training with the county squad.

Sound ,jesus it sounds painful .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can't believe Conor Lehane has retained his place. Surely his performances so far have not merited it? I would put Cathal Naughton in there, his pace on the wide open spaces of Croker would be much more useful.

grenache wrote: »
    Can't believe Conor Lehane has retained his place. Surely his performances so far have not merited it? I would put Cathal Naughton in there, his pace on the wide open spaces of Croker would be much more useful.

Jesus no way.We would be beaten before a ball be thrown in, if naughton started.Too many chances he had and failed.

Theres come a crossroads where potential HAS to be turned in to reality on the ptich,and he has failed the last three years.

He will be lucky to be a sub,and when cork have a stronger panel next year,he wont make the cut.He like cussen are their as we are limited on the panel in cover.

One belt from Hiney,and naughton would be no where to seen.He is afraid of hes own shadow.

Lehane has been poor,but still got two good point,that he had to Work hard for against KK,fought for a crucial dirty ball that he took severe punishment of 3 clare defenders,before laying off the crucial pass to willam Egan,that scored the crucial equalising point against clare at the start of the second half.

Naughton simply wont do or never has earned a score,he waits on others,to create,and Dublin will be very physical sunday.

Lehane is still very young and raw compared to naughton.

He will come good,and id expect a good display on sunday.

• Advertisement

Jesus no way.We would be beaten before a ball be thrown in, if naughton started.Too many chances he had and failed.

Theres come a crossroads where potential HAS to be turned in to reality on the ptich,and he has failed the last three years.

He will be lucky to be a sub,and when cork have a stronger panel next year,he wont make the cut.He like cussen are their as we are limited on the panel in cover.

One belt from Hiney,and naughton would be no where to seen.He is afraid of hes own shadow.

Lehane has been poor,but still got two good point,that he had to Work hard for against KK,fought for a crucial dirty ball that he took severe punishment of 3 clare defenders,before laying off the crucial pass to willam Egan,that scored the crucial equalising point against clare at the start of the second half.

Naughton simply wont do or never has earned a score,he waits on others,to create,and Dublin will be very physical sunday.

Lehane is still very young and raw compared to naughton.

He will come good,and id expect a good display on sunday.

Well I've heard all the above on many occasions from Cork fans, and I do agree that he is flakey and won't earn the hard yards. I still think he could do a job though.

Lehane always seemed to play better at 11, i'd be more inclined to put him there and switch Coughlan to the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Dublin will win this one tbh, think they're further ahead of Cork atm. I mean it's going to be very tight, for sure, and Cork will have had a big confidence boost following the KK win, and the return of Murphy will be good but still... Dublin have beaten KK too, and looked electric against (an admittedly very poor) Galway side.

Cork will not be as stupid tactically as Galway are, and Dublin can't revert to the wastefulness that hindered them in early games, if they do, it will end up like Cork-Clare again. But if they can feed Dotsy/Ryan some sort of good ball, I'd expect them to notch a few scores.

Cork also don't really have the impact up front on the bench...they have Moylan and McCarthy, but neither are world-beaters and the likes of Naughton and Cussen aren't going to scare anyone. The return of Murphy is a boost if they need to man-mark someone having a good game.

Dublin have a stronger bench, an excellent defence...the spine of Kelly-Rushe-Boland-McCaffrey is very skilful and in-form. Keaney is having a very good season too. I just can't see the likes of Lehane and O'Farrell making enough of an impact, they've not hit top form all year and I don't see the Dublin defence allowing much leeway.

Harnedy & Cronin are again key men for Cork, and they need Horgan to produce aswell, but I don't know if he'll play as well again. But if they can stop Rushe and Carton for dominating and squeeze out the full-forward line, they may have a chance...O'Neill and O'Sullivan are both top defenders.

If Limerick were to reach the final, I'd rather face Cork than Dublin but I just think Dublin will have a bit too much for them. I'm going to predict a 3-point winning margin.

(Anyone know if the minor game is on tv?)

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think Dublin will win this one tbh, think they're further ahead of Cork atm. I mean it's going to be very tight, for sure, and Cork will have had a big confidence boost following the KK win, and the return of Murphy will be good but still... Dublin have beaten KK too, and looked electric against (an admittedly very poor) Galway side.

Cork will not be as stupid tactically as Galway are, and Dublin can't revert to the wastefulness that hindered them in early games, if they do, it will end up like Cork-Clare again. But if they can feed Dotsy/Ryan some sort of good ball, I'd expect them to notch a few scores.

Cork also don't really have the impact up front on the bench...they have Moylan and McCarthy, but neither are world-beaters and the likes of Naughton and Cussen aren't going to scare anyone. The return of Murphy is a boost if they need to man-mark someone having a good game.

Dublin have a stronger bench, an excellent defence...the spine of Kelly-Rushe-Boland-McCaffrey is very skilful and in-form. Keaney is having a very good season too. I just can't see the likes of Lehane and O'Farrell making enough of an impact, they've not hit top form all year and I don't see the Dublin defence allowing much leeway.

Harnedy & Cronin are again key men for Cork, and they need Horgan to produce aswell, but I don't know if he'll play as well again. But if they can stop Rushe and Carton for dominating and squeeze out the full-forward line, they may have a chance...O'Neill and O'Sullivan are both top defenders.

If Limerick were to reach the final, I'd rather face Cork than Dublin but I just think Dublin will have a bit too much for them. I'm going to predict a 3-point winning margin.

Minor game is advertised as being on tv. Saw the ad for it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Fireball07 wrote: »

Agree with this fully. I think Dublin will edge it. If they reproduce the displays they have showed so far they will overrun Cork. I would love to see a Limerick Dublin final Up the Dubs

grenache wrote: »
    Well I've heard all the above on many occasions from Cork fans, and I do agree that he is flakey and won't earn the hard yards. I still think he could do a job though.

Lehane always seemed to play better at 11, i'd be more inclined to put him there and switch Coughlan to the corner.
    Id agree lehane is food for thought at 11.

Naughton has the talent but sadly lacks the temperament required.He's best position is Left back or right outside.Simply not good enough to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I still can't call this game.

Just gonna head in and see what happens really.

COYBIB.

• Advertisement

Got a "surprise" ticket for soccer match in Aviva on Saturday :o a match I've no interest in.. there goes my Sunday in Croker as I'd never get the shackles off 2 days in a row :rolleyes:

Got a "surprise" ticket for soccer match in Aviva on Saturday :o a match I've no interest in.. there goes my Sunday in Croker as I'd never get the shackles off 2 days in a row :rolleyes:

Pass off the soccer ticket, you're missing a piece of history :D

Absolutely.

Liam Dunne is going for Cork/Limk final. Bear in mind Wex played both Dublin & Clare.

Yeah can't pass off me young lad tho :D ... and him with his new 'pool jersey - Countinho if ya don't mind.......

Absolutely.

Liam Dunne is going for Cork/Limk final. Bear in mind Wex played both Dublin & Clare.

The thoughts of Liam Dunne are like a poor radio reception ... just don't register with me

• Advertisement
Advertisement