Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 All Ireland Hurling Semi Final Dublin V Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    If I was a Dublin fan I'd be more inclined to give out about Maguire for that hash-up than I would the referee.

To be honest, I don't believe you would. I certainly wouldn't. It's easy to say that, and trust me I don't want to start a County war, but like there was plenty of Kilkenny fans giving out about referees in the last 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

We expect to win everything in Cork....that's the way our county is built.

I wasn't referring to Cork. I was referring to your comment "Dublin and all Ireland hurling final just doesn't sound right".

They beat Wexford, Kilkenny and Galway and narrowly lost to Cork today.

You're comment reeks of arrogance and is downright disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Great match, shame it had to be decided by a sending off that wasn't really a sending off. If that hadn't happened, I reckon Dublin would have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

This morning all 4 sides were 13/5.
    The new odds are 4/5 Cork, 11/4 Limerick and 7/2 Clare.
    Looks ominous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

the kelt wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if he ploughed through him or not. Both were yellows plain and simple harsh are not, if you are on a yellow card then you don't go and get yourself another guaranteed yellow as you admitted yourself.

Even at that Dublin could still have won, missed frees for example, 2 up and and a free to go 3 up with 15 men, small margins and more missed frees after that.

The fact is Dublin should have finished with 13 men and not even 14 yet no one is mentioning it.

But its not "plain and simple" because not everybody thinks the first was a yellow, particularly the panel who have been generous by stating it was simply "soft". Had the second yellow not been given, the incident later (that was a red ) would not be a talking point because it was a swing born out of frustration.

The reason most people aren't talking about Dublin ending with 13 was because they shouldn't of been down to 14 when the "red card" incident took place . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

For me the first yellow was very harsh because it was a effort to make a fair shoulder to shoulder charge (and I think it was), in a physical sport like hurling a yellow should be reserved for the sort of frontal charge where the intent is to injure your opponent.

As for Dalo, class act feel free to come home anytime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I feel bad for Dublin, at the same time I'm delighted the Liam McCarthy is coming to Munster this year.

Very interested to see the standard of the Limerick/Clare game next week. I'm hoping this years champions are in that semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jacool wrote: »
    This morning all 4 sides were 13/5.
    The new odds are 4/5 Cork, 11/4 Limerick and 7/2 Clare.
    Looks ominous!

That's because cork was one game to win the all ireland while the other teams have two. Anyway the bookies have got it wrong all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

haha deluded post, so it was harsh but the dub that wiped across cork player should of seen red so you would of went down to 14 men anyways. dont blame ref, the better team won end of

• Advertisement

baldymac wrote: »
    haha deluded post, so it was harsh but the dub that wiped across cork player should of seen red so you would of went down to 14 men anyways. dont blame ref, the better team won end of

Good to see the good grace of Cork is shining through as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Was at the game very disappointed, sending off very harsh.

was it a sending off? Wat happened when the Dublin player was left in a heap in the first half?

Thought a lot went with cork until the sending off some strange decision(20 yard free not given, though may be able to see why on tv)

Still a good year for Dublin hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭roshje

TV panel never mentioned that Rushe foul

what im saying was fact he should of got red but got yellow and better team won, your all moaning about the sending off but turning blind eye to what should of been a red card but got yellow instead

Yes because the game would have panned out exactly the same way haha=-O

Def better team first half, tide had definitely turned in Dublins favour up to the sending off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    There's no point talking about 15 vs 15, he merited to be sent off, and in fact it should've been 15 vs 13, so he has no-one to blame but himself.

Incredible game. I really like this Cork team, their style of play is very exciting, and it would be grossly unfair to not give fair dues to Dublin who likewise were very very good. Feel this year will be a mirror image of last, provincial runners-up beating provincial winners in the All-Ireland.

The way Cork have developed I fear a little for the big one in September
    because I think they could be too far ahead of Limerick or Clare.

No, he didn't merit being sent off.

Dont lose the run of yourself. You beat a 14 man Dublin team due to the referees (poor) decisions on one player.

There is a team from Limerick that everyone always had to get by.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I feel bad for him tbh. I couldnt believe he was on one yellow because there wasnt a dirty stroke in that whole game up to that point. the overlords are hell bent of making it a no contact sport it would seem

Hurling is the only game that has a massive audience in Ireland of all sports that is very physical and a lot is let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

culchie referees. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Daly got his tactics wrong, improved a bit in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

It doesn't matter if he ploughed through him or not. Both were yellows plain and simple harsh are not, if you are on a yellow card then you don't go and get yourself another guaranteed yellow as you admitted yourself.
    I'd say people wouldn't have an issue if there was consistency in all tackles.
    I've just been watching the post-match analysis there and I saw 2 Cork defenders tackle inrushing forwards and they both missed their "shoulder to shoulder" challenges and committed fouls exactly like the first booking for O'Dwyer.

They never showed "the pull" but judging by the comments here that should have been a straight red, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

People hate a sore loser but a sore winner is even worse imo.

Get a grip.

Fwiw Dublin fans that are blaming the ref are just full of sour grapes. It's not the refs fault Ryan missed handy frees, or we missed a goal chance. Cork were slightly more fluid in taking their scores and better from place balls. Better team won, only just.

• Advertisement

so we have the deluded dubs saying if it was 15v15 they would of won no1 will ever no what would have happened so dont say it.

roshje wrote: »
    TV panel never mentioned that Rushe foul

Because they have some bit of tact and decency, and don't kick people when they're down by bringing up pretty irrelevant incidents. Think a few people here could learn a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

manual_man wrote: »
    culchie referees. That is all

That's it, come to think of it, where is Ryan O Dwyer from? The Liberties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

Hurling is the only game that has a massive audience in Ireland of all sports that is very physical and a lot is let go.

Translate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Rightwing wrote: »
    Daly got his tactics wrong, improved a bit in the 2nd half.

They played none of those crossfield balls into the corners that worked so well in the previous two games and got them a lot of scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Rushe's lash out was red no doubt.

Do you think Rushes frustration would have been there had Ryan not been sent off ?

The team with 15 men won it in the end.

marco_polo wrote: »
    They played none of those crossfield balls into the corners that worked so well in the previous two games and got them a lot of scores.

Yeah, another thing is going score for score with cork is likely to end in failure,,,should have had an extra man back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

That's it, come to think of it, where is Ryan O Dwyer from? The Liberties?

And where is Niall Corcoran from ?
    Ballybough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The second yellow/red turned the game in Cork's favour. Up until then Dublin were building momentum, and it all came apart after that. Rushe's foul seemed to have been born out of some frustration. Who's to say that that foul would have even happened had O' Dwyer not been sent off prior? There were plenty of times that Cork should have been penalized and weren't too. Refs are ruining the game, tbh.

Sure, it's neither here nor there at this stage anyway. Hopefully the next semi-final is as good.

Would love to have seen 15 vs 15, shame it hinges on a decision, great game

I think most would agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

jacool wrote: »
    I'd say people wouldn't have an issue if there was consistency in all tackles.
    I've just been watching the post-match analysis there and I saw 2 Cork defenders tackle inrushing forwards and they both missed their "shoulder to shoulder" challenges and committed fouls exactly like the first booking for O'Dwyer.

They never showed "the pull" but judging by the comments here that should have been a straight red, no?

You can be sure it would have been a straight red if Dublin had 15 on the field at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

I've never seen a player in any game be booked for the first tackle after 50 seconds. Especially for an innocuous shoulder that the Cork man turned into rather than being hit with it.

Rushe's swipe was bad obvioisly but he wouldn't make that had wrong decisions not have gone against Dublin. He was also fouled about four times by various men before the ref eventually gave free. So understand his frustration even tho he shouldn't have retaliated.

No ones saying Dublin would have won the game with 15, but it clearly changed it. Dublins heads went because of the understandable frustration. With 15 at level scores who knows..

Credit to Cork, they created scores easier than us, and classily finished it off.

Proud of Dublin, promotion, silverware and a good go at an AI Sf. Majority of Dubs woulda took that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Its not the ref's but these idiot assessors who are football men trying to implement the same refereeing standards for hurling. There wasn't one dirty stroke that whole game up to Rodney's sending off.
    to be fair that wasn't dirty either,Refs have decided the outcome of too many games this year.I thought there were three harsh reds in croker today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh that was beautiful.

The Real GAA Capital boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Better and more skillful team won in the end. Dublin could easily have ended the game with 13 players. Well done Cork and lets hope next week we have a game of similar quality. Both teams played the game in great spirit. Anthony Daly/JBM are a credit to hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

The second yellow/red turned the game in Cork's favour. Up until then Dublin were building momentum, and it all came apart after that. Rushe's foul seemed to have been born out of some frustration. Who's to say that that foul would have even happened had O' Dwyer not been sent off prior? There were plenty of times that Cork should have been penalized and weren't too. Refs are ruining the game, tbh.

Sure, it's neither here nor there at this stage anyway. Hopefully the next semi-final is as good.
    If/buts/maybes. Better team won in the end.

Credit to Cork. The took their opportunity and best of luck to them in the final. JBM certainly has the midas touch and i believe a nicer man you could not hope to meet. Still think Dublin were starting to take charge until the sending off though. Johnny McCaffrey was dropping back a bit and they were shoring up slightly and they were finding space around that middle third. Keaney in particular was running riot. When Rodney got the red, Cork had the spare man there in the backs and it made a huge difference.

I will say Rushe is a very lucky boy and the ref used his own discretion in that incident as otherwise the game would have been dead in water had the red been shown. That said i believe it was a good clean game up to Rodney getting the red and i couldnt see a red in the game but referees are been harassed into this systematic form of refereeing which is killing the game. The 2 minors got yellows earlier for absolutely nothing. I dont blame the refs, i blame the rule makers who need to cop on and leave real hurling men decide. You cant apply the same template of refereeing to hurling as you do to football.

No question the better team won. Dublin lucky to have another man still on field of play. Ref bottled it. Just glad it did not cost us.

Cork deserved the win.

To beat cork you have use the KK model....and rough them up a bit.

• Advertisement

Tobyglen wrote: »
    If/buts/maybes. Better team won in the end.

I thought Dublin were slightly the better team up until the sending off. They are a very skillful side. Sometimes the better team doesn't always win.

fta93 wrote: »
    I've never seen a player in any game be booked for the first tackle after 50 seconds. Especially for an innocuous shoulder that the Cork man turned into rather than being hit with it.

Rushe's swipe was bad obvioisly but he wouldn't make that had wrong decisions not have gone against Dublin. He was also fouled about four times by various men before the ref eventually gave free. So understand his frustration even tho he shouldn't have retaliated.

No ones saying Dublin would have won the game with 15, but it clearly changed it. Dublins heads went because of the understandable frustration. With 15 at level scores who knows..

Credit to Cork, they created scores easier than us, and classily finished it off.

Proud of Dublin, promotion, silverware and a good go at an AI Sf. Majority of Dubs woulda took that.

I agree that there wasnt much in the first, but I dont think the time should be taken into account. Tadhg Kennelly openly admitted to intentionally elbowing Nichola Murphy I think it was a the start of the 2009 all-ireland football finally on purpose in his book. He did cos he knew he'd get away with it. Don't think that should be tolerated.

The two instances aren't comparable, just making that point that judge the incident rather than when it happened. Similarly actually, the second yellows Shane Bennett and Kevin Kenny got in the Minor game wouldn't have been yellows iff they were the first fouls of the game. That is a big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Credit to Cork. The took their opportunity and best of luck to them in the final. JBM certainly has the midas touch and i believe a nicer man you could not hope to meet. Still think Dublin were starting to take charge until the sending off though. Johnny McCaffrey was dropping back a bit and they were shoring up slightly and they were finding space around that middle third. Keaney in particular was running riot. When Rodney got the red, Cork had the spare man there in the backs and it made a huge difference.

I will say Rushe is a very lucky boy and the ref used his own discretion in that incident as otherwise the game would have been dead in water had the red been shown. That said i believe it was a good clean game up to Rodney getting the red and i couldnt see a red in the game but referees are been harassed into this systematic form of refereeing which is killing the game. The 2 minors got yellows earlier for absolutely nothing. I dont blame the refs, i blame the rule makers who need to cop on and leave real hurling men decide. You cant apply the same template of refereeing to hurling as you do to football.

Exactly- by the book it was a merited sending off as both tackles were technically yellow card offences.

As I said before- I probably wouldn't have sent him off as the game wasn't dirty and I would have given the benefit of the doubt.

The thing is in all this the ref is probably the person who should have least blame attached to him out of the rule makers/the player /the ref.

Rightwing wrote: »
    To beat cork you have use the KK model....and rough them up a bit.

Or else score a few goals against them. They carry no goal threat themselves.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Or else score a few goals against them. They carry no goal threat themselves.

It appears they don't,,,,but the fookers could go goal crazy in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

There were 2 'coming togethers', one in the first half involving Paul Ryan and (I think) Shane O Neill. One in the second half involving Peter Kelly. Both incidents almost identical, the first the ref played on, the second he blew for a free to Cork.

Also a Dublin forward bending down to pick the ball got a blatant push in the back under the Cusack Stand in the 2nd half.

The latter incident was simply poor refereeing, the first 2 inconsistent reffing.

• Advertisement

Oh that was beautiful.

The Real GAA Capital boy.

1-1 now to be fair they did beat ye in the football last week ;)

No tbf congrats but i think it was a closer game 15 v 15 and would have taken a stroke of class at that stage from either team to snatch victory. The red tilted it in Corks balance and i felt the same when it happened to Cork v Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Gutted for the Dubs. This was our big chance. Every year after we had a good year, 09 and 11 we have followed it up with some absolutely shocking years. Hopefully we can rectify that next year and be at the top table year on year.

Well done to Cork. Good to see them back and competitive. Its been the best hurling championship in over a decade. Hopefully they stay as competitive.

What happened in the off the ball incident in the first half? was it shown on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭roshje

Because they have some bit of tact and decency, and don't kick people when they're down by bringing up pretty irrelevant incidents. Think a few people here could learn a thing or two.

well if you argue someone was unlucky to be sent off you should also say someone was lucky to stay on ....a bit of balance analysing its called.. thats what there paid to do

No tbf congrats but i think it was a closer game 15 v 15 and would have taken a stroke of class at that stage from either team to snatch victory. The red tilted it in Corks balance and i felt the same when it happened to Cork v Limerick

It did change it, but it was a sending off. Ref should have done same again, but in fairness it was not dirty but rules are rules.

Dublin are coming good no question. Had they won today they would have won AI imo. I am not as confident with us in final say 55/45 in our favour. I dont know why that is cause I think we are as good as Dublin(and showed today).

• Advertisement
Advertisement